Now this is just rude!!!

Scanner420

Alright!! I just had to post this because it's too rediculous to believe. I went and did a return last night at TRU on my way to work. Afterwards, I walked a bit and saw they had a promotion with the video-rockers, where you actually get two free if you buy a new game system by Dec 24th. I really didn't get a chance to read over all of it, (I was running late) but I was curious, since I bought a Wii there a month ago and called the store on my way into work.

After ten minutes of waiting I get through to the service desk, to be told that she wasn't aware of any such sale. When I told her I was just there, she transferred me to the "R-Zone." The kid who answered said she didn't know of any sale and I told her they had a display about it and she still wasn't aware of it. I told her I had bought the Wii a month ago and she told me that they didn't have any Wii's in stock...sorry! I stopped her again and by now, I could tell she was getting short-temperred with me.

I took a breath and told her slowly, that I saw the display for the free chairs and wondered if the product I had bought a month ago, at that store, qualified for the freebies and quick as anything, she said no, it has to be no later than 10 days from the sale and that it was store policy. (kinda ironic that five minutes ago, she knew nothing about the sale.) I thanked her and she simply said "bye", but I didn't hang up and I heard her talking as she hung up saying "God! These 'freekin' people want everything! It's rediculous!" (substitute another F-word for freeking)

I immediately tried calling back and got the automated system and lost the call. I tried again and got through to the service desk and asked to be put through to the manager and was left on hold. Now.....I'm not some deadbeat looking for a *DAMN* handout. With 4 kids of my own, I have spent a good deal of $$$ at TRU over the years. But if this is the way they're going to treat people, then I guess someone else will benefit at their loss. I have contacted Corporate with this and will let you know if I hear anything.

Unfortunately, many people in retail are not well trained or educated in the ways of customer service, it is truly becoming a lost art. However, the foul language used is unacceptable as that person might have had other customers within earshot also and some of them might not be adults...(my kids would have picked up on that word immediately when they were younger). I hope you hear from Corporate!

Um... It's not like she was saying the "God! These 'freekin' people want everything! It's rediculous!" thing directly to you. It's called venting. Obviously you didn't understand her and she clearly didn't understand you. And you posting this thread is YOUR vent.

I'm sorry but I've worked in retail and I've heard people complain about everything. I don't see the big deal in what "happened" to you. *shrugs*

Um... It's not like she was saying the "God! These 'freekin' people want everything! It's rediculous!" thing directly to you. It's called venting. Obviously you didn't understand her and she clearly didn't understand you. And you posting this thread is YOUR vent.

I'm sorry but I've worked in retail and I've heard people complain about everything. I don't see the big deal in what "happened" to you. *shrugs*

Costumer service is there to answer questions.... it is their JOB. She should not have been so exasperated with having to actually preform it. I think it is reasonable to want to be treated with some sort of respect. They should not act like you are inconveniencing them. I have worked costumer service too. Yes there are frustrating days, but still it was my JOB. I would have never thought to react in such a manner. :no: The problem is we tend to accept mediocrity in service and rude employees have become the norm.

Costumer service is there to answer questions.... it is their JOB. She should not have been so exasperated with having to actually preform it. I think it is reasonable to want to be treated with some sort of respect. They should not act like you are inconveniencing them. I have worked costumer service too. Yes there are frustrating days, but still it was my JOB. I would have never thought to react in such a manner. :no: The problem is we tend to accept mediocrity in service and rude employees have become the norm.

I don't see anywhere in the OP's post that suggests the employee was not doing their job. All I see is that there was some miscommunication and a simple "bye". If THAT'S bad customer service, then I guess retail employees are actually supposed to hold their customers' hands and bow down to them. As for the reaction at the end from the employee, like I said, it wasn't said directly to the OP so I don't see how that was rude. We've all had bad days at work and have had to deal with crappy people and that's why we vent to our coworkers about it which was exactly what the employee was doing.

Maybe it isn't bad customer service but an unrealistic high expectation??

