>>> Official Black Friday 2008 LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Well as I stated it may be capable of running the application but when I used CS3 if the laptop was even moderately equipped Photoshop would be slow, I couldn't imagine trying it on some of these entry level pcs.

Case by case, of course, but the walmart laptop was very capable. It only lacked in video capability, so I think it would be fine except for games.

Help! I need to buy 2 laptops this year for DS's. They play these MMORP games and email, etc. I'd like to spend 500 or less...any ideas? And what about Vista verses XP? I'm so confused :eyepoppin

Thanks

To Clarify: you want to spend $500 on 2 laptops or $1000 on 2 laptops @ $500 per?

For the former, $250 is only going to get you a netbook this year. A netbook is a small, stripped down laptop that is meant for email and the internet. I don't suggest this route, they will probably be disappointed in a netbook if they are gamers.

For the latter, $500 will get you decent laptops. In that price range you can expect:

3gb of ram (don't settle for less than 2gb of RAM)

A dual-core processor (twice as strong as previous processors, well worth it)

If hard drive space is important to you then you can get 160gb easily.

You may see people who talk about "gaming computers" and how they need to have good graphics cards. MMORPGs do not require this for the most part (I'm sure there are some out there that challenge this general statement, but World of Warcraft, for instance, does not.)

XP & Vista:

If you get your laptop from an electronics store it's going to have Vista on it, I'd suggest just go with it. There may be special, online alternatives but they are going to charge you extra for the "service".

I am looking for a new laptop and would like a little advice. I am looking for a good deal on one but want to spend a little more for a nicer one. I was looking at the Sony for 899 at best buy but I feel like i could get that deal any time of the year, anyone agree? I want 4GB of memory, at least 250 or > hardrive space, wouldn't mind blu-ray but not necessary, and a decent processor and want to spend under $1,000. Any ideas?

I am looking for a new laptop and would like a little advice. I am looking for a good deal on one but want to spend a little more for a nicer one. I was looking at the Sony for 899 at best buy but I feel like i could get that deal any time of the year, anyone agree? I want 4GB of memory, at least 250 or > hardrive space, wouldn't mind blu-ray but not necessary, and a decent processor and want to spend under $1,000. Any ideas?

Toshiba 15.4" Dual-Core Laptop w/ 4GB, 250GB, Turion 64 X2 for $480 @ BB on BF.. includes sleeve and mouse.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-2250-Toshiba154DualCoreLaptopw4GB250GBTurion64X2.html

An Advisory To All Those Who Come Seeking Help On The "Best" Laptop Deal This Year:

Describe how the computer will be used, and if it is for children or adults. Describe your price range and what specs you already know are most important to you.

/advice

I think it's pretty obvious what the best low-end ($300-499) laptop is this season, just go to the Black Friday Ads page, look at the laptops, and sort by price.

As for higher end laptops ($500-$1000), I haven't the foggiest what you can expect in that range but I'm sure there is someone here who has crunched the #s and will be willing to talk about it at some point.

The Dell that you have linked there is in the class above the computers I'm looking at, you can get a Toshiba with better specs for about $200 less but some may tell you that the quality of a Dell is worth the price and smaller harddrive.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if either of the Toshiba Satellites that BB is selling have the built in webcam and mic. This could be a deciding factor between the 2 of them for me.

It appears that the laptop in the photo has the webcam (and presumably the mic), but I'm not sure if this is one of those "product may not be exactly as depicted" things.

Take a look:

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-2250-Toshiba154DualCoreLaptopw4GB250GBTurion64X2.html

Also, what is the best way to use the model# information to exactly identify the laptop?

I can barely make it out printed in the add but a Google search just turns up random forum posts where people have entered that information.

I'm expecting to see a doorbuster netbook for under $200 (possibly as low as $100). Simply so that they can advertise a "$100 laptop". I have an EeePC 701 4G running WinXP. It is a great little system. I'll be all over another netbook at those possible prices.

I'm expecting to see a doorbuster netbook for under $200 (possibly as low as $100). Simply so that they can advertise a "$100 laptop". I have an EeePC 701 4G running WinXP. It is a great little system. I'll be all over another netbook at those possible prices.

I thought so too, but we haven't seen anything approaching that at Circuit City or Best Buy. You think it's going to be one of those last minute "secret deal" things? I've read about those but I wasn't looking for anything last year that popped up as that.

I thought so too, but we haven't seen anything approaching that at Circuit City or Best Buy. You think it's going to be one of those last minute "secret deal" things? I've read about those but I wasn't looking for anything last year that popped up as that.

If there will be one it will probably be in the print ad released the Sunday before, or a last minute ad (print or email).

