So unfair but it comes with the territory - Working Xmas Eve

orangedaisy

I am a nurse and I work night shift 7p-7a. I have to work on Christmas Eve this year to fulfill my holiday commitment. :cry2: It's my most favorite time to spend with my family, and most of our traditions are carried out on Christmas eve. I'll have to leave by 6:15 pm to go to work. I have been looking for someone to switch with but so far, no luck. :(

Anyone else have to work over the holiday?

Edited by Rockfordmom
made title more descriptive

I am a nurse and I work night shift 7p-7a. I have to work on Christmas Eve this year to fulfill my holiday commitment. :cry2: It's my most favorite time to spend with my family, and most of our traditions are carried out on Christmas eve. I'll have to leave by 6:15 pm to go to work. I have been looking for someone to switch with but so far, no luck. :(

Not in my current job, worked retail for many years, as we lost the idea of closing for holidays I was home less and less. ONe of the reasons I found a new job. My brother was with the sherriff's dept for more than 15 years. Being single he often worked over into part of the am shift so another parent could be home at least part of the day with their families so I do understand the feelings of missing out. He never got to our house when the food was still hot and he missed his nephews opening presents etc until he retired.

I feel for you. Maybe you could switch some traditions this year to Christmas night, or Christmas Eve, Eve.

Or have hubby bring the kids up to the hospital and help spread cheer to the patients.

My hubby works in the restaurant business. Every year we would keep the traditions going, but modify them for his schedule. I know...It sucks! This year he finally landed a GM position at a restaurant that's only open M-F for breakfast and lunch, no holidays! After 21 years in the business, this Christmas should actually be 'normal', whatever that is! LOL

I am a nurse also and have worked many holidays. At least you are home on Christmas, although tired you can enjoy part of it and nap later. I know how you feel I hated working holidays especially 12 hour day shifts-you miss the whole day. Maybe someone would be willing to split the shift with you. We have done that before, that way at least you and the other nurse can enjoy part of Christmas eve.

I am off Christmas/ work xmas eve. But my husband works all the holidays this year. He is a firefighter/paramedic, so he is gone for the full 24 hours of the holiday:( I know how you feel. We switch around the holidays and still do a xmas eve and xmas as we would if it were the real thing just a day early.

I don't have to work on the holiday, but as the parent of a child who has been in the hospital during holidays, may I say thank you? I can't tell you how awful I feel being there with so many people having to work when NONE of us wants to be there...but how wonderful to have so many people there taking care of my precious child and I...

oh ya, I forgot....years and years ago (before kids) I was the manager of a movie theatre...open 365 days a year and BUSY on Christmas Eve and Day...I had to work too...what really sucked was trying to schedule high school students to work...they didn't want to and their parents didn't want them to and I didn't want to have to....

ugh

Man that sux!

I work in a hospital as well. (CT Scan) I know the frustrations of working over the holidays. Each year I make it a point to be sure I'm off Christmas. I can schedule myself overnight Thanksgiving and on NYD and have people take my X-Mas if needed. This year's gonna be a hedache because we just had a person quit who was scheduled to work both X-Mas eve and Day and they haven't filled her spot in yet.

if i were you i would start now by getting lots of little puzzle sets or just puzzle books wrap each one or put a lot of things into a basket and take it around to your patients and let them pick a present out. i think that would be fun i love to give things to people:fluffy:

My mom is a nurse too(night shift) So we always had to switch stuff around growing up.

Who knows, maybe someone will swtch shifts and it will all work out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya ;)

there is still time, maybe you will find someone

as for family traditions my aunt us to work that shift and she would just move the days around so the Christmas eve was DEC. 25th and Christmas the 26th so she could enjoy it with her kids

Not in my current job, worked retail for many years, as we lost the idea of closing for holidays I was home less and less. ONe of the reasons I found a new job. My brother was with the sherriff's dept for more than 15 years. Being single he often worked over into part of the am shift so another parent could be home at least part of the day with their families so I do understand the feelings of missing out. He never got to our house when the food was still hot and he missed his nephews opening presents etc until he retired.

that was very nice of him

I don't have to work on the holiday, but as the parent of a child who has been in the hospital during holidays, may I say thank you? I can't tell you how awful I feel being there with so many people having to work when NONE of us wants to be there...but how wonderful to have so many people there taking care of my precious child and I...

I work retail, so I know how you feel! But thank you for working and caring for those individuals who are stuck in the hospital, not feeling well on Christmas!! Bless you!

Statements like this do make it worth it. :gdinlove:

I'm a night shift nurse too....Ugh! The holiday's are so hard. Thanksgiving, Christimas Eve, Christmas... I luckily work with a lot of people who don't have kids, or whose kids are grown, which allows me to take Christmas and Christmas Eve off. Maybe, like the other poster said, you can do 1/2 a shift. I know a lot of people at my work do that! I hope you find a way to work it out though, because I know after years of working holidays, I am beginning to get bitter!