Black Friday Personal Shopper Service

vsa3janes

I am curious if anyone has thought of offering this service for a minimal fee?

I personally do not shop on BF. My goal is to have my shopping completed by then and be home putting up my Christmas tree. But I know some of you love to shop on this day.

My boss can't stand to be in crowds and said she has considered paying someone to do her shopping. One year my sister in law offered me cash to do her shopping. (I did it for free)This made me think there are probably other people that feel the same way.

With so many trying to make extra cash in these days I wondered if this service might be a way for those of you that do shop to make a few extra dollars.

Just thought I'd throw this out in case some of you might think it is worth looking into.

IMO I would only do it for people I worked with or good friends. This way I know they would pay me back for the purchases.

What do you think? Would this be something you are interested in?

I actually offered to do it for a friend of mine. She can never go she is a radio DJ and will be broadcasting live that day. I told her to make a list and I will see what I can do, she said she will give me something for it but we never went any further. I figured she can not help it she can not get out and shop on this day.

She laughed when I told her I am one of those 4am people, she said all you early risers for this day are crazy. I said I know aren't we!

Careful, you could be "stealing" a doorbuster from someone behind you a few places in line who wants to buy it for themself. :)

I think it's no different than going out, standing in line for hours on end, and either selling the ticket or buying the product and then sell it for some more $$$ on ebay or craigslist. You're basically having someone pay you for the time you've spent out in the cold, waiting in line(s), whatever. Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with it (just don't grab every single ticket, unless you're prepared to actually buy that item).

If it wouldn't end up being much extra trouble, I'd just charge X amount over the purchase price of any item you get for them. Here in TN I'd probably charge 20% over the ad price (9.75% or so for tax, 10.25% or so for me). Charging for each store you have to go to might be good in theory, but what if you can only get two out of five items? Or what if they have you buying a couple dozen things, since you're charging per trip and not per item? If you charge per item, then it's no big deal if you don't get every item on their list (and make sure they understand you may not be able to get all the doorbusters they want).

How much would you perform this service for? Anyone that could afford to pay me doesn't need door busters.

I don't think it would have to be the doorbuster but just items they didn't want to go out to shop for.

The cost would be either a percentage of the items, plus taxes, or a flat rate for the time you spent shopping.

If they can afford to pay full price all the better. You could shop for them and not worry about finding a bargain price.

Apple has Personal Shopping Concierge service all year, but during the holidays (starting on BF) they really "bump" up the amount of people working with you. You don't have to make an appointment (like you usually do) during the holidays.

I say if they can afford a personal shopper they probably don't need a great deal. Get their list figure out approximate regular retail and tax before any deals we find here. Tell them the items should cost around $x.xx get the money up fron,t tack on a flat fee for your services. Any savings that you can get would be an extra bonus for yourself you earned it.

Hi,

I do this service for most of the people that I work with. As you can see by my avatar, a lot of my friends can't make it to the stores. My nephew thinks I should charge for this service, but I just do it as an act of friendship. This year I have to be more careful about keeping receipts separate. Collecting money when I can't find the receipts is not fun.

Darla

I have offered this service to family & friends for over seven years. I always make sure there is an understanding that doorbusters are not guarenteed. Most of the time I get the money up front. The only time I charge a fee is if I am going to a store not on my list and that is not in the same parking lot as a store I am going to. I have been lucky to have people tell me to buy something for myself as a thank you. Fingers Crossed for this year - As most of the lists I have received have been for items that I have been able to get great deals on already, hopefully there will still be a reason to go out...