Target really knows how to make you feel like a second class citizen.

Joining my list of stores I will boycott is Target.

At 8:41 PM I purchased Madden 2009 for the XBox 360. At approximately 8:50 PM I arrived at home, opened the game and realized there was no game inside the case. At 9:00 PM I arrived back at Target to exchange it for game, with the disc included. The sales associate, or whatever jazzed up title Target gives its employees, told me they just had the same issue earlier today. He gave me a new game, and checked to make sure the disc was in there. It was. When I went to customer service though, they gave me the run around, practically accusing me of stealing the first game. The customer service lady insisted that I take the game back to Nintendo (yes, she said Nintendo, multiple times). I explained to her that I was just told that they would take the game back, and had already done so for another customer and I didn't understand why they couldn't do the same. She said, "Because it seems like this may be a frequent issue with something fishy going on."

Of course, I told her I had no reason to steal, I paid for the thing with a credit card so they knew everything about me already, and if they weren't going to take the game back, I would deal with the issue through my credit card company. She called corporate, and they agreed to exchange the game.

I'm glad they exchanged it, but it was ridiculous to freaking accuse me of stealing the game. The lady had no clue as to what the game was even about, as shown by her calling it a Nintendo game over and over again, but she apparently was well aware of this "frequent issue" of game theft.

I can't even imagine what kind of hassle I would have gotten if I were wearing a wife beater and a bandanna.

And yes, I initially wrote it like a police report since it felt like they were interrogating me.

Sorry you had a hard time but I think it was an employee problem not a company problem. Seems like everyone once in awhile one wants to act like they know everything and they own the place, it is usually NOT when you the customer needs help either.

I had the same thing happen once with a movie. I almost didn't even take it back because I figured they would think I was crazy (Walmart, not Target) but the CS lady said it actually happens quite a bit.

I'd think if it was an issue with theft they'd just keep track of who took them back and how many times it happened to that one person....

I'd put in a complaint with cooperate myself just so it is on record. Good luck!

When I worked at Kmart I learned how quickly the management would abandon all corporate rules to make a customer happy... they NEVER backed us up when we followed the rules. Even if CS is a jerk, a manager would have set it right in a minute.

make sure to write to the manager - and let them know it was the attitude that will keep you away.

I'd think if it was an issue with theft they'd just keep track of who took them back and how many times it happened to that one person....

Yeah, the strangest part was that they didn't even have me fill anything out. I suppose they were smart enough to realize that I did pay with a CC, so if they needed to get a hold of me, they could.

make sure to write to the manager - and let them know it was the attitude that will keep you away.

I think she was a manager, actually. When I got up there, the person manning the desk told me they had already called the manager over to deal with it. I think they had me profiled. I suppose it must be my sandals. They're looking a little ragged now-a-days.

what is sad about this is the people that are actually stealing usually get away with it and the rest of us pay for it, one year i was in line at customer service in walmart to return something and a customer in front of my returned a game system (at least the empty box stuffed with junk for weight) they never questioned them or opened the box just gave a refund, but if that was me I would have been interrogated..........

Yeah, the strangest part was that they didn't even have me fill anything out. I suppose they were smart enough to realize that I did pay with a CC, so if they needed to get a hold of me, they could.

I think she was a manager, actually. When I got up there, the person manning the desk told me they had already called the manager over to deal with it. I think they had me profiled. I suppose it must be my sandals. They're looking a little ragged now-a-days.

Call there in the morning, there will probably be a different "manager" there then, or ask to speak to the store manager not a shift manager, they may be different.

target did this to me after black friday one year. I bought the shrek movie, well I noticed after I left the store that is was moving all over in the case, it was a gift so I didnt want to open it to see if it was broke, so I took the movie along with my receipt back to the store and the customer service lady pretty much acted like I stole it when I had my receipt. Makes no sense.

target did this to me after black friday one year. I bought the shrek movie, well I noticed after I left the store that is was moving all over in the case, it was a gift so I didnt want to open it to see if it was broke, so I took the movie along with my receipt back to the store and the customer service lady pretty much acted like I stole it when I had my receipt. Makes no sense.

thats funny as the shrek 3 dvd was empty for us last black friday....guess dreamworks quality control is napping on job

Sorry you had a hard time but I think it was an employee problem not a company problem. Seems like everyone once in awhile one wants to act like they know everything and they own the place, it is usually NOT when you the customer needs help either.

I had the same thing happen once with a movie. I almost didn't even take it back because I figured they would think I was crazy (Walmart, not Target) but the CS lady said it actually happens quite a bit.

I'd put in a complaint with cooperate myself just so it is on record. Good luck!

Sorry they gave you a hard time about it. I agreee with mom2monkies, it sounds like an employee problem rather than a company problem. I would also call corporate. If you have the name of the employee, that is even better.

When I worked at Kmart I learned how quickly the management would abandon all corporate rules to make a customer happy... they NEVER backed us up when we followed the rules.