I did not state that she was not doing her job, I merely pointed out that this was PART of her job. I do consider rudeness to be bad costumer service. It is not an "unrealistic high expectation" to expect employees to be knowledgeable of current in-store promotions. Even if the comment was not made directly to the OP there is no excuse for using that type of language in a childrens toy store, or at all for matter. I understand she might have been having a bad day, but what exactly did the op do that was crappy? I do not expect retail employees to hold my hand however as it states in their tittle there are there to provide service to the costumer. Good costumer service would be getting an answer to your question when asked the first time (if there was a confusion it sure did not seem like the employees was doing anything to clarify the situation) and being left to feel like and inconvenience .

While what she said was very inappropriate...you should NEVER use language like that in a retail environment, much less a TOY store....I have to say, I was in a TRU last night, and it was a complete madhouse. THey are extremely understaffed, extremely busy, and in the R Zone there was 2 clerks, who had to handle the line that wrapped around the area, unlocking any items on the wall that customers wanted, and answer the phone calls. I can see how the emplyess would be on edge, to say the least. I would still contact someone, as the language was very inappropriate. But I would focus only on that, as the rest is pretty much holiday burnout and I doubt you'd get very far with it.

Having worked over 15 years in Customer Service and in Manager capacity.. I can assure you that making comments after hanging up the phone to other employees is not acceptable. Its a toxic enivornment and is something that in most places you can be held accountable for.

I understand the season is busy adn they get calls, but it IS THEIR JOB to provide courteous and professional information to their guests/customers at all times. If they do not know a promotion they should find out. If they dont let you get a word in edgewise then they are not doing their job.

As far as the PP who said we are expecting people to hold our hands.. Are you joking.. it proves that people expect to be paid for doing nothing and not being helpful under the guise that it isnt par tof their job! PLEASE!

Id have been on the phone to corporate right away as well.

Having worked over 15 years in Customer Service and in Manager capacity.. I can assure you that making comments after hanging up the phone to other employees is not acceptable. Its a toxic enivornment and is something that in most places you can be held accountable for.

I understand the season is busy adn they get calls, but it IS THEIR JOB to provide courteous and professional information to their guests/customers at all times. If they do not know a promotion they should find out. If they dont let you get a word in edgewise then they are not doing their job.

As far as the PP who said we are expecting people to hold our hands.. Are you joking.. it proves that people expect to be paid for doing nothing and not being helpful under the guise that it isnt par tof their job! PLEASE!

Amen!!! :yup::yup::yup:

First of all, obviously it's not OK to make "rude" comments when other customers are around but (a) who's to say that they were customers around in the first place and (B) if it wasn't said loud enough so customers could hear, what does it matter? I worked in a store that prides itself on customer service and I've seen managers talk about customers to each other all the time. As long as other customers don't hear, it's not a problem.

Second, as a manager, you obviously didn't encounter the customers who expected employees to hold their hands. There have been numerous occassions where I've been asked to show customers where every single thing on their list is located in the store because they're too lazy to read the signs and look for themselves. I've had people yell at me because I don't know every single detail about a stupid toaster. I've had people get angry at me because they asked me for my advice on certain products and they didn't like my answers.

Maybe where you worked you didn't have the pleasure of meeting these customers but employees that work in stores like Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us witness these customers daily.

If the OP wants to call corporate, go ahead. I can almost guarantee you that the store manager will be notified of the situation, and he'll/she'll laugh it off and do absolutely nothing about it. My friend works at the customer service desk at Target and she gets numerous complaints about certain employees who have given "bad" customer service. You know what happens? Absolutely nothing. People like to complain about EVERYTHING, don't they?

First of all, obviously it's not OK to make "rude" comments when other customers are around but (a) who's to say that they were customers around in the first place and (B) if it wasn't said loud enough so customers could hear, what does it matter? I worked in a store that prides itself on customer service and I've seen managers talk about customers to each other all the time. As long as other customers don't hear, it's not a problem.

