Navigon 2100

amykay9377

Either I am blind as a bat and cannot find this on any of the pages we have the scans for or it is on the mysterious Back Page.

Can anyone tell me if the Navigon 2100 is a flat $99.99 or if there is some mail in/easy rebate? I hate those, and since money is tight this year, I wouldn't be able to afford something that is $199.99 with a $100 rebate (as an example). In-Store rebates, of course, are instant and those don't count.

Thanks! I am trying to figure out HOW I am going to work doing Wal-Mart at 5am and then Staples at 6! :g_think: I will be checking OL for both stores, though.

I just came back from Staples and while I was there I checked out the Navigon 2100 because I was also interested in this unit. To tell you the truth I think I will pass on this one. I thought there was a very sluggish response time from pressing any button on the unit, until it actually did something. I also tried the Garmins and TomTom's and the difference was very noticeable, on both of these units the response time was almost instantaneous. I played the demo mode in the Navigon and even that was choppy. I was really trying to convince myself to still get it on BF but the more I played with it the more I was disappointed.

Navigon..press button, wait..press button, wait.

Garmin & TomTom..press button, bam screen, press button, bam screen.

I also thought the screen was not as sharp or bright as the others and yes I did try to adjust the settings. I just knew that the response time would really tick me off when using it.

So please keep in mind that this was just my own opinion and I am in no way associated with any of the gps manufacturers or staples. I think if you are seriously considering this unit that you take a ride to the store and check it out yourself. I think I will go for the TomTom myself.

Thanks for the personal review as well as the Review link.

I just checked out the Wal-Mart add and see that they have an (older) Garmin--my husband works at Evil Wal-Mart, so we get a discount, so I will probably just pick that one up and save running across town to Staples.

Basically, as long as the GPS can give me directions better than my husband can, I don't care what the brand is--it has to be under $150 though!

Keep in mind that TMC (traffic updates) are only available in like 70 cities so check to see if yours is on there first if you are interested in this unit.

Here's a link of the cities that the traffic works in, many major cities aren't included, but hopefully the database will build throughout the units lifetime :crossfing

http://www.navigon.com/static/navigon_usa/products/traffic.html

Keep in mind that TMC (traffic updates) are only available in like 70 cities so check to see if yours is on there first if you are interested in this unit.

Here's a link of the cities that the traffic works in, many major cities aren't included, but hopefully the database will build throughout the units lifetime :crossfing

http://www.navigon.com/static/navigon_usa/products/traffic.html

Yup, currently 68 cities and their surrounding areas: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showpost.php?p=973420&postcount=171

I posted this in another thread too, but thought it should be repeated here...if you ordered one online, if I were you I'd check the status, as I'd gotten a printed confirmed order too. I was online and ordered at 4AM MST (6AM EST)...

My earlier elation over getting the Navigon 2100 online at Staples appears to be premature. Got home and decided to see if they had updated my delivery date, and saw that the order total was $0.00. Called to ask "WTH" and was politely told that they were sold out and sorry. I explained that I had a copy of my order confirmation, and that I'd gotten a preliminary ship date of 11/30 but to no avail. "Sorry..."

So sent then a very "not so nice" email telling them that if I thought that was going to happen, I would have been at a B&M to get one. In fact, the reason I didn't go to Staples until later was driven by the fact that nothing else I wanted was an earlybird. I did leave them the option open to satisfy me by offering a 5100 for a comparable discount.

Tried to order two,1 got cancelled.

my order appeard to go through at 6:00 am also, but i got home from work to the

"sorry out of stock when your order was processed" email.

i probably could've gotten one at my local store. last time i waited in line at that store, there was only a handful of people waiting, but i figured if i could just order it online, why get up & go out in the cold! :(

First off: There is a great review and message board about the Navigon 2100.

at

terrywhite.com/techblog/?p=377

After reading it, I am so pleased at my good fortune this morning.

I live in Fort Worth, and I was able to get two this morning! I was at Wal-Mart for other things and arrived at Staples at 5:20 CST. I had my laptop, and Staples is a WiFi Hot Spot. I tried to order one online, and they were sold out. I immediately got into line, about number 15. “I bonded” with those strangers around me, and we decided to help each other out. When we entered the store, we were misdirected several times by several different employees. Finally one guy in our group found them and we all rushed to get in a new line.The units were in the back room and were brought out to us. All of our group managed to get one, despite the initial chaos in the store finding them and there only being 11.

I then headed out to my next stop, disappointed that I could not order another one so both my husband and I could have one. I then tried the Radio Shack website- no sale price there, despite the $149 in-store sale as RS. I called the RS 800 number and the CS agent said the sale price was only good in stores.

By then I was driving to my next destination, so I asked if she could tell me the nearest RS to me. By now it was probably close to 6:30 a.m., and RS had been open for a long time. I just guessed the closest Zip Code to me at the time and got the store phone number. I was luck enough to get a RS in a location close to downtown which no one every thinks about for BF shopping. The manager answered the phone. He had two and would hold one for me. (At that point, paying $50 more was not a big deal, because the price was still a great deal. The manager told me someone already came in with the Staples ad, but he would not price -match.) To prove to him I wanted it, I offered and did the purchase over the phone with my CC. The only thing he asked was that I “look around the store when ( I ) come in.” I did, and ended up with several more deals, including great stuff I had overlooked in the ad. Because of the low volume at this store, they had everything. The staff were even talking about how many thousands of dollars in sales another nearby RS had done, and how they were lagging. After my experience with this RS location, I will do ALL of my RS shopping there. We have a ton of RS stores here in FtW because it is RS headquarters.

I am already thinking of ways to change my BF strategy for next year becuase of this success!

My Staples was terrible.....I got there at 5 AM, then their manager walked down the line giving out flyers. I asked him if there were sufficient Navigon for where I was on line (About 30th back), and he told me YES......Only to find out about 30 mins later that they only gave out 10 tickets.... I was pissed off and left......I called Radio Shack on Sat. locally, and he told me that if I came in, they would substitute the Navigon 5100 for the 2100 price of $149, which they did and I will get it in a week or so.