ProFlowers rant - a fuel surcharge!?!?!

I remember reading this in our local newspaper last week.

Apparently the cost of roses have gone up, and vendors are making little to no profit on them. In addition because of supply and demand the distributors of the roses are charging vendors more, and the vendors can't raise the prices just for one holiday without losing credibility. So it might be that they just can't afford to ignore the rising costs of gas..

It does stink though.

I remember reading this in our local newspaper last week.

Apparently the cost of roses have gone up, and vendors are making little to no profit on them. In addition because of supply and demand the distributors of the roses are charging vendors more, and the vendors can't raise the prices just for one holiday without losing credibility. So it might be that they just can't afford to ignore the rising costs of gas..

It does stink though.

Roses and other flowers always go up in price the beginning of February since the growers know there is going to be a big demand for it. I have a problem that they are not making money on it and can't raise their prices for one holiday, they always have in the past. I use to own a florist and we had to raise the prices to cover our cost. We use to get charged almost $1.50 a rose from a wholesaler, we eventually went to the growers and bought our flowers but they still would charge .75 cents per rose versus .25 they had charged just weeks before. I think most people expect the prices to be higher around V-day, even the roses at Costco are higher. They should either raise their price to include the cost increase or raise their shipping price. Sometimes, itemizing everything just turns people off.

Even FedEx and UPS has raised their fuel charge, have you all noticed the prices of food have been creeping up? I really noticed it at our Costco, about $2 for alot of items. BTW, I was a florist over 15 years ago so that was the prices then, its probably more now LOL

As long as it is listed up front... I may not like it but I understand.

I once ordered flowers to be delivered from a local flowershop (local to where I wanted them sent). I ordered online. They charged my card more than the invoice stated. When I asked why they said it was out of range.

WTH? I approved X dollars. you can't add more whenever you feel like it. I fought the additional amount w/ my credit card company and did not pay it.

This is for a delivery this Friday for an engagement oarty I cannot attend in Maryland.

I understand gas has gone up, we all hurt from that. But shipping is by weight - these aren't bowling balls, they're flowers being FedEx'd or UPS's fr:Miami to Maryland, not even being personlly delivered fr:a local florist.

I know I don't have to use them again & won't. It burned me up inside when I placed the order this AM. I just used them last week to send flowers to North Carolina & there wasn't a "fuel surcharge" then.

:mad:

Most florists have been charging a delivery surcharge for awhile. Also, Pizza delivery restaurants charge it. When I worked at Pizza Hut several years ago, it was 50 cents. ORdered from Papa Johns the other night, it was $1.75! I didn't realize it till I got my order and it was printed on the receipt. Not sure what Papa Johns does, but I know that when I worked at Pizza Hut, the driver didn't even get that 50 cent fuel surcharge, the store actually got it!

I'm not saying I'm happy when I pay a fuel surcharge, but at least it's better than an overall price increase. With an overall increase, there is no likelihood of a price decrease EVER. However, if the price of fuel ever goes down (ha ha, I know), there is a possibility of the surcharge being lowered or removed.

A few months back, a Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio TX we frequent posted a sign for a "cheese surcharge", so that any meal ordered that contained cheese would be charged that extra fee. A family member commented on how wrong they thought that was, that the restaurant should have just increased their overall menu price but most of us thought, well, at least when the price adjusts itself out on that commodity, the cheese surcharge will be removed. It was eventually removed and menu prices remained the same.

Sometimes shipping companies do not only charge by weight, they will charge by weight and size of the package. Last time I sent something by UPS they weighed and measured it.

The only thing I would suggest is to look up a florist in the area online and call them directly to order as opposed to using somewhere like 1-800-flowers. I have had luck getting them cheaper when I have sent flowers to my mother like that. HTH