Second, as a manager, you obviously didn't encounter the customers who expected employees to hold their hands. There have been numerous occassions where I've been asked to show customers where every single thing on their list is located in the store because they're too lazy to read the signs and look for themselves. I've had people yell at me because I don't know every single detail about a stupid toaster. I've had people get angry at me because they asked me for my advice on certain products and they didn't like my answers.

Maybe where you worked you didn't have the pleasure of meeting these customers but employees that work in stores like Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us witness these customers daily.

If the OP wants to call corporate, go ahead. I can almost guarantee you that the store manager will be notified of the situation, and he'll/she'll laugh it off and do absolutely nothing about it. My friend works at the customer service desk at Target and she gets numerous complaints about certain employees who have given "bad" customer service. You know what happens? Absolutely nothing. People like to complain about EVERYTHING, don't they?

Which is exactly why crappy service in stores continues.....

Your post just makes me think "wow'....maybe sales clerks that can not handle dealing with people have the wrong jobs. Washing dishes in a kitchen somewhere is probably a better fit for their personality.

I don't see anywhere in the OP's post that suggests the employee was not doing their job. All I see is that there was some miscommunication and a simple "bye". If THAT'S bad customer service, then I guess retail employees are actually supposed to hold their customers' hands and bow down to them. As for the reaction at the end from the employee, like I said, it wasn't said directly to the OP so I don't see how that was rude. We've all had bad days at work and have had to deal with crappy people and that's why we vent to our coworkers about it which was exactly what the employee was doing.

Maybe it isn't bad customer service but an unrealistic high expectation??

So it's EVER acceptable to use the "F" word in a CHILDREN'S TOY STORE where a child could have heard it? It was rude and completely ignorant and the person should be fired! Venting to coworkers should be done in a break room or after work NEVER EVER while an employee is working! And guess what, if part of your job is to answer phones in a store, you are going to get phone calls that annoy you especially at this time of year, and if you can't deal and with it and be polite then you shouldn't be answering the phone!

While I can see the valid points of all sides of this arguement I would like to point out 1 small thing. It seems that people here are always posting that TRU has bad customer service be it in store or online or when you call corporate, (remember the fiasco with the 12 deals of Christmas last year?). So why even bother shopping there when it is common knowledge that they are not only overpriced but their employees have the tendancy to be rude and uneducated about promotions and customer service?

One other thing, while the employee's choice of language was indeed unacceptable if she was on the sales floor where she could be heard by others the fact that she is not aware of a promotion? Gimme a break! TRU currently has how many different sales running right now? and the employees are expected to memorize everyone of them? I too have worked retail , (plus in-store unadvertised specials), and in a large store there is no way that you can keep track of every single promotion. Remember everything while attending to the needs of the customers in front of you, ringing people up, watching out for shoplifters, answering the phones, answering the questions of people who have no clue about what they buying, and on top of that you are suppossed to know about every product you sell and what is compatible with what, etc... its not an easy job even for the most people friendly person.

While I can see the valid points of all sides of this arguement I would like to point out 1 small thing. It seems that people here are always posting that TRU has bad customer service be it in store or online or when you call corporate, (remember the fiasco with the 12 deals of Christmas last year?). So why even bother shopping there when it is common knowledge that they are not only overpriced but their employees have the tendancy to be rude and uneducated about promotions and customer service?

One other thing, while the employee's choice of language was indeed unacceptable if she was on the sales floor where she could be heard by others the fact that she is not aware of a promotion? Gimme a break! TRU currently has how many different sales running right now? and the employees are expected to memorize everyone of them? I too have worked retail , (plus in-store unadvertised specials), and in a large store there is no way that you can keep track of every single promotion. Remember everything while attending to the needs of the customers in front of you, ringing people up, watching out for shoplifters, answering the phones, answering the questions of people who have no clue about what they buying, and on top of that you are suppossed to know about every product you sell and what is compatible with what, etc... its not an easy job even for the most people friendly person.

