going to a Directv.. any hidden promos?

turtle*

Well talked it over with parents are we all decided to get directv. We have basic digital cable with no premium channels thru comcast and are paying about 45$. Directv seems to have a $20 off for 12 months promo going on now and their normal price for tv is 54.99 and then it seems like starz is a good movie channel to add on.. either that or HBO for $12.99 and box leasing fees are $15 for 3 extra boxes.

all in all its about $75 bucks without the 20$ per month promo which is good in my eyes due to the fact that we are paying $45 bucks now for next to nothing. We dont have any HD-TV's or any real need for DVRs. Now are they any more hidden promo's on can ask for. I've heard they give you switching promos when you drop comcast and go dish or was that fliped around. :eyepoppin

i was thinking maybe some type of speical discount like i know DSL thru bestbuy you get a $150 GC if you buy a PC. something like those things might come in handy.

i just looked it up.. i'll be tagged with a 18 month agreement. Free dish, I can get ONE free DVR but then again i think i would need to sign up for service to be able to use it. They are also giving all the movie channels free for the first 3 months.

So i mean it seems loaded or somewhat loaded. X-mas is nearing so i figure there would be more offers now then any other time.

dish network... eh... the contract honestly doesn't bother much. I do have the fear of chicago's winter/wind messing things up. Hence i never got a dish of any sort. But it seems like $10 more and we have a LOT more selection. I'll have to look up Dish network and compare. I always thought dish network and direct-TV are the same people in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...

So i'm jumping on that choice extra programing

Free install/ delievery

200 channels w/ 3 months of free prem. channels for $35/ 12 months then $55/6 months. 18 month contract. 4 free recievers, $5 extra month per box rental.

I'll be most likely doing this over the phone. So first person to PM with the referral information. I assume promo number code, gets the $50 for us both.

Have an installer come out first and make sure you won't have problems with the satellite equipment. We have Dish and the sat is on our roof...very small and hidden. Tried to switch to Direct and theirs is much larger...cannot go on roof. Also, because of trees they wanted to put it in the front yard...yeah right! Also, for HD they needed site lines to 5 satellites...again needed front yard. But they do havae the most HD channels. May have to cut some trees...lol. Good luck!

I just got dish network last month. I am confused about the HD programming. I received 6/mo free but am wondering what exactly it is? It lists all these weird channels that you get in HD but I'm wondering what happens when you don't have HD programming. Do you not get any channel at all in HD even if it is broadcast in HD?? Like local channels that broadcast some shows in HD, will I not get them in true HD if I don't have HD programming? All this hd stuff is so confusing.

I just got dish network last month. I am confused about the HD programming. I received 6/mo free but am wondering what exactly it is? It lists all these weird channels that you get in HD but I'm wondering what happens when you don't have HD programming. Do you not get any channel at all in HD even if it is broadcast in HD?? Like local channels that broadcast some shows in HD, will I not get them in true HD if I don't have HD programming? All this hd stuff is so confusing.

on the HD only channels, they'll come in blank. you won't see or hear anything if you didn't have HD. i found this out the hard way when the fiance accidentally ordered a UFC fight in HD and we were wondering why the heck there was nothing on the TV.

for the local channels, one of the news stations says they broadcast in HD. since i don't have an HD TV or pay for HD programming, i think the picture just looks clearer, but that's about it. OTA channels you just won't be able to pick up the HD feed.

at my parent's house, they have HD programming, so for example, if there's a football game on FOX and they have it on HD, i have to actually change the channels over to the HD stations in order to watch the game in HD. otherwise, it broadcasts normally on the regular channels. if you don't have HD programming, you wouldn't even have that option.

my parents have comcast, no dish over there.

Have an installer come out first and make sure you won't have problems with the satellite equipment. We have Dish and the sat is on our roof...very small and hidden. Tried to switch to Direct and theirs is much larger...cannot go on roof. Also, because of trees they wanted to put it in the front yard...yeah right! Also, for HD they needed site lines to 5 satellites...again needed front yard. But they do havae the most HD channels. May have to cut some trees...lol. Good luck!

do i just call and they come out for free? I have a direct TV or DISH network dish in the rear. I've looked on my block and everyone has sats pointing toward the rear of my house. Some have them placed on the garage. but I have one mounted on the wall from the previous owner.