Anyone from the Metro Detroit or Grand Rapids, MI area?

nedsw33

Hey,

I'll be up in Michigan this year for Black Friday and I was wondering if anyone in the area waited in line at their local Best Buy for last years Black Friday? I was wondering about what time people were lining up last year in MI? I was up there in 2005 and 10pm was the time the first guy showed up and he said it was about Midnight before the next guy showed up (wish it was still that way...). I know each year gets earlier and earlier, but was wondering if anyone was up there last year.

Down here in the DFW, TX Metroplex I showed up at my local Best Buy on Thursday at around 4pm last year and there were about 30 people already lined up. I know people typically haven't lined up QUITE as early in MI because it's SOOOO COOOOLD.

Anyone got any local info? Thanks!

"Going Strong 6 BF's in a Row!"

Hey,

I'll be up in Michigan this year for Black Friday and I was wondering if anyone in the area waited in line at their local Best Buy for last years Black Friday? I was wondering about what time people were lining up last year in MI? I was up there in 2005 and 10pm was the time the first guy showed up and he said it was about Midnight before the next guy showed up (wish it was still that way...). I know each year gets earlier and earlier, but was wondering if anyone was up there last year.

Down here in the DFW, TX Metroplex I showed up at my local Best Buy on Thursday at around 4pm last year and there were about 30 people already lined up. I know people typically haven't lined up QUITE as early in MI because it's SOOOO COOOOLD.

Anyone got any local info? Thanks!

"Going Strong 6 BF's in a Row!"

I know that we have a few local GR people on here, but other than them, i think i am closest. Muskegon area (20 min or so) Our BB here on the lakeshore we (MOST OF US) start

about 3:00pm or so thanksgiving day. one guy (an employee of said store) had been there since they closed the night before, but he was nuts) last year was sleeting and we still were out. You can come camp with me out here if you like... but you supply the coffee!

It is relativley calm, but every town has a few idiots!

FYI- I swear Grand Rapids BB was one of the clips posted on here where people were being trampled and beaten upon opening.... i may be wrong though!

I'm GR native and still go there to shop... if you really want something better plan to have your turkey dinner at BB, doesn't matter whether you're going to Grandville, GR or Comstock Park store it's all the same. Get there by noon on Turkey Day.

And for Lusha, you are thinking of the Grandville WalMart where people were being trampled. All over the news all over the country... glad I wasn't in that line! In fact I still have the article I clipped from the Press...

I'm GR native and still go there to shop... if you really want something better plan to have your turkey dinner at BB, doesn't matter whether you're going to Grandville, GR or Comstock Park store it's all the same. Get there by noon on Turkey Day.

And for Lusha, you are thinking of the Grandville WalMart where people were being trampled. All over the news all over the country... glad I wasn't in that line! In fact I still have the article I clipped from the Press...

Sorry, i knew it was either/or... but geeze, did walmart actually have anything that great? and in grandville none the less...gak! but thats a good rule of thumb, If you want a computer, get there (atleast) the day before.

Hello :)

I live in Metro Detroit (Taylor) actually ;), 2 years ago I camped out when BB was still located in Southgate (It recently moved to Taylor) me and a friend went Thanksgiving night around 7pm and we were still about 70 people back... so basically we walked away with nothing :yuck:

I knew they would do the ticket thing but they didn't even have some of the big items they advertised.. they didn't get the delivery.. blahblah.. :mad:

I have not been to this new location, but it would probably be more busy because now its in a busy mall location.

best of luck!

I went to BB in Troy,Mi last year got there noon Turkey Day...in my group we were 12-15th in line. It was a madhouse. All the line jumpers and poor distribution on their ticket system. Police wasnt any help. Maybe the first 10 people in line were BB employees, if it wasnt for their help I would have never recieve the items I wanted.....will I be crazy enough to do it again? Yes but probably not Troy's BB.

I went to the BB in Ann Arbor last year. I got there around 4:00 a.m. and I was about half-way down on the side wall (I asked the people in the front what time they got in line, and most of them were there by noon of Thanksgiving Day). For a "smaller" town, Ann Arbor has pretty huge lines. I have to say that they really know what they are doing at that store tho. They had two HUGE guys at the door at opening to prevent line-jumping/rushing the door and the line was very clear at checkout (there was even an employee who walked aorund with a bunch of balloons to mark the end of the line). Their line goes faster than any other I've seen on a BF, and they were ridiculously well-staffed, lots of sale reps walking around.

The Alpine store in Comstock Park has the earliest campers in the GR area. I think that they show up before noon on T-Day. The East Beltline store had about twelve people in line when I got there at around 3pm. Never been to the Grandville store, so I'm not sure how early people line up there.

-red

okay this wil be my first time camping out at BB and since it is so cold here in Michigan usually what do you all do for heat, and oh yea the potty:o? I was gonna take the motor home so I could have somewhere to make my coffe and go potty :blush:but need to know what you all do for heat when camping out. Should I just take a heater, a tent, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Alpine store in Comstock Park has the earliest campers in the GR area. I think that they show up before noon on T-Day. The East Beltline store had about twelve people in line when I got there at around 3pm. Never been to the Grandville store, so I'm not sure how early people line up there.

