Ipods vs other MP3 players

For those with anything but an Ipod...can you get videos to d/load onto them like you can on Itunes? My son has a shuffle and a Nano, but wants to upgrade to a classic Ipod video so he can watch shows/movies, etc. I really hate the price on the Apple products, so I've been looking at other options. Now...just need to know what type of software any of them use and can you get video downloads? Any help is appreciated...TIA!

I dont care for the Ipod because of my downright hatred of i tunes, what if you dont have internet access and want to mess with your player, and they arent the user friendliest things either.

I love creative. I have had a Zen sleek, which I upgraded to the Vision M so I could have video access. I love it, easy to work with, plays great. My mom now uses the sleek and it is a great player but has no video

I did have one accident at the beach last year, a wave and a bunch of sand got the best of me. My mother bought me a zune to replace mine after the beach, I opened the box, messed with it a minute, boxed it back up and took it back and got the same one I had before. I actually wanted the Vision W, but the bulky size changed my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

bumping...still need to know :confused:Any help is appreciated...TIA!

For those with anything but an Ipod...can you get videos to d/load onto them like you can on Itunes? My son has a shuffle and a Nano, but wants to upgrade to a classic Ipod video so he can watch shows/movies, etc. I really hate the price on the Apple products, so I've been looking at other options. Now...just need to know what type of software any of them use and can you get video downloads?

Now...just need to know what type of software any of them use and can you get video downloads?

The software that comes with the creative products will let you know if the video needs converted and it will do it, but it accepts many more types than the ipod does. You can also add things that you have in your files by drop and drag which I like alot.

My son has an older Creative 30 GB something or other. It's a big one. It's 4 or 5 years old and it still works great, but He doesn't use it anymore. His PSP will also play mp3's, videos and as a bonus, games, so he pretty much just uses the PSP. My daughter has a Shuffle she doesn't use at all. All of us have the Walkman phones, but I really want the new one that's coming out LOL

The software that comes with the creative products will let you know if the video needs converted and it will do it, but it accepts many more types than the ipod does. You can also add things that you have in your files by drop and drag which I like alot.

So, if he's already purchased video/songs on the Itunes store, the Creative software will convert it to a usable format for the new player? I know the Itunes stuff is weird, so I have to ask. :(

Guest mldepalma

I have an Archos 605 wifi. It is an mp3 player and a video player. It is really GREAT! It can do all sorts of stuff, but in order to do everything it says it can, you'll have to shell out even more money to buy add-ons and accessories. The video quality is great and the picture is big enough not to get a huge headache watching it. I've had it for a few months now and really like it. I bought the (optional) DVR device, and can record from the tv. I can edit the commercials out too. It is a wifi device too - so you can download videos directly from a number of sites... I haven't done that, so I can't tell you much about it. It might be worth looking into... www.archos.com

Good luck!

You are wonderful...thanks for the info!! :D

i think..not to sure but I TUNES videos are mpg4 files and my creative vision takes those without conversion.....I dont use i tunes so maybe someone else can tell me if that file type is right.

When I was looking into them a few years ago I looked on Amazon bcuz they list the techy specs and tell you what file types each of them will take

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I vote for Sansa as well. We have a View and an e280 and have purchased the accessory bundles on ebay. I don't think the ipod has a voice recorder. this is much easier than taking good notes at a meeting. grabbing music and videos from my library is easy, and downloading training is easy too. I have reviewed a gadget bundle and document the dvd conversion process on my (personal) web site...

http://danvilledelivery.com/sansa/

I actually had a free ipod for a while -- never really used it. We were watching some youtube clips on a 36" tube using the bundle's video cable this morning. I was surprised how good they looked.

Anyone know about the ipod touch - my DS just informed me that will be his Christmas wish item - I checked the prices - approximately $300 for the cheapest version!! eekk...

any experience with this

Buy one refurbished from ebay, looks brand new, less than 200.00 and you can buy a warranty...that is how I got mine and I LOVE IT!!!:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

I am boycotting apple because their music format on purchased songs is not compatible with other mp3 players.

iTunes is now selling music in MP3 format. I still prefer Amazon MP3 though.

I LOVE my iPod Touch. The Zunes seem to be pretty good as well, but I have no regrets with buying the touch.

I have an iriver clix, and love it. My daughters have sansa clips and they love them. I personally don't think the ipods are worth the extra price. Also, I don't use the Apple store. Also, downloading the music is very easy using these mp3 players, I just drag the songs.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know about the ipod touch - my DS just informed me that will be his Christmas wish item - I checked the prices - approximately $300 for the cheapest version!! eekk...

any experience with this

Yep, the iPod Touch is an incredible player. I use it more than my cell phone...should have just gotten an iPhone. :D If he wants it for video, the cool thing is that he can watch YouTube videos wherever he has a wireless connection. You can get them direct from Apple from their refurb section for $199 (8GB) / $299 (16GB).

My typical daily usage includes:

Email - have 2 gmail and one corporate email set up

Music / Podcasts - Usually listen to a podcast on the way to/from work

Internet - Has full internet browser, which comes in handy to avoid cell phone "data" fees

Apps - Whatever type of game / productivity tool you want, the app store likely has it. Many apps are free.

For those of you asking about Creative players for video, I highly recommend those as well. I've owned Creative players back 8 years, now, and used them until I got the Touch in February. The Zen Vision: M handled video great and the software was pretty user-friendly as well. The new Creative Zen X-Fi looks like a great alternative to the iPod Touch. You can pick a 16GB version up for <$200. Newegg has good prices on all 3 versions (8gb, 16gb, and 32gb). My wife has the Creative ZenV Plus, which plays video, but it's tiny on the 1.5" screen. Her usage is mostly for music while walking or plugging it into the car, so it was kind of an unneeded feature for her.