PSP or DS for 8-year old boy?

nesloc

Id say ds. Its much more durable and forgiving and it fits better in your pocket. also there are far more games out there and they're cheaper new. unless of course he is after movies or music and games then id suggest the psp. It all depends on what games he likes the most. pokemon, mario, sonic etc are on the ds... plus it plays the game boy advance games so it has a HUUUUGE library.

I just bought DS who is almost 5 the DS mainly because of the child friendly games. Also the manager of GameStop told me it was the most durable. He said they have one on display somewhere (forgot where) that has gone to iraq and went through some kind of explosion and still worked! Dont know if its true or not but thats what he said.

DS. (PSP is much better-But I unfortunately realized first hand that the psp is an actual cpu setup, able to have it's contents 'corrupted/formatted in young hands a little too easily=an software upgrade we didn't need got put on it, and I have'nt been able to remove it).

Get the DS, fairly rugged, plus alot more 8 yr old friendly games.

We have one of each. My 9yo daughter has the DS and my 7yo son has the PSP. Now they saved up their own money to buy them so maybe that has something to do with how they take care of them but they are both good for their own reasons.

PSP... has a built in memory slot so you can put demos, music, movies, or anything like that on it. Good graphics, easy to use, good back light for night time.

DS has the 2 screens but no memory slot and the graphics are not as good. With the DS you can get the Games and Music cartridge from Walmart for $20 and then you can put things on the memory card that comes with the cartridge. There are a lot of home brew games plus emulators for other game systems. We have a Pokemon game for the regular game boy that won't fit into the gb slot on the DS so I got a gameboy emulator called lameboy and downloaded the rom for the Pokemon game so that my daughter could play it. Keep in mind that this is only legal because we actully own the game that the rom came from. I would never condone downloading the roms that are out there for every game boy game ever made and putting it on the DS.

So a lot depends on the games you want to play. Both kids the LocoRoco demos for the PSP so that is one of the games my son is getting for Christmas. If you want good quality racing, fighting, or adventure games the PSP is the way to go. If you want things like being able to load the drawing programs to use with the stylis then you want the DS with Games and Music or a similar memory cartridge.

One other thing. The kids love watching movies on the PSP when we are in the car and they are tired of playing games.

One last thing. The new PSP has a TV output jack so you can play the games on the TV when you are at home. At some point my son will probably end up with one of those and I will take his PSP.

Thank you! This is great info my DD was trying to decide which system to buy my 8 yr old DGD. She seems to do better with the stylist than the buttons when playing at the store. I am glad to hear it is durable because she will want to take it along with her.

Now, where do you find the best price? Think there will be any deals this week?

Yup...I vote DS also, my DD has had hers for 2 years (she was 7 when she got it) she has a case and a large variety of games, and takes it EVERYWHERE!!! BTW: my DD and ALL her friends ADORE the Nintendogs, so if you see a deal grab one of those too.

Santa brought a DS for my DS9 last year (when she was 8). She LOVES it (and so do I). Like everyone says it's very durable. My daughter takes it with her almost everywhere. And it plays GBA games too, so you can find cheap games everywhere (although the graphics are better on the DS games). I find GBA and DS games on sale a lot. Plus they come out with new titles and drop the price on the old ones (I got last year's Hannah Montana DS game for $9.99 at TRU a couple weeks ago after they released the new one which is $29.99.) I also like to play her DS a lot because games like Brain Age and Uno and some other board games are fun to me. Even her grandma likes to play Brain Age on it, and my mother is NOT a gamer!

My 15yo nephew has a PSP which he loves, but when we visited last summer he played with my DD's DS a lot. He said he didn't have a lot of software b/c PSP titles are expensive. But he also uses the PSP to listen to music and videos he downloads off the net. I can't account for it's durability b/c my nephew is 15.

So I guess it all depends on what he's interested in. If he likes graphics and wants to be able to watch movies, go with the PSP. If he just wants to be able to play a lot of games (and you want to enjoy it too) go with the DS.

I know this isn't much help, but it's all I've got. LOL

• 2 weeks later...