Anyone else disappointed in Thomas the Train Products?

maaj

We had a wonderful Christmas this year, but we were VERY disappointed in Thomas the Train products. Out of 4 kids (2 sets of twins) we were most excited about one of our 4.5 yr. old sons. He is "developmentally delayed" (going Jan. 2 for neurology assessment) but I believe he has an autistic spectrum disorder. That being said, he LOVES Thomas the Train. This is a fairly recent obsession so we had no Thomas toys and that is all he looked forward to this year (this was also his first Christmas that he was actually aware of Christmas and what goes on with Santa). I was up with him still at 2 a.m. because he could not sleep waiting for Santa because he wanted to ride with Thomas and Santa in his sleigh.

We bought 4 different sets of the Thomas the Train Take Along sets. One being a large one that the tracks are set up in the air almost like a rollercoaster and does all kinds of stuff. We are soooooo upset that he is only able to play with the cars. The products are very cheaply made. The only way we are going to be able to make the large one work is set it up on wood and stabilize it with screws. For goodness sakes my child wants to play with it now and he can't. He is laying in bed right now with this Thomas train (which he will sleep with) and he is saying "Mom we need to fix Thomas' shed tomorrow". He does not understand that we can not get it to work.

As soon as I post this I am going to look up whoever makes this line of toys and I plan on writing them correspondence and letting them know of our major DISAPPOINTMENT.

I agree with you - the take-along stuff tends to fall apart (we have that roller coaster set too and gave up on it except for the tower spiral part). I do highly suggest you consider buying some of the wooden stuff instead. It is pricier but just so much more simple and easy to maneuver - also fun to collect over time. My younger kids enjoy just running the trains along any surface with their hands but my 5 year old is becoming a master at engineering complex wooden track layouts. :)

That is what we plan on doing because we know there is absolutely no way we will get him out of this phase anytime soon (nor do we want too since it is a great bargaining tool for us in therapy with him) so if any fellow dealers hear of any deals for this stuff let me know! :)

The Take along sets are cheap. Go with the wood sets. They'll last 10X as long! My son started his obsession at 1 and is still playing with some of the same trains (although he doesn't want his friends to know!). He is on the autism spectrum also. He has Speech Apraxia.

That is too cute. Mine has always lined up all his toys and has never "ticked" like other kids his age (he is almost five and is just now starting the "why" phase) but he is highly functioning. I am hoping Thomas will help us potty train!!

I am going to start looking for deals on the wooden sets! Thanks.

You can definitely buy cheaper compatible wooden tracks and accessories, like the kind made by Maxim, Little Tree, etc and save your money for the actual Thomas brand engines which are so cute. Target now sells the wooden stuff so keep an eye out for sales there - or you can always get 10% off codes for target.com... Also, look in the VHS/DVD section at Target and other retailers for videos packaged with a wooden train - often you can get the train and the video for the same or less than the train would be alone. We got started this way! :)

That is too cute. Mine has always lined up all his toys and has never "ticked" like other kids his age (he is almost five and is just now starting the "why" phase) but he is highly functioning. I am hoping Thomas will help us potty train!!

I am going to start looking for deals on the wooden sets! Thanks.

Do you have a michaels near you? If so most of these stores carry Thomas stuff..You can use the 40% off coupons that come out practically every sunday on the thomas stuff as long as it is not already on sale. Other than some lucky clearance finds this is the best deal I have found on the wooden thomas stuff. HTH :)

Do you have a michaels near you? If so most of these stores carry Thomas stuff..You can use the 40% off coupons that come out practically every sunday on the thomas stuff as long as it is not already on sale. Other than some lucky clearance finds this is the best deal I have found on the wooden thomas stuff. HTH :)

Thank you VERY MUCH because I would have NEVER thought of that place. We do have a Micheals and I have only been in there once or twice. I always want to go, but never have thought I had a reason. I always see those coupons and want to go get something, but never have! Thanks bunches! :)

My 3yo is obsessed with Thomas as well. Thanks to a WONDERFUL tip on this board, I was able to get 2 sets ( a figure 8 set, and a figure 8 expansion) for around $50 at Michaels! Each set alone is $50, and even teh cheaper sets arent that cheap! My son has had a blast with it, and one of the trains is motorized, so he is having fun seeing how many cars it can pull before it derails, lol.