-red

Well, 2 years ago they got to the Alpine store about 3pm Turkey Day.. I got there about 3:15 and was 3rd in line and stayed the whole night... I believe I was hanging with Redlotus there that year...

Last year I drove by about the same time (since, as I mentioned, I live behind it) and there were about 50 people or so there.

I am expecting a ton more this year since it seems to majorly increasing... I am not really planning on going this year but it is all dependant on the add I guess... I built my own pc last March so I have one better than anything they could offer me at any price so the only thing that might bring me out is a great video card at a low price and they really never have anything upper level on BF so I am not holding my breath.

I will warm you all to stay away from any bulk deals on DVD-r media bulk packs... hid a couple the day before Turkey Day and went in late in the day BF last year to get em and, wow, they are just bad. No wonder they were so cheap. I normally use a TON of em but I bought 2 packs and have one full one left and one partially full. Anyone want some DVD-r's ?

They would work great for data storage but just suck terribly for use as dvd movie media...

I tried 3 other DVD-r's (different makers) and they all performed flawlessly so it is just this brand... ack !

The brand is "Dynex".. avoid em like the plague people !

okay this wil be my first time camping out at BB and since it is so cold here in Michigan usually what do you all do for heat, and oh yea the potty:o? I was gonna take the motor home so I could have somewhere to make my coffe and go potty :blush:but need to know what you all do for heat when camping out. Should I just take a heater, a tent, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can bring a tent if you want to BB...saw many people do that. Last year I saw a couple porta potties set up (unlike the year I waited...argh !!)

Luckily, I live close and my wife was with me so, later in the night, I went home to warm up, made some coffee, came back and gave her some coffee, and then she left, warmed up, and got some sleep. It is nice to tag team it like that AND it gives ya someone to visit with.

If you do bring a camper, be prepared for a few things :

A) A tall fat man (if I come) breaking in to get warm.

B) Possibly being told to move it by police or BB staff

C) Not being able to leave because of the size and the traffic in the morning.

Maybe I will just use an old play... pay a homeless guy $25 to wait in line for me all night... hahahahaha

Well, 2 years ago they got to the Alpine store about 3pm Turkey Day.. I got there about 3:15 and was 3rd in line and stayed the whole night... I believe I was hanging with Redlotus there that year...

Last year I drove by about the same time (since, as I mentioned, I live behind it) and there were about 50 people or so there.

I am expecting a ton more this year since it seems to majorly increasing... I am not really planning on going this year but it is all dependant on the add I guess... I built my own pc last March so I have one better than anything they could offer me at any price so the only thing that might bring me out is a great video card at a low price and they really never have anything upper level on BF so I am not holding my breath.

I will warm you all to stay away from any bulk deals on DVD-r media bulk packs... hid a couple the day before Turkey Day and went in late in the day BF last year to get em and, wow, they are just bad. No wonder they were so cheap. I normally use a TON of em but I bought 2 packs and have one full one left and one partially full. Anyone want some DVD-r's ?

They would work great for data storage but just suck terribly for use as dvd movie media...

I tried 3 other DVD-r's (different makers) and they all performed flawlessly so it is just this brand... ack !

The brand is "Dynex".. avoid em like the plague people !

ROFOL!! I bought about 4 packs of those $4.99 DVD-Rs and they were TERRIBLE!! We started using them for frisbees we had so many to throw away. I learned my lesson the year before so I stayed clear of them last year. No matter how tempting...DO NOT BUY THE DYNEX DVD-R or + R!! :no:

last year i was out weds at about 11 at night, and i was second in line. im hoping to get there about 6-7 weds night this year so i can be first in line =)

HHHhmmmmm, telling people where and when you plan toget on line? Glad I'm not in the area, I'd get there by 5pm Wednesday so I could be first on line, lol. I will openly tell what time I plan to get on line, but I will not tell the time and location. Remember, the competition is scouting you out, lol.

I went to BB in Troy,Mi last year got there noon Turkey Day...in my group we were 12-15th in line. It was a madhouse. All the line jumpers and poor distribution on their ticket system. Police wasnt any help. Maybe the first 10 people in line were BB employees, if it wasnt for their help I would have never recieve the items I wanted.....will I be crazy enough to do it again? Yes but probably not Troy's BB.

You might want to try what we do. We actually atrt a list where people sign in. The first 80 people or so sign their names and Best Buy in the past has respected the list since the only ones not on it in the first 80 or so were the line jumpers. The employees, after verifying the list was legit had the person who started the list call out the names and you enter to receive the tickets based on where you signed in, not how many people you pushed out of the way to get where you were standing. Also if you se cutters, tell the biggest people on line who cut them and let them handle it. In most cases the cutters will leave when confronted by a larger group of bigger guys, lol.