The teens

princez916

Our oldest is graduating and our youngest would be starting K next year too (we homeschool the younger ones)

The oldest is going to live at home for a few years still, but when we were uncertain we came up with several things that would make good gifts--small microwave, portable fridge, new sheets, comforter, portable laundry hamper that can hold laundry soap as well, hth

Amy

Are you going to help her financially? If not, as a current college student, I can tell you that the best gift she can receive IS gift cards to places like grocery stores, book stores, office supply stores, and stores like Target or Walmart. That way, she can pick out exactly what she wants and she doesn't have to drag all of those gifts with her.

And btw, congrats to your daughter!

Has she read "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil" it's a must if she's moving to Savannah :)

As for college gear I'd hold off on the big stuff, a lot of university housing includes fridges and microwaves. A good laptop is a must have - as well as a good planner! Gift cards are a great idea, she'll probably need some new clothes if she's moving from Wisconsin to GA.

Mine will also start college next year-- but his applications aren't even in yet! Your dd is very lucky to get her first choice so early. Not knowing where, and with possibility he will have to fly, I am not buying anything yet. Also, add to that some places going out of business (linens and things, etc) and I am fearful of GC. Also, not knowing your DD, but if mine has 50c left on a GC he'd throw it away...

Cash may seem cruel, but in this economy, it is king.

IBMOM262---Don't feel bad, I've gotten you beat. My DS18 is in his first year of college and my DS4 is in preschool. I also have a DD15. Having our youngest son was probably the best decision we ever made. I know how you feel. When my son went off to college we bought so much stuff that he didn't need it all. His room is very small. Sometimes the college will have a list of what they recommend to bring. Gift cards for places like Target or Bed Bath and Beyond would be very helpful. If she's not starting college til next fall, I would wait because they always have great deals on back to school college supplies. The best thing we bought my son would be his computer with the webcam. This way he can keep in touch with his baby brother that misses him terribly. HTH

I'm in this same bind w/ my son. This year is probably the hardest yet to buy for him. He is 15, will be 16 less than a month after Christmas. I cannot afford a car, which I'm sure he'd love........

He to has Xbox 360 and he barely touches it, so going overboard on games is not going to work. He also has as laptop (only a few months old) a new cell phone, a new Ipod, TV, stereo, dvd, and everything else I can think of. He likes to hunt and he got a very nice new bow last year.

So far I know I'll get him- new camo gear (he hunts), new underarmour for when he hunts, new sneakers, and an Itunes gift card. I also think I'll get him a radio for in the shower as he's always unpluggin his alarm clock and taking it in there.

I'm really stumped on him this year. I love the fact we've been able to get him so many things over time. However, in reality I'm starting to realize he has it all, and I don't know makes me wonder if we've been right to give him so much.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a very spoiled 16 year old ( spoiled due to luekimia when he was younger ), now I need x mas ideas. He has things like a game system, a mp3, wants a laptop but cant afford it. I have no idea what to get a 16 year old boy. Any ideas?

I too am stuck on what to get my son. He will be 16 within a month of Christmas. He has EVERYTHING......and I'm sooooo stuck.

He has a TV, stereo, DVD player, Ipod (less than 1yr old), XBox 360, laptop (also only a few months old). He also barely touches his Xbox, so I've already got 4 game on my list, and do not want to buy anymore.

He wanted a snowboard- I talked him out of that. I'm convinced he'll only get to use it once or twice. Which is a total waste of money for me.

He wants another freestyle BMX bike. I also think another waste of money. He spent his summer work money on 1 this summer ($450 he spent), and he broke it within 2 day's of having it. Then spent another $100 to fix it and broke it again. Most likely he'll have his license by summer, and I don't think he'll have much use for a bike then.

Anyhow, my idea's are:

Ipod gift card

Work Boots (his request)

Hunting coat and pants (already have the coat, hoping to get the pants @ Dicks on BF)

4 new video games

Digital Camera or cheaper digital camcorder

Skateboard w/ accessories

Cologne

That is all I have..... I usually get him quite a bit more.......so I'm really stuck.

I need to try to get the most bang for my buck. My mother will buy him a nice amount of new clothing, so he really will not need them.