What I don't understand is how does releasing a last-minute door-buster help draw people to their store? By the time the news hits, there are already 30-40 people camped out in line at the stores. :confused:

Toshiba 15.4" Dual-Core Laptop w/ 4GB, 250GB, Turion 64 X2 for $480 @ BB on BF.. includes sleeve and mouse.

yeah, i was looking at this one but i am not a huge AMD fan. I have had problems in the past, not a big deal though. I worry about these laptops that are "dumbed down" or down graded on Black Friday. Any higher end laptops that people are looking at? I am a college student using it for music, photoshop cs3,and everyday usage.

yeah, i was looking at this one but i am not a huge AMD fan. I have had problems in the past, not a big deal though. I worry about these laptops that are "dumbed down" or down graded on Black Friday. Any higher end laptops that people are looking at? I am a college student using it for music, photoshop cs3,and everyday usage.

If that's all your using it for I would imagine that the processor would be fine, unless your doing heavy duty, 100s-of-layers photoshopping. What type of problems have you experienced our of curiosity? Maybe you'll sway me :smart:

@sracer: I imagine they do it more for next year's crowd than the people already in line. They do it so we discuss it here on these boards and decide to get in line at ungodly hours on the chance that there will be a special deal.

If that's all your using it for I would imagine that the processor would be fine, unless your doing heavy duty, 100s-of-layers photoshopping. What type of problems have you experienced our of curiosity? Maybe you'll sway me :smart:

Well, first, they seem to lack performance when it comes to Intel and second, I have had 5 laptops over the last 3 years (thanks to Black Friday and my tactics, ha) and the one with AMD crashed. Could be just a coincidence and probably is, but thats the way it is. Yes, it would be fine with what I am doing for the most part but I woud rather have a quality laptop than one that has old hardware (and I know they don't put the newest stuff in these BF laptops). I would be perfectly fine with the Toshiba as long as I know what is actually in it. but thats just my opinion and thanks for the help!

Well, first, they seem to lack performance when it comes to Intel and second, I have had 5 laptops over the last 3 years (thanks to Black Friday and my tactics, ha) and the one with AMD crashed. Could be just a coincidence and probably is, but thats the way it is. Yes, it would be fine with what I am doing for the most part but I woud rather have a quality laptop than one that has old hardware (and I know they don't put the newest stuff in these BF laptops). I would be perfectly fine with the Toshiba as long as I know what is actually in it. but thats just my opinion and thanks for the help!

The AMD turions x2 are very good proc. They are plenty powerful for most people, they usaully stronger the Pentuim dual cores but slightly less the the same clock Core2 Proc. I had a AMD Turion TL-58 x2 (a dual core 1.9 ghz) it handled all my high def video veiwing and editing with ease.:)

An Advisory To All Those Who Come Seeking Help On The "Best" Laptop Deal This Year:

Describe how the computer will be used, and if it is for children or adults. Describe your price range and what specs you already know are most important to you.

/advice

I think it's pretty obvious what the best low-end ($300-499) laptop is this season, just go to the Black Friday Ads page, look at the laptops, and sort by price.

As for higher end laptops ($500-$1000), I haven't the foggiest what you can expect in that range but I'm sure there is someone here who has crunched the #s and will be willing to talk about it at some point.

The Dell that you have linked there is in the class above the computers I'm looking at, you can get a Toshiba with better specs for about $200 less but some may tell you that the quality of a Dell is worth the price and smaller harddrive.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if either of the Toshiba Satellites that BB is selling have the built in webcam and mic. This could be a deciding factor between the 2 of them for me.

It appears that the laptop in the photo has the webcam (and presumably the mic), but I'm not sure if this is one of those "product may not be exactly as depicted" things.

Take a look:

Also, what is the best way to use the model# information to exactly identify the laptop?

I can barely make it out printed in the add but a Google search just turns up random forum posts where people have entered that information.

Thanks for your help....I just want my computer to be fast I just use it for the internet ... the laptop I have now it about 9 years old and is slow...I clean the cookies and all and still its slow....I dont know what to do...so I guess its time for a new one....I just dont buy a laptop very offten so I want the best my $ can buy I want to spend around 600-900 max...less would be more!! Any heklp you can give would be great LoL

I'm looking for deals on Apple desktops or laptops - going to convert to Apple - I want a system powerful enough to handle my scrapbooking needs - lots of pictures and I want to try video too. I have high speed but it's sooo slow that I think it's my computer rather than ISP. What's the best system to get for handling lots of stuff - can a notebook/laptop handle it - what specs? Thanks! (First ever post so I hope I'm in the right forum or whatever.)

I hope I can ask this here... I didnt want to start a new thread unless you all think I should.

