Heated blankets or Electric Fireplace?

My house is freezing despite having the heat set to 76 degrees and putting plastic over all the windows...my house is over 30yrs old and I just lose heat everywhere no matter what I seem to do...so i'm looking for a great deal on heated blankets or even affordable electric fireplaces for us to try not to turn into popsicles this winter...HELP!!!

My house is 100 yrs old and we have our insulated windows in only the top half of the house so far, so downstairs we are FREEZING. I bought a down blanket for each of my kids beds and one for me and my husband, I didnt want my kids having an electric blanket cause I am a worry freak. My kids LOVE their down blankets and they are really warm. I wish someone would have told me LAST winter. They are awesome.

I got a free down comforter with the purchase of our overpriced mattress last year. I finally took it out of the box this year after I found a duvet for it. HOLY CRAP that thing is warm! I use that and just a sheet. I ended up removing the blanket I had under it not knowing how warm it was going to keep me.

One thing I purchased soon after I moved here from Florida is a heated mattress pad, I LOVE IT. I have recommended them to many people and they all love them too. Turn it on 30 minutes before you hop in bed, oh my! They typically go on clearance at the end of the season and that is a good time to pick them up...The heated mattress pads can be expensive depending on what you pick too. I think I got mine at Kohls and it was less than $50 for a queen size (not clearance, sale), but I have seen them for less than $20 (twin) at Target on clearance. They also make good xmas gifts to receive (or give I guess).

your heater may not be big enough for your house, have you had any sqf added?

all your vents open? Have you checked your filter to make sure its not completely clogged?

At 76 degrees your house should be fine even with a window open, Theres no way your house can lose heat that quickly, so its something with the heating system itself.

Also with your thermostat at 76 degrees your going to have $300-$500 bills monthly

Do you have access to propane heat? Our house had baseboard heat when we bought it. man it was so cold. We put a heatpump upstairs and added gas logs,a wall mount plaque heater and a old timey looking cast iron stove to the downstairs. it makes all the difference. Plus if the power goes we can still use the propane heat but of course the blowers don't work but we won't freeze. The propane with run you out sometimes. The cast Iron stove is in our BR on my side and it has a thermostat that kicks it on and off.

Checked the filter (clean), vents (open), sealed the window with plastic...heater has been checked, havent added any sqf to my house...still cold at 76...and yes, i realize the upcoming cost...thus the request for a good price for an electric fireplace or heated blanket :rolleyes:

Is your attic or upper crawlspace insulated? Can you tell where cold air is coming in? You may need to do some caulking...although it may be too cold this year already....

I use a little plug in fireplace. I just warm up the bedroom before I go to bed and then turn it off.

We can't use a down comforter because both my daughter and I are allergic (i know right)...so i'm looking for something warm but hypoallergenic.

Check out QVC, the Northern Nights down comforters are hypercleaned which makes them virtually allergen free and they are super warm.

We have an electric fireplace from Menards, they are having them on sale on BF if you have a Menards near you.

Not sure where you are but quite frequently Shopko has their electric blankets 50% off. We have the same problems you do...VERY cold house in winter. Last year we went the route of an electric blanket for each bed. BEST thing we bought...they automatically shut off after so many hours. We all love them.

I would get one of those heated wraps so wherever you are, your body is wrapped in warmth. With a heating source, you are trying to heat the entire space and heat rises, so it will run all the time, and probably be going right out the roof or competing with wind leaking in the windows, etc. I am always cold; our last house wasn't insulated well so I would wear a hat indoors and walk around in a blanket all the time (over my flannel lined pants and double sweatshirts). I hear ya; you can't fix it all right now, you just want to be warm while you figure that part out!

Here are a couple from JCP: check regular and online. I couldn't find the one I was thinking of, but this is the idea. Maybe target has them. http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=1324e15&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=heated+throw&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=120631e&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=blanket&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True&S4Filter=N%7c4294966775%7cNtt%7cblanket%7cNtk%7csearch_all%7cNao%7c0%7cNty%7c1%7csid%7c116529A1772E%7cNtx%7cmode%2bmatchallpartial%7cNtpr%7c1%7cNtpc%7c1%7cFN4294966775%7cblankets+%2b+throws

Not the one I was thinking of, but prettier patterns: http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=120631e&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=blanket&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True&S4Filter=N%7c4294966775%7cNtt%7cblanket%7cNtk%7csearch_all%7cNao%7c0%7cNty%7c1%7csid%7c116529A1772E%7cNtx%7cmode%2bmatchallpartial%7cNtpr%7c1%7cNtpc%7c1%7cFN4294966775%7cblankets+%2b+throws

You might also contact your energy provider or local energy company; sometimes they will come out and do an analysis of your house and tell you where the heat is leaking and where the quickest fix would be. Or have your furnace checked. Do you have a separate thermometer to tell you actual room temp? I know even in my newer house, air still leaks in and it feels cool, but not like you're describing. I put towels in and around my windows, insulated curtains, all that. You don't want a completely airtight house though, of course. My husband has his office in our unfinished basement. I got him an overhead heater/light. This way he has an overhead light any time and clicks on the heater part for the winter; it has two settings. Sometimes I'll go down and there and tease him about being on vacation in the tropics! They were designed for garages I think; it came from either Meijer or Lowes and was about $60. I think it is still cheaper than trying to heat the whole basement because the cement walls and floor would suck up all the heat. That just an added idea; it wouldn't really work for your living room!

ah, I was really excited, the $199 electric fireplace I liked at Walmart came back into stock so I grabbed one ($210.94 after tax)...they are shipping it to my local store...hopefully i'll be able to fit it into my car and take it into my house to assemble! (i have a mazda protogee 4-door).

We put an electric fireplace in our bedroom 2 winters ago, this will be our 3rd with it. I have to say it has been wonderful! Our home is a multi level home and every level is a different temp depending on time of day. We also have all wood floors, so nothing to really keep the heat up. Our bedroom is on the north-west corner, where the wind just howls. So we put the fireplace there. It generates lots of heat and keeps our room at least 5-10 degrees warmer than other areas of the house. I would love to have one in our family room too, but there is just not an extra ounce of space.

Inga

I just bought 2 of the Sunbeam heated throws for my girls. They love them. They were less than $30 each at Costco. I think I will get one for myself. They are small enough that you can move them from bedroom to family room, etc. After going through our hottest summer on record with my own record breaking hot flashes, I am enjoying the cooler weather. I finally turned on the heat when we got to about 55 in the house....