to TIVO or not to TIVO

I am soon to be kicking my satellite TV to the curb and still want a DVR with the cable I get. Comcast is about 27 bucks a month per DVR - which you have to get a DVR for each TV (at least that's what they told me).

I'm wondering if there are any words of wisdom out there whether to get TIVO or a DVR from a retailer - Best Buy, WM. I know with TIVO you have to pay a subscription. So I'm wondering what the pros and cons are that people have run into.

Thanks people!!

it's not $27 a month per dvr, we have 2 and pay like $7.95 each for them from comcrap, I'd call back

I have Comcast also, I pay under $10 for the service, which includes the box. And we only have it for one tv, you do not need it for all of them. I'd call back.

+1

There is no way it should be $27. Perhaps that is for the whole service with the DVR.

If you're used to and enjoy the Tivo service...I'd wait for one of their promotions and use that instead of the cable company. I have DTV w/Tivo and would go nuts if I had to go to a regular DVR system now (yes, I'm spoiled)...but then again, I wouldn't pay Comcast a dime more than I had to to get basic service for the locals. But when I looked into the cost difference between what I had set up on my DTV service w/Comcast, I was going to pay over $50 more a month w/Comcast to get the number of Tivo receivers (DVRs) that I currently have...not worth it to me, esp. if it was a switch back to Comcast. Yes, I very much dislike Comcast, sorry. :yuck:

i have direct tv with tivo and flove it....you can go online (if your not home) and set your tivo box to record something if you need to. you can transfer things from the tivo box to you computer if you want to. (you have to have it hooked to your internet for this stuff).

I've had Tivo for the past 4 1/2 years and my DVR was starting to act up. I had purchased the lifetime service on it. After comparing Tivo with Comcast, I got a DVR from Comcast last month. It is around $7.95 a month. I did some quick calculations and realized that if I purchased a new Tivo with lifetime again, it would have to outlive something like 4 1/2 years to start getting a return on it vs. just paying monthly with Comcast. I LOVED my Tivo, but so far I haven't seen any difference in the Comcast service. It's just learning how it is set up (each is a little different). :)

I have the DVR service with Comcast and I pay $13.90 per month (just one dvr). I felt only one dvr was needed as the other rooms only need regular receivers. I wish I could get the &7.95 per month. Maybe they did a price increase for newbies (I only have comcast for a few months now). In any event, I love the dvr. I wish I had it sooner.