Game Stop Gripe...

siczlo

:mad: So my youngest wanted to return a Nicktoons DS game, and my oldest, a Spiderman Wii game. Neither were ever opened and still sealed. Both games were originally purchased at Target for a total of $45. My sons have been trading in games for store credit at Gamestop for about 6 months now, trying to save for a Playstation 3. They have about $160 in store credit so far. So they decided to trade the games at Gamestop for more store credit. The guy does the transaction, and says $13 store credit. $13!!! That's it? For 2 sealed, brand new games! My son says forget it. But the guy broke open the seals to look at the games, now I can't even return them to the original store. That makes me mad. They should tell you the value before they break the seals.

call the company and complain...they owe you two brand new sealed games since the guy in the store broke the seal so you can't return them to the original store you purchased them from. Did you speak to a manager at the GS?? If a store manager doesn't replace them or give full credit then call the corporate offices and complain...LOUDLY. That's ridiculous. He didn't need to break the seal on BRAND NEW games...they obviously haven't been used...they weren't ever opened!

If you can't get the store/store manager to make things right here's the contact info from their website:

Store Issues

If you have an issue with a store, please contact the GameStop.com Customer Service Center at 1-800-883-8895. At the menu press 4 to be directed to Store Issues. They will be able to assist you with any issue you may have regarding stores. Hours of operation: Open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (CST); Saturday - Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CST) .

if they are older, not as popular games, the trade-in value won't be as much.

also, they have to open the games to make sure the game is inside the box. too many people try to return a box with some other CD/DVD inside to try to pass off as a sealed item if they have the sealing machine or access to a shrink wrap/sealing machine.

you can speak to the manager, and see if they can give you the value before agreeing to trade-in the games to them so that you may have a chance to return them for the future. you might be able to fight for a little more trade-in value, but i'm not sure how much more you can get. there was no way you were going to get the retail price you paid for them. once we traded in a game a week after purchasing it, and i think they gave us half of the value, and of course they sold it as a "used" game for 5 dollars off retail since it was still fairly new.

if they are older, not as popular games, the trade-in value won't be as much.

also, they have to open the games to make sure the game is inside the box. too many people try to return a box with some other CD/DVD inside to try to pass off as a sealed item if they have the sealing machine or access to a shrink wrap/sealing machine.

you can speak to the manager, and see if they can give you the value before agreeing to trade-in the games to them so that you may have a chance to return them for the future. you might be able to fight for a little more trade-in value, but i'm not sure how much more you can get. there was no way you were going to get the retail price you paid for them. once we traded in a game a week after purchasing it, and i think they gave us half of the value, and of course they sold it as a "used" game for 5 dollars off retail since it was still fairly new.

I can understand that completely...what doesn't make sense is that they would open the games before they gave you a value and you agreed to allow the trade/credit to take place. They should inform a person of the trade value before breaking any sealed games. Upon an agreement to trade, then they can break the seal and check the contents,etc before actually completing the transaction. Breaking the seal before giving a trade value was wrong. :(

I went to game stop to trade in new unopened games. They HAVE To break open the items. And I was told they actually are not allowed to do it, I had to take them outside and open them all myself and bring them back in for them check to see how much they are worth.

Remember Gamestop is in it to make money. Everything they buy they have to turn around and sell and I am sure they have a certain % of mark up.

Half.com is a great place to sell games like that and unlike Gamestop, condition matters. Someone will pay more for a new unopened game on Half.com.

I agree with everyone who says that they have to open the games to look at them...but they could tell the customer..."Look, if these are in mint condition you will get $x.xx for them." Then the customer could decide whether it was worth it to them or not. Obviously, it was not for this customer because they could've returned the unopened games to Target for a full refund.

Never take brand new games to gamestop for store credit, it's definitely not worth it. I had called and asked what they would give me for a brand new never opened ps3 rock band game and he told me 18 dollars, thats crazy when they sell for 50 bucks at least.

My son thought he would get full credit for them because they were brand new. He likes store credit so he doesn't get tempted to spend $ on something else. I take the whole experience as a lesson learned. I do think they should tell you the price before they open it. At target, I had used a giftcard to purchase part of the total, so I thought they'ed be better off as well by trading for store credit at gamestop, (because they want the palystation3) Boy was I wrong!! It justs sucks...Just wanted to give other people a heads up if they're wanting to trade any unwanted Christmas games.