Thank you. I think people forget that retail workers are underpaid and overworked. Seems people think that retail workers are robots, not humans. You can only take so much crap from people before it starts to show. It's impossible for any human being to provide the best customer service possible when customers are continuously being rude.

And rennakay-I used to work at Target but I haven't for quite a few months. I'm not sure when the sales are anymore.

I worked customer service at WM for 2 1/2 years. I was cussed at, screamed at, had things thrown at me and much more. I was raised with a strong sense of customer service because my mother was a banker. I never took out a bad situation on my next customer. There were days when I wanted to walk out but I always did my job to the best of my ability. I worked at that store to earn a paycheck and customer service was my job description. Foul language is never acceptable in a place of employment (unless you're in the military...ha!). I would have been upset too.

On another note 'childofsolitude,' I am a stay at home mom and I am more overworked and underpaid then I ever was at WM. I sure as heck don't cuss at my kids when I'm frustrated;)

Aren't most people?

Minimum wage isn't a fair amount to pay folks that work in retail for all the crap they have to deal with. I don't think getting paid $13 an hour to work in a cubicle where you have the ability to shop on the internet is all that horrible. Sorry.

4gr8girls-You don't cuss IN FRONT of your kids. Like I said, who's to say that there were any customers around when the employee mentioned above made that comment.

People in retail have a job to do and that is to serve the customer in those stores. It is just like waitstaff at a restaurant. Sure there are difficult customers - but YOUR JOB IS TO HELP THEM - that is what you are getting paid for. If someone doesn't like getting paid the wage a store is offering then don't work there - find a different career. Customers keep the company you work for going - treat them bad and eventually you will lose your job when your company goes under. The fact that managers don't seem to care when they hear about bad customer service really tells me how bad of managers they really are. Instead of shrugging it off and assuming the customer is a trouble maker - maybe they should do their job and ensure the employees are providing the BEST service out there. That is how you get and keep customers period.

On a side note my cousin worked for customer service at a cable company. He was on a phone call and he THOUGHT he put a customer on hold. He then starts to "vent" and the customer heard the whole thing. My cousin got fired. Now he wasn't directly talking to the customer - he was talking to another co-worker and the customer heard it. That was not acceptable and he immediatly lost his job.

There is no excuse for cussing where a customer can hear - period. If that employee wanted to vent then next time make sure the phone is HUNG UP!

Thank you. I think people forget that retail workers are underpaid and overworked. Seems people think that retail workers are robots, not humans. You can only take so much crap from people before it starts to show. It's impossible for any human being to provide the best customer service possible when customers are continuously being rude.

And rennakay-I used to work at Target but I haven't for quite a few months. I'm not sure when the sales are anymore.

Your welcome. I guess that you and I are the only human beings here, which is why I CHOOSE not to be in the customer service field anymore. Most customers are more rude or ignorant than any employee that I have ever met.

I for one just wanted to add that if I would have been anywhere NEAR that person when she spoke like that I would have walked out with her job and not any toys! I have had to complain for a childrens PHOTOGRAPHER cursing in front of my kids before and she was fired. I for one do not allow ANYONE to speak that way around them and expect more from an employee at any child related service and actually ANY PLACE for that matter.

I agree that employees are less than helpful on the phone so I tend to go to the store instead. Then you can march right up and show exactly what you want to happen. If you cannot take working in public and dealing with people in general whether they be normal request or just pain in the butt people than find a nice night stocking job away from the general public. I am so tired of hearing how hard these people have it...just do the dang job that you are getting paid for!

Having worked in retail before I can understand both sides. I agree that customer service is not what it used to be, however that is because of the same people you are calling to complain to, Corporate. They are so worried about the bottom line that they understaff their stores, and don't properly train their employees. I will admit that I talk like a sailor, but would never use that language on the sales floor. That was unacceptable. I would bring that part up to corporate, but the rest will not even get followed up on. When I worked retail our managers would tell us when customers would call with complaints or when corporate would let the manager know of a complaint. They would laugh or make jokes about the customer. Good customer service starts with the top of the chain and trickles down. I believe that if corporate makes their employees happy, we too as customers will be happy! :)

Your welcome. I guess that you and I are the only human beings here, which is why I CHOOSE not to be in the customer service field anymore. Most customers are more rude or ignorant than any employee that I have ever met.