I HATE that! Happened all the time at my previous job.

When I worked at Kmart I learned how quickly the management would abandon all corporate rules to make a customer happy... they NEVER backed us up when we followed the rules. Even if CS is a jerk, a manager would have set it right in a minute.

I had the same experience working at Kmart. I had an irate customer one time that called me every name in the book (in front of her kids no less) when I told her I didn't have a book to match the Martha Stewart paint to her home fashions. I actually had no clue what she was talking about and still don't, but she insisted she heard it on Martha Stewart. In fact my dept. manager had no clue. Well, after letting her call me names, and not saying anything, but I was sorry I couldn't help her, she stormed off and told a manager that I didn't know what I was doing, etc. She got a gift card and I got told about it. He didn't even ask me what happened!!! I am so glad I don't work there anymore!

I had a similar issue to that at Walmart. We bought an XBox Live card and hubby went to use the code and it wouldn't work so he called Xbox and they said it wasn't a valid code. We went to walmart and they wouldn't exchange it since we had scratched the card to get the code. I guess they thought we had an old card that we were just trying to get it for free but we had a receipt. Hubby pitched a fit because the lady said too bad we can't exchange it and finally after talking to management they did.

sometimes employees think they own the store or whatever. What happen to me once at another store is that I got a music cd (christian music) and it was broken so I took it back and the lady told me that I broke it!! I was like well I'm not going to come back here and lie to you. they call a manager and problem solve new cd!

My mom just had a very similiar issue with a phone. The battery wasn't in the box. They went there after a phone that had 3 handsets, they didn't have any in stock so the guy was going to give her a raincheck. When he went to print the raincheck he said "well it says here I can substitute". So, he sold them a phone that had 2 handsets for a bit of a discount. When they got home the battery was missing so they turned around and drove all the way back (30 min). Long story short, the manager told them the guy shouldn't have made the substitution they already got a great deal on it. (pretty much telling them if they wanted a battery they had to BUY one even though it was supposed to be included) My mom told her "Now I remember why I don't shop at Target", told her to give her her $$ back and she would go somewhere else. When she got back home she called the store and asked for the home office's number. The girl on the phone said we don't have a home office and my mom told her there had to be a home office. The girl really snotty said "do you mean corporate?" It's no wonder my mom hates that store.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the almost the same issue. We bought my mom a ps2 for mothers day and her bday. When she opened it and started to hook it up, it was empty. Everything from the inside was gone. She thought we were playing a joke on her.

I called Target and explained it to them. They were real friendly and had no problem doing the exhange. We did open the new ps2 in the store to verify the insides were still there.

My daughter returned a clothing item (without a reciept), but she bought it with her debit card. I told her they can do a look up. She is 21 but looks about 16 they gave her such a hard time. She said she would be purchasing something else they told her she had 30 seconds to find it, bring it up and finish the transaction. I was so mad.

My daughter returned a clothing item (without a reciept), but she bought it with her debit card. I told her they can do a look up. She is 21 but looks about 16 they gave her such a hard time. She said she would be purchasing something else they told her she had 30 seconds to find it, bring it up and finish the transaction. I was so mad.

I'd have called the manager right then and there - used my cell phone from the parking lot if I had to... I looked younger than I was for many years (still do - but the kids give me away) and would not tolerate disrespect for it... probably took things too personally. :D

I had the same experience with them. I had bought a couple of shirts for my husband and of course, he didn't like them. (Late June) Shortly afterwards I had a miscarriage. Went to return them in early August with the receipt and they treated me like I had stolen them. They instisted that I specifically had to get men's shirts. I told them my husband had an issue with the quality of the shirts and was in the store for something else. Their answer was no........ So I left and so went my business and I don't hesitate to tell others.........

I had the same experience with them. I had bought a couple of shirts for my husband and of course, he didn't like them. (Late June) Shortly afterwards I had a miscarriage. Went to return them in early August with the receipt and they treated me like I had stolen them. They instisted that I specifically had to get men's shirts. I told them my husband had an issue with the quality of the shirts and was in the store for something else. Their answer was no........ So I left and so went my business and I don't hesitate to tell others.........

That doesn't make sense, you had the receipt and were well within the 90 day return policy. Did you ask to speak to a manager?

You should have had NO problem getting a full refund since you had the receipt and were returning them less than 90 days after purchase. I would definitely call and speak to the manager.

Although I prefer to shop at Targer, rather than Kmart or Wal-Mart, their return/exchange policy leaves a lot to be desired. I am in agreement with everyone who says to deal directly with a manager instead of a $7/hr part-timer. There have been times where the store manager will refuse to budge on certain return and exchange issues; however, I've found that by getting either the corporate office or district manager involved will work.

Yes.

Target joined my stores to boycott. They're on there with Circuit City, Sears and a local pizza place who refused to honor a coupon I had.