I'd still talk to the manager. I've had nothing but good exp. there. Last year we bought a used game for $17.99. It didn't work. I went to take it back- and they didn't have anymore of that one used in stock. So, they offered me a full refund-- or the manager (looking at my son's broken leg in it's cast) said I can just give you a new game. Yep, they exchanged the non-working used game for a brand new one- for no extra cost. I thought that was above and beyond.

Actually, the employee would not get in trouble for opening the games, they would get in trouble for even allowing you to trade them in. They are NOT allowed under any circumstance to accept a game that is still wrapped. And they are NOT allowed to let you go out & open the game to trade it in. I know it sucks, but thats thier policy :(

sorry that happend.. but I don't get why you wouldn't have just returned them to target in the first place ... :confused: even if they offered more than they did it would be as much as you would have gotten back at target ... and the boys could have just saved the cash ??:confused:

:gdiagree:

Well said, madisonsmommy. Personally, I find that lesson a far better one than encouraging return fraud.

How is that Fraud?? Isn't that the whole concept of GameStop???

And also, as stated before, I used a GIFTCARD for the purchase at Target. That's why I didn't do the cash.

But you all seem to be missing the point, which was..."If you are returning/trading a game at Gamestop, they will open the game seal, and then you will not be able to return it to the original store, so find out their offer, before you let them break the seal."

Well said, madisonsmommy. Personally, I find that lesson a far better one than encouraging return fraud.

If I understand correctly, she wasn't encouraging the boys to do anything dishonest by trying to "return" the game for full credit. The boys just wanted to know how much in-store GameStop credit they could receive for the sealed game (GameStop has a trade-in program to trade in your games for less than the value of the game to use on future GameStop purchases).

Had the employee mentioned he needed to open the game/seal, the boys could have made the decision to return the game Target for cash (or store credt) if they wanted. Now they don't have that option.

Gamestop has a list - they can tell you the possible trade in value before the open the games... of course they won't offer to do that - but you can call over the phone and get the trade in price. It is usually crap. You are better off selling them on craigs list or a local trading post.

I understand about kids and store credit. I don't know how old your son is - or what happened to the games in the end - but I'd have him call. :) if he is old enough.

Return Fraud??? They didn't try do anything illegal. I notice that you "leak" insider information for Kohl's, I would think that Kohl's would consider that illegal. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:no:

Gamestop is a place that TAKES trade in games. I think you need to know what you are talking about before you call a couple of kids FRAUDS!

I was told TRADE-IN value for new games is the SAME as TRADE-IN value for used games! So you definatly should have taken them back to Target and maybe saved the cash for them or if they are not good as saving cash you could have gotten a gamestop giftcard to go towards their store credit....

I would be mad that they opened them especially if they didn't tell you or your boys that they HAD to do so first....BUT I do halfway understand why they do it.

My gripe with Gamestop is they OPEN NEW games and then sell them! Who wants to give an opened game as a gift? Then it looks USED! Espeically with $60 Playstation games! That is just silly to me!

:cheesy:

Well like I said, Lesson learned. I hope our experience made those who didn't know that they do open the "new" games better consumers in the future. As for the games, my boys traded games with a couple of friends, their happy...at least for now...

By the way when I called the gamestop manager, he said that it was their policy to open the games. I told him that they should tell the customer est. value before opening. He said 'Sorry' and that's about it. SOOOO, like I said lesson learned.

If I could turn back time, we definitely would have chosen a different option. I just thought I'd post our experience to let others know because there are probably people out there who got doubles or unwanted games (and don't want to ask the giver for receipt) Gamestop is NOT the best option for brand new game trades. Thanks for everyone's opinion and support.:)

My gripe with Gamestop is they OPEN NEW games and then sell them! Who wants to give an opened game as a gift? Then it looks USED! Espeically with $60 Playstation games! That is just silly to me!

:cheesy:

I agree!! I bought my son 2 NEW psp games there on BF and was shocked that they had to go in the back to get the game to put in the case!! The Gamestop I usually go to has 1 for display and then they go get the new SEALED one from the back. If they had been for anyone but my own child, I wouldn't have bought them because as you said, they look used.:eyepoppin