How much money to bring...

WhiteOwl

Im not going out this year but last year we spent about 3000 at best buy:shock: But we bought 2 lap tops and a computer and a PS3 for my SIL and a bunch of video games digital cameras , ok lets just say I had 2 carts full of crap:gdparanoid: .. I used my best buy card to get the reward points and had 6 months same as cash had it paid off before the new year :D

I limit how much cash I bring too. However by BF I have already researched all of the ads, have my lists made and know how much I plan on spending that day. Of course I generally add a little more for unexpected wants/needs.

If you don't want to carry a debit/credit card, you go go buy giftcards for the stores you plan on shopping and use those for payment.

It will depend this year last year I spent about 300.00 I use my debit card for everything since Sun Trust gives you points for the money you spend. But this year around 1:30 on BF I will be driving to Orlando and spending the 4-5 days down in Disney with my family and family that is coming so I may watch the deals as they come in especially hubby gets paid 3 times in OCT THANK GOD

I used to try to have a budget of $500, but by 6 a.m. that budget is thrown out the window :D I usually have to bring out my debit card.

I would suggest to not bring cash since your going to be bumping into a lot of people, but if you must put it where the sun doesn't sunshine ;) such as your bra, bottom of your feet in your shoe, etc.

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY!!!

lol - glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I budget about $400 and well sometimes it's under, sometimes over. If I see a good deal I'm buying it!

I only carry about $20 on me and sometimes not even that. Everyone practically takes plastic these days. I use my Discover Card and earn the cash back rewards. I tease my husband that earning cash back is my paycheck - shopping is my job and I'm "helping" when I shop. He fails to see things the way I do. :)

I wouldn't bring anything over 50 bucks. Living in the city only a fool would carry around a large amount of money, you are just asking for trouble. Get a cheap free checking account from TCF or Walmu, dump the money in there and use a debit card. With the crowds around, the minute you pull out your wad of cash, eye's light up all up and down the line and there is always some a**hole crackhead who stops at nothing to take from you what he thinks he deserves. Don't make a fun trip turn into a night mare...protect yourself. If you know you are going to be hitting Khols, Best Buy, Circuit City - now is the time to apply for those credit cards then payoff the balances when the bills come in. Some cards like Best Buy give you like six months of interest free - so you can pay a little bit, keep the rest in an interest earning account then on the fifth month pay off the balance and you have made a couple of dollars in interest.

As they say...you work hard for your money....so shouldn't your money work hard for you?

Here's hoping everybody has a safe, fun and enjoyable coming holiday...

Princess7915.. I try to tell my husband the same thing about my Discover but he doesn't see it that way either... Not sure why? Mine's even a Walmart Discover so I do a lot of Grocery shopping at Walmart to get checks back from there but he doesn't get it. Oh well.. Either way, I can say I'll spend 500 and spend 1500. I can say I'll spend 2000 and spend 4000. One thing I don't do is go underbudget. We used to get calls from the bank all the time about the amount we spent in one day. They've even stopped calling. I don't think that's a good sign for me. :o

Uggh, I hate this part. Cause sometimes I fall short of my intended amount, such as last year. But this time I got it figured out, gonna do all my car stuff like brakes/oil etc and important things this month, then I will have plenty of extra cash in November. I am gonna try for at least $450-$500. Should be more than enough for my items. Although we have not seen those ads yet, so who knows.

Well I just found out that WAMU gives you a $500 daily limit on your debit card and a $300 daily limit on cash. So that is going to put a damper on things. I am thinking of taking the $300 and putting it on a Visa or Mastercard gift card. I will have $1200 saved up for Christmas, but I have a lot less people to shop for this year so I shouldn't need to spend that much. And I have a Target card with $200 on it that I'll use, so I should be fine.

Plus some stores have cards only lanes.

See, I've seen just the opposite. I've seen cash only lanes. I do carry a decent amount of cash, but just b/c I've seen several stores have their Credit Card machines down on BF. But trust me I've got in on lockdown! :tongue1:

As for how much you want to spend, your best bet is to jut wait until the ads come out, then you'll know what you want and how much you're spending. Of course I always plan on some extra b/c stores have items on good sale that weren't in the ads.

with the stores being so busy that day, do the credit card/debit machines ever go down???

i'm travelling to the US for bf and every other yr we used to day trip it because we were very close to the border, we moved this yr, so now we have to travel down and stay in a hotel so we don't want to bring such large amounts of cash....i just don't want to be caught off gaurd and have no $$ or access to none while shopping!!

I wouldn't carry cash at all. It is WAY too close quarters, and it's a feeding frenzy for the "bump and grabbers" out there. Best to take a credit card or debit card, or at the very least a pre-paid VISA/MC/AMEX, whatever... I would also write down the number and the 1-800 in case it gets lost/stolen. You can report it and get your money back with most cards.

Better safe than sorry! As for the money...$500 is good if you are being conscious of your spending. I tend to get carried away myself... :)

A budget will be hard for us. Me and my fiancee have a limit of 100 dollars because of getting married this year. Unless we find DS's. Then the budget goes out the window. We plan on bringing cash, and giving each other the other persons credit cards so that we have to justify the purchase to someone before getting access.

with the stores being so busy that day, do the credit card/debit machines ever go down???

i'm travelling to the US for bf and every other yr we used to day trip it because we were very close to the border, we moved this yr, so now we have to travel down and stay in a hotel so we don't want to bring such large amounts of cash....i just don't want to be caught off gaurd and have no $$ or access to none while shopping!!

That was last BF - Grandville MI, Bath & Body works. Cash only. The credit lines were down. You can only Imagine it. Tiny mall outlet store, 100 angry women who have been up all night in 35 degree weather, and then going to cash only. My fiancee was the only man in the store. It was then that I knew I pretty much HAD to marry him. After that I owed him big time :P

I take a prepaid visa. I choose not to take a bank card incase its lost or stolen. I always carry some pocket cash ( about 50.00) cause last year at abc their system went down and couldnt take credit cards for a couple hrs. I usually spend about 300 to 500.