I don't think I've ever seen wooden Thomas trains at our Michael's, but you can sure bet I'm going to look next time I'm there!

We have both types, and I get so frustrated with the take-alongs. The tracks are so difficult for the kids to put together! My DD (almost 5 and very good at putting things together) even has a hard time snapping them into place.

We use only wooden! My son is 4 and has been obsessed with Thomas since he could hold a toy. I don't even want to guess how much we have invested in Thomas. However these are things that will never find their way into my garage sales ;-). This morning I found a Knapford Bridge 1/2 off at Target but I typically buy at TRU when they have things on sale or AllAboardToys.com. I did notice Target had a wooden set on 30% off sale but I didn't pay attention to the price...it was one we purchased a couple of years ago.

Save $10 on a Thomas order of $75 or more by using this code:kdcf6457 at AllAboardToys.com, also when you order you get frequent buyer points that as of now do not expire.

Thank you so much. I will go check them out. I just got back online to look up the "Melissa and Doug" wooden train sets. I just went to our local Hudson's and they had a $200 set and we got it for $40. We just got home with it and DH is setting it up right now, but the Thomas larger trains are too big for it and the smaller ones are too small. He saw the trains that came with it and he said "they do not have a face on them, this is not Thomas", ha, so I am about to go to the stores with a piece of track and see what I can do.

Ok, just looked up this set we got (it was not in the original box, it was in the styrofoam which would have been in the original box and we got the 130 Piece Melissa and Doug wooden set for $40. They run around $110, so that is a deal to me, even though it was not originally $200 like they had marked.

I feel better now, dad only was able to make a round circle because he would not wait to do the whole thing and he is thrilled putting them all in the "shed". Thanks everyone. I am going to watch him play for a bit then try to go find more thomas tanks to fit this track.

we buy both the wooden sets and the blue plastic motorized sets. My 5 year old prefers the blue plastic motorized sets and on the larger sets we superglue them together so they cant be taken apart. He also has one of the sets permanently attached to a sheet of panneling board. Plus the blue plastic motorized sets are cheaper,which mommy likes, LOL

I haven't had a problem yet with the Take Along sets. We can't afford the wooden ones.... so I bought a plain train table for 50 this October and bought him a bunch of the Take Along sets to go on it. He absolutely adores it. Yesterday, Santa got him the Coal Mountain.... he hasn't been able to quit playing with it. He also got the Cranky the Crane, the Racing one, and Tidimouth (sp?) station. He has had so much fun setting them up and playing with all of the trains. He has probably 25 die cast trains that various people have given him.

They are relatively inexpensive so when he gets tired of one... we take it off the table and put a new one on it. He was kind of bored with the Engine wash and we switched it out with the Fire Engine. Just my opinion, but for the money we really enjoy the take along sets. Plus it is great to pack one up and take it to Grandma's house.

My ds4 also has alot of the take along sets and we've never really had a problem with them. Yes, if you try to set them up on just carpet they can come apart but thats why we put them on a train table. He absolutely adores them!! He also likes that we can pack up a set or two to take with us when we go to Grandma's. We also just got him some of the blue motorized track when we went to the Day out with Thomas in September.. he likes those too but usually just pushes them along instead of turning them on the run on the batteries... Guess he's a control freak already ;)

Loads of Thomas stuff here this Christmas, too. My ds 3 loves all the Thomas tracks and trains he got, and my ds 8 is having fun building the tracks in different routes for him! We have a train table in the basement I think we're gonna have to bring up very soon, so I can have the kitchen floor back!

I just got back from Walmart and discovered they do not carry the wooden stuff, BUT they had 40% off of most Thomas Take Along stuff, for those of you that like those. The cars for the Take Along kits which I am buying him for his wood track we bought were only $3.00 when I think they are regularly $6.86.

just an fyi, the metal take along train cars will not fit the wooden tracks at all - their wheel base is too narrow. the larger plastic Thomas train cars will fit the wooden tracks, but will not go under bridges and stuff that go with wooden sets. you really need to get the medium base wood trains to go with the wooden tracks and accessories......