Ipods vs other MP3 players

Me personally, I bought an MP3 player - a Spongebob one. lol I went for the price, not the name or brand. My teens got IPODs for Christmas. For myself, I didn't care. I have a cover for it, so no one knows what I'm using. My kids wanted to have the IPOD brand.

They use ITunes, I use Windows Media Player. We mostly rip songs from CDs which is really easy using both. If my kids buy something from ITunes and I want it too, we put it on a CD, then load via Windows Media Player.

I've had both and prefer an Sansa mp3 player over the IPod. Mainly due to price, but I also don't like having ITunes on my comp. It's a rather pointless program for my needs.

:gdyeahthat: I much prefer my Creative Zen Vision W because I love my big screen, but I guess it's a matter of what you like. DD loves her Ipod 8gb Nano, DH loves his Zen and DS7 & 3 love their Sansa. :D

I have a Sandisk that was about $15 for a 2 gig, and another 12 for an additional 2 gigs, so I have to say for 2 gig music player for $27 is hard to beat. I use Rockbox firmware and it allows video on it. Though I also have an older sandisk e130 that only has 512 K but takes regular SD cards, and is powered by AAA batteries (I already have rechargeable ones) I like it because you can just change the battery and keep on going. It runs for around 12 hours on one, so it works well and I mostly use the radio to listen to NPR.

That said I think I am getting a new I phone when they come out next month.

I have a Zune, and absolutely love it. I just Zune's subscription service, which is unlimited downloads to the Zune for $14.99 a month. You can't burn them but I don't want to anyway. I will probably buy DD one for Christmas because you can have three devices ont he same account and it is really easy to use.

We have 3 Zunes and 1 Ipod. Everyone is happy with what they have. Dd14, Ds7 and I have the Zunes. I didn't ask for a Zune, Dh just got it for me, but I love it, and will probably really love it when I am sitting in a waiting room and am able to watch a movie. I also would've been fine with an Ipod. Before that, I had a little $39.95 mp3 player which was fine too. Dd14 uses her Zune for storing pics, watching movies and music. Ds7 uses his primarily for watching movies. Dd12 has an Ipod Shuffle, which she's completely happy with because she just wants music. She'd rather player her DS than watch movies. So, I think it depends on what you want in your player.

I am boycotting apple because their music format on purchased songs is not compatible with other mp3 players.

I manually converted all 95 songs by burning them and then ripping them onto the computer in a compatible format.

I am now the proud owner of a 4G Sansa e260 for $50, and have not used itunes in quite some time :)

My first player (besides my phone) was a 1gb Apple Shuffle.

When I wanted to expand into something with a screen, I decided I liked the small clip-on style so the Sandisk Clip was a natural choice. At $80, it cost the same as my one-year-old Shuffle did when it was new, but had 4x the capacity, the ability to record sounds as MP3s, an FM radio, a graphic equalizer, the ability to select genres, artists, songs or albums.

Even though they have dropped the price of Shuffles, I still would choose my Clip over the Shuffle.

I picked up a Sandisk Sansa 8GB for $90 from Amazon for my wife...she loves it. I bought an accesory kit on eBay for $16...total of $106 for 8GB player, silicone case with armband, home and car charger, 1 scratch resistant face cover & an extra lanyard.

A great bonus is the Sansa has a micro-sd slot, so you can add even more memory! I don't believe Ipods can do that.

Let everyone else pay too much for the Ipods "white headphone cord" ;)

The other thing that the Ipods doesn't have that most players do is a FM radio. I know my daughter sometimes complain that she would have loved to hear the radio every once in a while. My Zen has that and I think most Sandisk players do also.

The other thing that the Ipods doesn't have that most players do is a FM radio. I know my daughter sometimes complain that she would have loved to hear the radio every once in a while. My Zen has that and I think most Sandisk players do also.

in my little town in the mountains there are not enough FM stations to make that a selling point :) I live in the boonies....

That's kinda funny... I only listened to the FM radio on mine long enough to make sure that it functioned. :tongue1:

I have a Zune, and absolutely love it. I just Zune's subscription service, which is unlimited downloads to the Zune for $14.99 a month. You can't burn them but I don't want to anyway. I will probably buy DD one for Christmas because you can have three devices ont he same account and it is really easy to use.

Ditto--love my zune!

DD Has an iTouch and Ipod she prefers the iTouch

DS Has A Sansa - piece of crap and a Zune which he loves..

DH Has A Sony Mp3 Player he loves .. He also has an iPhone and usually uses that

Me- Ipod And Iphone

As long as the product works good then thats all that matters .. I have had Sony Bean mps players -fell apart... But I have had other people tell me they loved theirs.. My sons Sansa just has fallen aprt and he only uses it at home-

A word of warning if you get the kids Ipods don't let them bring to school we had had 3 stolen right out of locker..

If they would come out with one that was washing-maching proof I wouldn't care what brand it was! lol

I second that, but have to relay a funny story. DD has a SonyEriccson w580i phone with an mp3 player built in. She had had it 2 weeks and it disappeared! The whole neigborhood had been playing int he culdesac that day and I really fussed about her "losing" it. We replaced it under the insurance. Two weeks later, it turned up in the field down the road from the house, with little bitty fingerprints all over it (much too small to be anyone in my house) Apparently someone else really liked it too and toted it off. Anyway, it was fullof water. When I took the battery out, I literally poured water out of the back of it, but I wanted to try to dry it out because I wanted the memory card to get some songs off of. I put it in a bag of rice for a few days, and when I pulled it out, I opened the back and it came on. I has worked since then and I can't find anything wrong with it. I am sure we just got lucky, but this is the second Sony I have had with water damage that was revived. (one got dropped in the pool). Edited by all4mykids
Spelling!

I second that, but have to relay a funny story. DD has a SonyEriccson w580i phone with an mp3 player built in. She had had it 2 weeks and it disappeared! The whole neigborhood had been playing int he culdesac that day and I really fussed about her "losing" it. We replaced it under the insurance. Two weeks later, it turned up in the field down the road from the house, with little bitty fingerprints all over it (much too small to be anyone in my house) Apparently someone else really liked it too and toted it off. Anyway, it was fullof water. When I took the battery out, I literally poured water out of the back of it, but I wanted to try to dry it out because I wanted the memory card to get some songs off of. I put it in a bag of rice for a few days, and when I pulled it out, I opened the back and it came on. I has worked since then and I can't find anything wrong with it. I am sure we just got lucky, but this is the second Sony I have had with water damage that was revived. (one got dropped in the pool).

Samsung seems to be the same way. I have had to dry three out (none of my own thank goodness) and all three started up and are still working almost 2 years later.

in my little town in the mountains there are not enough FM stations to make that a selling point :) I live in the boonies....

I like having the radio in my Sansa b/c the TVs at the gym I go to are tuned to different radio stations. So I get to watch the news when I am running at 5am! And I also sometimes get to hear Sirius without the Stilletto if someone near-by has their Sirius radio on.