But i'm needing a new wireless router, my current one is giving me problems.

I'm looking over the BF ads and see all these in my search..

Best Buy Linksys WRT110 RangePlus Wireless G MIMO Router $39.99

Best Buy Netgear Wireless N Router $49.99

Circuit City D-Link Wireless-N Router w/ Free Adapter $39.99

Circuit City Linksys WRT110 RangePlus Wireless Router $39.99

Circuit City Netgear Wireless-N Broadband Router $49.99

Dell Home Linksys WRT110 RangePlus Wireless Router $39.99

Office Depot D-Link RangeBooster 4-Port Wireless G Router $19.99 *

OfficeMax Linksys Wireless RangePlus MIMO Router $39.99

Radio Shack Netgear Super-G 802.11g Wireless Router $29.99

Staples Netgear Wireless-N Broadband Router $49.98

From the ones that are from CC, Radio shack, Staples, and office max, which is

the better deal? Or the better router for the money?

TIA!

/advice

Take a look:

The BB $379 Toshiba does have a webcam. Go to google and seach the model number. You will need to look at the cache pages because BB had this exact model on their site but they pulled it probably because of BF. It says it has a webcam These are the specs from that page. It looks pretty good so I'm after it

Model: L305D-S5892 | SKU: 9038178

AMD Turion™ X2 mobile technology TL-60*

3GB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen TFT-LCD display

160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

ATI RADEON X1250 graphics

CD control buttons

Built-in webcam with microphone

5-in-1 bridge media adapter

3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

Built-in Atheros wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector

Weighs only 5.7 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin

Good battery life Of 2 hours, 45 minutes.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled

The BB $379 Toshiba does have a webcam. Go to google and seach the model number. You will need to look at the cache pages because BB had this exact model on their site but they pulled it probably because of BF. It says it has a webcam These are the specs from that page. It looks pretty good so I'm after it

Model: L305D-S5892 | SKU: 9038178

AMD Turion™ X2 mobile technology TL-60*

3GB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen TFT-LCD display

160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

ATI RADEON X1250 graphics

CD control buttons

Built-in webcam with microphone

5-in-1 bridge media adapter

3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

Built-in Atheros wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector

Weighs only 5.7 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin

Good battery life Of 2 hours, 45 minutes.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled

It was still on their site about 1/2 hour ago.

The question that I have about that model has to do with the keyboard. I have a Toshiba Satellite a305.... great notebook all the way around except... the keyboard. It has flat-faced glossy keys. And the keys are pretty loud, making a distinct clicking sound as the key travels. Luckily I rarely use the built-in keyboard, but use an external usb keyboard, so it is not so bad for me... but I want to get the L305 for my wife who WILL be using the built-in keyboard.

Does the L305 have the same keyboard?

I would love to get the toshiba laptop from Bestbuy but the closest one is about an hour away. I sae toshibas in Circuit city also for a little more and they look the same are they?? If you weren't getting the toshiba from BB and want to spen 500 or less what would you get. We have a circuit city and walmart nearbuy. I just need it for internet and email pics. normal household stuff nothing crazy but want something fairly good. Thanks

Sara

I am currently running XP on all of my computers. I am looking at a laptop for myself from Dell that runs Vista but offers a downgrade to XP.

I guess I could probably answer my own question but am looking for other people who have switched systems:

1) Will Office XP Pro work with Vista?

2) Will I run into alot of sftware and hardware issues if I choose Vista?

I am on the fence right now..... Thanks for anyones help!

The question that I have about that model has to do with the keyboard. I have a Toshiba Satellite a305.... great notebook all the way around except... the keyboard. It has flat-faced glossy keys. And the keys are pretty loud, making a distinct clicking sound as the key travels. Luckily I rarely use the built-in keyboard, but use an external usb keyboard, so it is not so bad for me... but I want to get the L305 for my wife who WILL be using the built-in keyboard.

Not sure where you looked but there is a similar one on the site now but not this exact model number. You can find the exact model number and specs in the cache. I have no clue about noise on the keyboard

I have a Toshiba A205 and the keyboard is VERY loud. My older Toshiba was the same way. It makes it hard to do anything on the laptop while my husband is sleeping next to me, it actually wakes him up....and not much can do that, that's how loud the keyboard is. But I still love my Toshiba.

Ok I was looking at the laptops Dell has on sale and I mainly want to use it to run Photoshop and surf the web. Are you saying the 3 laptops they have for under $700 aren't really good for that or worth it??

Honestly I'm not ready to line up outside of Best Buy or Circuit City or any of the stores at 10pm or so the night before and I know usually a lot of those doorbuster deals aren't available online b/c they want to drive in-store traffic.

Thank you in advance for your help.