>>> Official Black Friday 2008 LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Thanks!

Yea dude. Snag it if your alright with 2GB of memory and it being a Compaq. I think its a decent price for what your getting and like I said Im sure there will be a lot of others that think this as well, so get there 45 minutes early to guarantee yourself one. Good luck, let me know if you get it!

Ok so Ive got something for you that might be what your looking for at Staples starting tomorrow morning (Sunday 11/30.)

Staples item # 761020

HP

15.4 inch screen

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core Mobile Technology RM-70

3GB RAM

250GB HD (Just what you wanted)

Windows Vista Home Edition (Not 64 bit edition, thats good to know)

Intergrated Webcam

Lightscribing DVD/CD labeling system

Plus a free printer with mail in rebates.

$549.99

Ok so I love the fact that its an HP. They are my favorite brand laptops. The Turion 64 X2 processor is pretty gnarly. 3GB of ram is perfect. The 250GB HD is more than plenty space wise. Its good that it doesnt have the 64 bit edition of Vista. Then there is always the bonus perks of having a Webcam built within the computer and Lightscribing technology. Heres the think that I dont like, its $549.99 instead of $499.99. If it was $499.99, Id stay this is the one dont think twice. Since it is not however, then I have the following to say. If you were going to get a printer anyways, then this is a good deal cause it takes care of that end of things. However, if you were not looking to getting a print to go along with the laptop, its something you need to decide on for yourself and if that extra $50 is worth it. Basically heres the thing, if it had a $160 GB hard drive, it would be $499.99. If it had 2GB RAM it would be $499.99. If it had a older processor it would be $499.99. If it had a 14.1 inch screen it would be $499.99. However since that is not the case, its $549.99...its the 250GB HD that pushed it over the edge. That being said, in the end, if I am going to get you a computer that is $499.99 or under if you dont want this one, which would you be willing to sacrific. A 250GB HD for a 160GB one? A more modern processor for one that is up to date but still good? A 15 inch screen for a 14 inch one (although there hasnt been a lot of 14.1 inch screens being sold as of lately from what I noticed these past couple of weeks, the 15 inch ones are more standard), or 3GB for 2GB (although I dont imagine many computer packages having a 250GB HD to also then have a 2GB Ram set, so it might not be realistic to hope for a computer with 250GB of HD but has 2GB's of ram.)

Alright well let me know what you think of this deal, and if its not the one for you, where do you want to make some sacrafices if we have to in order to keep it at $499.99 or under. We still might get lucky regardless, but Im asking you just in case.

Hey thanks for the Staples lead. I did not get that ad today. I think I will wake my son and we will go check it out. We are going to need a printer also, so all in all not too bad of a deal!

I will let you know how we make out.

I just looked at all the adds available this weekend. Everything at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max, and Walmart is over priced for what they are giving you. After first I got a little excited over some a Best Buy one but then I quickly realized that for what they were giving you, the computer was over-priced by about $75. So as far as this week is concerned, there were only 3 good deals, two of which wouldnt work out for you since you dont have Office Depot near you. That basically leaves the staples one, and being that you told me that youll need a printer, its not a bad deal. I would look at it like this. Your getting the computer for $499.99 and paying $50.00 for the printer than you were going to buy anyways instead of you paying $549.99 for the computer and getting a printer for free. I know its the exact same thing, but I think the first way a looking at things is more optimisitic. Alright well Ill continue to look for any ads that might come out midweek even though I dont think theyll have another round of new ones until Saturday of next week, but well see. Alright well let me know how that staples one worked out for you in the mean time and if you decided to get it ;)

Sorry if my typing is bad sometimes, I think something is wrong with my brain where I can think faster than I type so I jump to words in my sentences or dont finish spelling them before moving onto the next. If ever you dont understand me just let me know. However Id like to hope its not this way all of the time :rolleyes:

Looks like Staples is the better computer. Almost the same as the CC one tho. It's worth paying the extra $50 for it due to the upgrades in the Staples one.

He is correct. Get the Staples one if you want the bigger 250GB HD and free printer with rebate. Or go to Circuit City and get the other one for $499.99 and get 160GB HD with no printer. Other than that they are basically the same. The dell isnt worth it, its over priced for what your getting.

This also brings me to my next point. For my friend that Im helping try to find his son a computer for college, the one I recommended the Staples computer to above, the Circuit City one is great if you dont mind sacrificing the 250GB HD and getting the 160GB one. Of course you wouldnt get the free printer either than. So yea, Id say for you, being that you said you needed a printer...and really wanted the 250GB....the staples one is still for you.

This also brings me to my next point. For my friend that Im helping try to find his son a computer for college, the one I recommended the Staples computer to above, the Circuit City one is great if you dont mind sacrificing the 250GB HD and getting the 160GB one. Of course you wouldnt get the free printer either than. So yea, Id say for you, being that you said you needed a printer...and really wanted the 250GB....the staples one is still for you.

