Dell Vostro 200 Desktop $379

craz4u3

I got this from another board:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=brdwsbm&s=bsd&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378

I was hoping that the posters who helped me before might help me again and tell me if this is sufficient for my needs - basically the kids use it to write papers for school, download music and burn cds. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, I should add/change to this system? Can you burn music/writing cds (not sure what that's called) on this one? Thanks so much in advance! :)

I think it would do OK. Depends on how much your kids load it up with other stuff. It's a really, really basic system. 1gig ram, XP home, 80gig hard drive, and an entry-level processor (at least it's a dual core).

My opinion is to maybe wait for another month or so, as there's some new processors coming out (extreme quads and such), and I'm expecting that for the same money you'll be able to pick up a system maybe about 30% better, for the same price. Estimation is by spring break. Have already seen the standard quad-core prices drop by about $100 since the beginning of the year.

Again, my opinion.

If you want to burn cds you need to upgrade to at least the cd-rw drive - a dvd-rom drive will only read, not write. Also, it says there is no modem option which is fine if you have a modem provided by your isp (usually phone or cable company). If you need a dial-up modem, this doesn't have one. Other than that, it looks like a good deal. ;)

Jennifer

Forgot to mention that the price is $569 with $170 rebates, you can also get a free printer after rebate $70. I don't think any stores have them left they went like hot cakes. I had to ring the store and they said to order online.

Quality wise, I have had both a Dell and a Compaq and I would never, ever buy a Compaq again. I had nothing but problems with it. I have had my Dell for 4 years, paid a little over $500 for it and it will run almost anything. (It shocked the fiancee when he could run Microsoft Flight Simulator X off it no problem!) This is just my opinion and I am sure others have had different experiences. Of course, with kids downloading stuff and all, that tends to make the computer run slower with all the clicking of "ok" without reading. :) I'm speaking from experience with the step-children. (They've had 4 computers in 3 years...)