He's at such a hard age to buy for. I really don't want to give him only money or gift cards....so who knows. I think he'd love the small dorm style fridge for his room, but my husband would absolutely flip.....and it's not an option.

I have a very spoiled 16 year old ( spoiled due to luekimia when he was younger ), now I need x mas ideas. He has things like a game system, a mp3, wants a laptop but cant afford it. I have no idea what to get a 16 year old boy. Any ideas?

oh i so hear u on this one. only my son is 9. the center spoiled him so bad.. but i almost have him broke . lol. if he wants a lap top . can i suggest i know its small but try for the one on amazon. its 129.00 i know he is older but at least he can still get on line. other wise. i would say stick to games. cloths. movies. not much to get after that really .. my oldest is 17 and he is done. tho he is into music alot so he is getting the guitar he has been asking for 4 yrs. i would not buy it as they all have so many they are into bands here incl hubby ds17,ds9 ds5.. me i leave the house and go shopping lol gl and if i think of anything else . ill let ya know .

As the mother of 3 teens I started out with my oldest this way and it has continued for the most part. It will probably deviate a little with my son since he doesn't care about the same things girls do.

General things bought over the years, or things I anticipate getting in the next couple of years - clothes, gift cards for clothes- take them shopping the 26th of December, small CD players with earphones, decorations for rooms, Ball caps, personalized items- teams they like etc, small coolers for track and wrestling meets- usually the golf ones from Menards- they last about the length of time needed, gym bags, backpacks, slippers, PJ's, hoodies, jackets, CD-R so they can record CD's of their liking,

Junior High (6th, 7th, 8th)- stereo, MP3 player, digital camera, small TV, karaoke machine, game stuff, portable game player- depended on the kid and their interests, rechargable cell phones- (minutes used- teaches them to control their useage vs. blowing it all.)

High School-

Freshman year- luggage (yes I start hinting early of what my eventual goals were- also there are a lot of things they go to in high school where this is useful.)

Sophomore year- class ring- (I give them $150 towards the purchase- they can either go and put in extra money of their own and purchase a more expensive one or go to Walmart get a cheaper one and use the remainder towards whatever.My oldest chose the later last year- not sure what my next one will opt for this year yet.)

Junior year- hope chest and things to go into it for their first apartment (a towel set, small kitchen things, crockpot, iron, toaster.)

Senior year- Computer for college. Other items that would suite this year microwave, small fridge,

Stocking stuffers- fancy socks, pens- special ones, gift cards to download songs, bath stuff (shower), extra nice disposible razors, make-up, perfume, batteries, rechargable batteries and charger, McDonalds gift cards (or whatever restaurant they like to frequent with their cronies,) small pieces of jewelry, decks of cards, dice, Yatzee score cards, magnets for lockers, deoderants, colored pens of various colors, pencils, school supplies, colored pencils, markers, calculators, The girls are usually easier to buy this stuff with than my son- but he's just becoming a teenager. I look for this to get easier in the next couple of years as then I can add things like cologne, aftershave, electric razor.

We have always had it for the most part that santa brought the stockings and we buy the other stuff. It was the family tradition in my house and thats what we went with for the most part except for a few years when money was good and santa was richer.

My thoughts are that this way they will have some of the basics for college and it won't be as big of a shock to our pocket book when they go off to college. We have a small family so it would be a joke to think that they will get the stuff or the money for the stuff they need as graduation gifts. The other trick I've learned is that I buy those small fleece throws that are on sale for ultra cheap- send them on the busses to school functions. You don't care as much if they get lost as some of the other blankets.

Hope this gives someone some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this gift idea this morning after browsing gifts.com trying to find one last unique thing for my 15 yr old daughter. She lives and breathes for her ipod and also has a bass guitar that she is learning.

For those that are familiar with the Apple and iPod logos/signage, this site:

www.ipopmyphoto.com will take any photo and turn it into one of those iPod type signs with the ipod image and whatever caption you want!

I took a photo of my dd playing her bass and sent it in with a caption, so she'll have a nice, unique and personalized poster for her wall! Check out some of the sample photos...really cool.

Hope this helps someone. :)