Small, Cheap, Efficient Fan

Just got a new setup for my rig and while it saves a lot of space, it doesn't help the temps at all. In addition to looking for a new large case fan, I'm also looking for one of those fans that just stand on their own and have a few different speed settings. I'm not really sure where to look for something like this, but any other suggestions for keeping the computer cool are welcome as well.

My plan is to just put said small fan behind the case to add to the airflow (currently there is none from the back, only from the side).

Edit: I'm looking at this fan for the case, but I'm curious; will putting a fan behind that mess up that fan (see diagram below if confused)? Because they won't be running at the same speeds most likely and it may actually not help to do it this way.

Diagram:

FAN -->

FAN --> CASE FAN -->

FAN --> CASE FAN -->

FAN -->

Just got a new setup for my rig and while it saves a lot of space, it doesn't help the temps at all. In addition to looking for a new large case fan, I'm also looking for one of those fans that just stand on their own and have a few different speed settings. I'm not really sure where to look for something like this, but any other suggestions for keeping the computer cool are welcome as well.

My plan is to just put said small fan behind the case to add to the airflow (currently there is none from the back, only from the side).

Which case is it?

Placing a normal fan behind the case probably won't do much. Actually, it may interfere with your normal airflow through the case.

Which case is it?

Placing a normal fan behind the case probably won't do much. Actually, it may interfere with your normal airflow through the case.

You beat me to it before I finished my edit. Stupid diagram.

I have a TurboCase X-Dreamer II, but the problem is that in the little slot in my desk for the case, there's not enough room for the airflow from the side to be sufficient enough to cool the system well.

Diagram:

FAN -->

FAN --> CASE FAN -->

FAN --> CASE FAN -->

FAN -->

So you have your rear case fans blowing "in" to the case?

That particular case would have to be modded to take a 120mm fan.

The best solution would be...

(looking from the left side of case)

-----------------------------

<-- PSU FAN

<-- CASE FAN

<-- CASE FAN

Panel Fan Blowing in

_______________<--CASE FAN

Cool air comes in the bottom and out the top. Now that is a lot of fans, but if you go with some low speen panaflow fans, it should be fairly quiet. You could also go with an inexpensive fan controller and only turn the fans up when needed.

If you set it up properly, you shouldn't need an external fan to help you cool.

So you have your rear case fans blowing "in" to the case?

That particular case would have to be modded to take a 120mm fan.

The best solution would be...

(looking from the left side of case)

<-- PSU FAN

<-- CASE FAN

<-- CASE FAN

Panel Fan Blowing in

Cool air comes in the bottom and out the top. Now that is a lot of fans, but if you go with some low speen panaflow fans, it should be fairly quiet. You could also go with an inexpensive fan controller and only turn the fans up when needed.

If you set it up properly, you shouldn't need an external fan to help you cool.

Well, the fan in the acrylic window blows in and the fan on top is the exhaust, so it's already partially set up. I thought 120mm fans were the big ones? I don't know a whole lot about case fans as it's never really been an issue.

All I know is that I have a large space in the back for a fan rather than the normal standard size.

Well, the fan in the acrylic window blows in and the fan on top is the exhaust, so it's already partially set up. I thought 120mm fans were the big ones? I don't know a whole lot about case fans as it's never really been an issue.

All I know is that I have a large space in the back for a fan rather than the normal standard size.

hmmm...

Do you have a link to the "actual" case that you have?

The one that I looked at had 2x80mm fan positions in the front and rear. Yours could be slightly different though.

What size fan is this (for Socket370) ? I need to replace one, and I don't have an idea what to get. Suggestions?

http://www.tadachi-net.com/desktop_pc/bki810/v33/images/v33_480/0005.jpg

It goes into this board (BKi810).

http://www.tadachi-net.com/desktop_pc/bki810/v33/images/v33_480/0021.jpg

hmmm...

Do you have a link to the "actual" case that you have?

The one that I looked at had 2x80mm fan positions in the front and rear. Yours could be slightly different though.

Didn't check this thread for a while, anyways, I have a fan from an old G3 and it fits perfectly in the fan slot in the back. only problem is that my PSU doesn't have the right cable for it (since it's a Mac fan and Mac has to be so damn proprietary).

Look at this pic to see the slot I'm talking about filling. What size fan is that?

exact sizes aren't listed, but that looks like

1 120mm fan in the back (exhaust)

2 80mm fans in the front (intake)

I would suggest getting at least one 80mm for the front, and then the 120 for the back.

My diagram above still holds true, but there is just one fan and the PSU for exhaust.

edit:

After looking at it again, it appears that case hase holes for 80, 92, and 120mm fans in the back. I would suggest the 120 for the best performance.

Okay, thanks a lot for the help. I'll probably get 2 80s for the front and a 120 for the back. Should I change the top from being exhaust to intake or not?

The top should be an exhaust...

Warm air rises...

So you pull in the coolest air from the front at the bottom, and exhaust it at the top of the case with the 120 and the PSU.

If you make the 120, 80s, and side panels all intakes, you will create a positive pressure inside the case, and the PSU fan will not be able to properly exhaust the hot air.

The top should be an exhaust...

Warm air rises...

So you pull in the coolest air from the front at the bottom, and exhaust it at the top of the case with the 120 and the PSU.

If you make the 120, 80s, and side panels all intakes, you will create a positive pressure inside the case, and the PSU fan will not be able to properly exhaust the hot air.

Oh I would never make them all intakes, I was just debating whether or not to make the top one an intake and have the back fan be the only exhaust. It's funny, I know that heat rises, but I never thought to apply it to computers. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: Forgot to ask, 120x25 or 120x38? I have no idea.

Oh I would never make them all intakes, I was just debating whether or not to make the top one an intake and have the back fan be the only exhaust. It's funny, I know that heat rises, but I never thought to apply it to computers. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: Forgot to ask, 120x25 or 120x38? I have no idea.

120x25 is the standard size.

I like Panaflow L1A fans the best. They are quiet but still move a decent amount of air.

Some less expensive fans can be rather annoying.