Digital Converter Boxes discounted on Black Friday?

thuender

It would make sense that if you had the $40 GC and they would discount these to $40, you could get them for free on Black Friday. Wal-Mart and the rest would make this an easy sale.:cheesy: Edited by bigjimslade
Making title more coherent and a question not a statement

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am also hoping that someone will discount DTV converter boxes on Black Friday. The $40 coupons are valid for 90 days, so I deliberately ordered two in mid September so they would be valid through Black Friday and mid December. The ones they actually sent are valid Oct 1 through December 31.

I have seen various ads for these, almost always $60 - $40 coupon = $20, so I am hoping they will be discounted closer to $40 on BF.

With the impending changeover, I expect that these might be good "loss leaders" for retailers, especially since they still get $40 and could use a rebate for the other $20, figuring that many people won't follow through on the rebate (but I always do). Of course, the retailers will be even more interested in selling people DTVs with built-in ATSC (digital) tuners. :cool:

(I have a cable box on my main living room HDTV, and another small HDTV that I bought a box previously to receive over-air signals, but we have two other TVs (kitchen and daughter's bedroom) that are receiving over air broadcasts.) Of course, this just means that I have too many TVs. :tongue1:

If you need a converter or two and have not ordered, order NOW and they will be good through the holidays and almost up to the conversion date. ;)

Well I just ordered my coupons. It said they will ship on 11/07/08 via standard mail. So you may want to get your request in if you need to just in case they do go on sale for BF. I don't have cable or satelitte so it would be really nice to get these boxes for free...

I, too, saw the converter on the flyer at my Rite Aid, and they have the Access HD boxes in stock. I did not get the model number. But a word of caution: some of the comments I have found online suggest that the Access HD models do not provide as sharp a picture or pick up as many stations as others. Guess you get what you pay for, but do a little research before buying if it is important to you. I may save my coupons for a better unit even if it costs me.

Could you share the link to where you are reading the reviews? I think that would be really helpful...Thanks alot.;)

It was really individual user comments, not a formal review, but look at this discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14907901

where are you getting the coupons?

You need to order them from this government sponsored web site: https://www.dtv2009.gov/ Note that it may take a few weeks and that you will have about 90 days from their issue or effective date to use them.

also i have digital cable but only on the main tv. the other tvs in the house just have cable pluged in to the tvs . do i need boxes for all the other tvs? any help would be great thanks

You should not need a converter for any TV connected to cable (as long as it is not just a cable connected to a roof antenna). On the other hand, free broadcast HD is so nice you might want to get some coupons, get a box, and try it out on at least one TV (it can improve reception even on a standard TV, even though it won't display high definition).

• 1 month later...
Comp USA has the Access HD converter box for $40.01, but does anyone else know of a coverter box being on sale now or in the future?I would like to get that $40.01 price or something close to it, but now the Access HD brand scares me.I have 2 cards, so i could risk one on the Access HD brand and see how it works if nothing else is now available.