For those with a Dyson vac...questions...

I broke down and bought a Dyson DC14 today, expecting it to be just the greatest vacuum I've ever owned. I was excited to use it. Put it together, ran it and was totally not impressed.

So, I have an area rug in my bedroom that is like a medium shag rug. Its not a full shag with really long fibers, but has a shaggy type of pile to it, almost like a high pile carpet would, but the pile is loose. I cannot push this vacuum across it at all! The front yellow bar that is supposed to auto adjust almost pushes down against the rug when I push it forward and will just not move. So, my question is, does anyone that have any sort of higher pile carpet or rug have any problems with using a Dyson? I also didnt like the fact that it seems as if you have to use the bare floor feature on all rugs except wall to wall carpet, which is a turn off since I dont have any wall to wall carpet in my house!

So, I'm not impressed so far, but wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong, or even if there is another Dyson model that would work better on our rugs? Has anyone experienced this, or have any suggestions? I'm so upset that I just spent $400 on a vacuum that is worse than my Hoover and I'm seriously considering taking it back! :(

I have the Absolute Animal model, so mine may work differently than yours. When I have trouble on an area rug, it is because I still have it on the bare floor setting. Did you change the setting to carpet? (I push a button that is to the right of my red on/off button for changing carpet/floor settings.) The one negative about Dyson is the manuals. They are worthless.

Call the customer service number. You will actually get a live human being, and they will help you. The number should be on a sticker that is on your vacuum. If something is wrong with your vacuum, they will send you a new one. Please let us know what you find out. Good luck.

I don't think I would of paid $400. for a vac just for cleaning rugs. It's for carpet and it says to switch to bare floor setting when going over rugs. I have had my dyson about 2 yrs and it does terrible on rugs using the bare floor setting b/c the brush isn't turning. I get the terrible noise it makes when I use the carpet setting on my rugs but it does a good job getting them clean. My rugs aren't the high pile though. I think you should probably talk to someone at dyson but am thinking it probably isn't the right vac for your purpose.

I like my Dyson. It's the Dyson 14 Drive one from Target & I've had it for over a year. I have 2 dogs: a golden & husky/lab/shepherd. It does great with the hair & cleans the rug by the back door to where it looks brand new. They bring in a lot of mud/dirt this time of year & that's where I clean their feet off. I vaccuum daily & it looks great. I empty my vaccuum about every other day & I'm always amazed at how much stuff is in there. The Dyson's have a 5 Year warranty & I have not had to call for service as of yet.

I have had my Dyson DC-07 for about 10 months and it is by far the nicest, quietest, best designed vacuum I have ever used. Had Hoover, Bissel, Panasonic, GE, Eureka and more, all uprights, and all used on wall-to-wall carpets. The design and the power combined with the quietness and performance makes me recommend this to anyone who is looking, which by the way is just about everyone with a 1 year old throwaway that doesn't currently own a Dyson. Paid $304 shipped new through WOOT. Can't say enough good things about it.:)

I have the weird green/purple one....the All-Gear. I really like it. Got it on one of the Amazon Friday specials. The only time I thought there was something wrong with it was when someone had flipped the switch from carpet to floors and I didn't realize it for a few minutes. It is true that it doesn't get close to the walls but it is easy to whip out the hose to get the edges. The first time or two we used it, I was totally grossed out by all the stuff it sucked up. Unbelievable. I have heard comments from people about how heavy Dyson's are but I have never thought so.

I have the Dyson Animal almost 4 yrs now. I love mine. I had central Vac for 10 years before that and you can't compare the 2. I have area rugs (my whole down stairs is hardwoods and I have 3 large area rugs in 3 of the rooms) and I haven't had any problems with it, but mine are not high pile rugs either. I didn't/don't notice any difference between the area rugs and wall to wall.

I have called one time and I needed a quarter to fix my problem. It was great a LIVE HUMAN the first time, no phone tree, no nothing. They just had me hold the phone to the vac and turn it on...she listened and told me what to do. I was pretty impressed.

In my opinion, you should take it back...I have the Dyson DC14..Same model as you..and I dont like it either...I have had for a year..and well i just dont get what all the fuss is about over the Dyson...

Its not that great of a vacume for the price...I purchased mine at Target and got a $100 GC with it...But I dont like it...

I liked my 10amp 5 year old Eureka better...I do agree the suction is great..But thats about it...

So take it back and buy something you like for less money.

I have the Dyson DC14 Animal (purple one). I love it! I have 4 boys and two adults in my house (no animals) but figured this has to work for me. I've been REALLY happy with it. I'm not sure how much I paid for it. But I bought it at Kohl's on sale and had the extra 30%. I've had mine for about 2 years. I would recommend it. But I guess like with EVERYTHING. It is personal taste. If you don't like it, then I would take it back. $400.00 is a lot to pay for something you don't really like. I've had a few vacuums over the last 20 years of owning homes. And the only thing I wish they would have is a self propelled dyson. I was waiting for that and was sure it would come out as soon as I bought mine. :cheesy: I'm glad I didn't wait any longer (I'd still be waiting). I use mine through out my house. I have 1/2 tile and 1/2 REALLY thick carpet. And it works AWESOME!!! I can't believe the stuff it pulls up when you think your carpet is clean. :eyepoppin (I mean my house is ALWAYS perfectly clean :D)

I've had mine for about 2 years and absolutely love it. After a while the brush had so much accumlated hair and I was so frustrated and DH called customer service (nicest person) and helped us out and now it runs like new again. The only negative I must say is the stairs...I hate how I have to assemble it for the stairs.