No Ad in Todays Paper?

Livin4Real

Maybe I can shed some light on this issue.

My work requires I get going before 4 am. I've made a deal with my local newspaper distributor allowing me to stop by the station where all of the carriers pick up their newspapers for home delivery. The running gag is I have the smallest route of any of those guys delivering 200 or 300 papers every morning.

On all Sundays and half of the weekdays there are delivered to the distribution center seperate bundles of "INSERTS" for different retail ads. Most Sundays, this is maybe six or seven different items that must be assembled by your individual carrier prior to home delivery. This is why store bought papers are often shorted those "INSERTS".

Several days prior to THANKSGIVING DAY, pallets of sale inserts are delivered in advance to those distribution centers and it isn't uncommon for those pallets of sale inserts to be opened. This is where I get my advance copies of those inserts. Maybe I got YOURS?

If the count of inserts is too close to the count of actual papers delivered, it's not hard to see how some papers could be shorted some individual inserts. It's also possible that your distribution center was omitted from a retailer's coverage. For example, I live 7 miles from a Walmart, so Walmart ads are not distributed to my paper carrier's distribution point. My parents' paper always has a Walmart ad, but no Circuit City nearby, so no CC ad.

This assembly of the Thanksgiving paper is a huge job requiring three or four times as many trips as a normal Thurs. paper.

While unseen, the paper carrier does a more valuable service than the average waiter at a fancy restaurant. And we all know what that waiter depends on.

I never have a problem getting advance ads.

I was missing CC, Gamestop, and TRU. We are 45 minutes away from the town that has them, but they are always in the Sunday paper. I went to the store and went through every one, nothing. Those 3 were the ones I needed to PM.

Last year, Target was the only one I needed, and it was the only one I didn't get.

Friends that live in the city got them all, many were duplicates!