Hey thanks for all of your help. I did get the one at Staples and my son is in the process of setting it all up now. I did purchase the 2007 office and ended up getting it for $59.00. I didn't think that was a bad deal at all. It had some rebates with it, plus and extra $20.00 off with the purchase of a computer. We got there ten minutes before they opened and they sold three of them right away and one lady bought the $499 computer they had. That 10 minutes of waiting time sure was much better than the 4-5 hours I wasted at Wal Mart on Black Friday for a computer they didn't even have.

I couldn't of found this without your help so thank you very much:)

I have what may be a stupid question. Regarding this HP Pavilion Laptop, it says it comes with a SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support. Now does this drive write DVDs as well as CDs? Can I make an audio mix CD as well as burn DVDs? Thanks

I have what may be a stupid question. Regarding this HP Pavilion Laptop, it says it comes with a SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support. Now does this drive write DVDs as well as CDs? Can I make an audio mix CD as well as burn DVDs? Thanks

dont knwo which hp you mean but 90% of laptops these days do burn cd's and dvd's so pretty sure whichever one you mean will burn both

looks like the staples one is the same as the CC one except with a bigger HD. unless you are going to be storing ALOT of songs and movies on there, really not a huge demand to spend the extra cash.. however the dell does give you the 250gb HD as in the staples one, but not sure how the processor compared to the AMD

Hey thanks for all of your help. I did get the one at Staples and my son is in the process of setting it all up now. I did purchase the 2007 office and ended up getting it for $59.00. I didn't think that was a bad deal at all. It had some rebates with it, plus and extra $20.00 off with the purchase of a computer. We got there ten minutes before they opened and they sold three of them right away and one lady bought the $499 computer they had. That 10 minutes of waiting time sure was much better than the 4-5 hours I wasted at Wal Mart on Black Friday for a computer they didn't even have.

I couldn't of found this without your help so thank you very much:)

Hey dessenma, thanks for sharing in the news. Im very happy that things worked out and that you got an extra $20 off. I have a feeling that this computer will fit your sons needs perfectly and am glad I was able to assist you will finding it for him. That being said, I wish him the best of luck in college and that the laptop comes in handy as he seeks reaching his degree. Take it easy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9027698&type=product&id=1218010578770&AID=10597222&PID=1418914&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9027698%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218010578770&ref=39&loc=01

Can someone tell me what they think of this computer? I just need something for browsing, email and my ipod music. If this isn't too hot, can you give me a suggestion please.

I'm guessing the hard drive isn't the best, but how bad is it?

Edited by Mommy2Four

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9027698&type=product&id=1218010578770&AID=10597222&PID=1418914&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9027698%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218010578770&ref=39&loc=01

Can someone tell me what they think of this computer? I just need something for browsing, email and my ipod music. If this isn't too hot, can you give me a suggestion please.

Actually, that's one of the better non-BF laptops I've seen for the $400 price. Compaqs are among the best (I didn't say THE best :tongue1: ). Nothing crossing the fancy line, just the necessary bells and whistles. 2 GB memory, 160 GB hard drive, graphics aren't bad (not great but not bad for being integrated), ready for wireless internet ... looks like you're good to go. ;) The only serious problem I see is that it's not available online and it'll be tough to find it still in the stores. You gotta jump at the chance the moment you get it otherwise you lose out. :(

Why would it be bad? 160 GB is more than enough for music, movies, and misc. If not, just invest in a cheap external drive.

If you can get it, it's not bad. I have a Compaq($300, last BF at CC;)) and I have nothing bad to say. I can't play games, but I have a main computer for that. The graphics in this one are above most on low-end laptops. I'm sure it would be more than enough.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the best Black Friday add laptop is back on sale at the same price at Best Buy. Its the DV4-1114NR. The one that I got. Go to the site and type in the model number I just gave you. It originally went for $749.99 and now its back at $500. The only thing is its on back order. So the warehouse might not get it for a week or two and then it will take another week or week and a half to get to you or the store. Although if your willing to wait the 3-4 weeks, Id say definitely snatch this.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the best Black Friday add laptop is back on sale at the same price at Best Buy. Its the DV4-1114NR. The one that I got. Go to the site and type in the model number I just gave you. It originally went for $749.99 and now its back at $500. The only thing is its on back order. So the warehouse might not get it for a week or two and then it will take another week or week and a half to get to you or the store. Although if your willing to wait the 3-4 weeks, Id say definitely snatch this.

Unfortunately between now and the hour and half I was just in class the computer got sold out again. While that is bad news for now, the good news is that since it got posted again for the same price today, they might end up getting more available in the near future. That being said keep your eyes peeled cause in my opinion this was the best laptop by far both during black friday and all weekly ads previous to black friday. Good luck getting one ;)