AMEN!

I worked in CS for years. There are people who walked in the door crabbing. Literally. I too, have had things thrown at me, been yelled at, expected to do someones shopping for them, explain the difference in toilet paper to people. How the hell am I supposed to know? I haven't used every toilet paper on the shelf and we aren't trained in the differences in products. When I couldn't answer them though, you would have thought I had committed a heinous crime. I have been called a c*** repeatedly. Like 15 - 20 times by a man I told to leave because every time he came in he stole stuff. I got yelled at because the price of laundry soap was more expensive this week than last week. I have been called a stupid f****** b**** because a woman in my line had 10 WIC checks, I was the only cashier on duty, the line was backing way up, my manager ignored my calls for help over the PA system for 10 - 15 minutes. When he finally arrived he screamed at me in front of everyone for calling him.

Now lets talk about these people You Pay so I can earn my paycheck. The law states (or it did then where I lived) that they only have to give full time employees benefits. You must work 40 hours per week for four consecutive weeks to be considered full time. So, I was scheduled 40 hours for 3 weeks. The 4th week I was scheduled 39.5 hours. I always came in to work when they were in a jam. Then when I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed I called in. Well, I was written up because when they called me back to tell me I had to come in, because no one would come in to work, I didn't answer the phone. The people that you pay That Pay My Pay Check didn't bother to tell us of sales and promotions and other things we needed to know to help customers. They would change things on the registers and not tell us, they would do price changes early, oh it never ended. So you are screaming at me for crap I had no control over.

To the person who said CS reps are paid to be professional. Are you kidding me? I too was in management for years. I have a strong work ethic as I was raised with people that owned many, many of their own businesses. Min. wage without benefits is not Professional Pay. I didn't tolerate nonsense from my employees but I certainly understood and stood up for my employees because I know how obnoxious customers are.,

You are one single person. Next time your royal Prince or Princess butt starts to clench because you aren't treated as royalty, remember all that I typed. Remember that the employee that you are dealing with goes through all of that at least 2 times per 4 hour shift, every single shift. Unclench and have some compassion. Remember, you are not the beginning and end in this persons life. Give them a break. Realize and consider, just maybe, they have been treated like garbage all day and are just as deserving of some slack as your royal butt is.

Think before you say "Get another job if it's so bad." That's ignorant. It isn't that simple for everyone. Educate yourself about the reality of our economy before you make statements like that.

FYI. I don't do customer service jobs anymore because the pay is garbage. I am sick of holding your hand throughout the store to help you shop for things you buy every week. I don't care if you found everything you need. I don't care if you ever come back. I don't care if you have a nice day. In fact...............Go take a flying leap.

Wow this thread has become really something!

Customer Service is something that is rare nowadays but it is a lot because people expect everything! There is no longer common sense. If we wait too long we complain, if we don't get the answer we want, we complain...sometimes we complain about how we complained.

Back to the op question tho...

I think this original issue was more because the op had limited time in the first place. Obviously the best solution would have been to point out the sign while in the store, not call later. When you call back, the sign could have been removed and then it wouldn't be relevant or applicable to a caller.

Yes it was rude of her to say a version of "freaking" but it wasn't direct to you as obviously the person wasn't smart enough to hang up the phone first so I certainly would not have thought a second thought about this.

What you explained tho about the sale made perfect sense...you asked if such a sale existed and they didn't think so...then you asked if it would apply to something you previously bought and they answered it appropriately.

Sometimes we just have to let things go. This CS rep didn't tell you to "freak" off. They just were frustrated and confused by your admission and didn't use the best judgement...however I bet they were under the age of 25 too.