leapster vs vsmile pocket?

Just Me

Anyone have any thoughts? My 7 year old is getting a gameboy SP from santa. Now I know my 4 year old will have a cow if she doesn't get a handheld to. Then try to steap the gameboy. Well any parent here knows how that will play out lol. I want to get my 4 year old a handheld but know nothing about the leapster. I was leaning towards the Vsmile just b ecause we have the system already meaning we have a bunch of games already. Leapster with the stlus looked cool though. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions

I have had both. My v smile pocket quit working 4 months after we got it, of course, 90 day warranty was up, and tech support was no help. Then got a leapster with stylus.

Leapster has been great, we got it last year for xmas and my 4yo still plays with it every other day. If you watch Target's clearance you can get the games for cheap. The stylus pen is nice, and it seems to be the 'in' thing, pus it's attached, so you can't lose it......I'm likin' the leapster much better.....

just my 2cents

I'd go with the leapster. Her sister would be getting a system with new games neither of them have played yet and she would like the same experience. There are A LOT of games appropriate for pre-K even for leapster. My 2 year old steals my 6 year olds all the time just to do the drawing games. I think at 2 she's more technologically capable than her grandmother about some things LOL.

Anyways, kids love the Leapster, you can get great clearance deals on games. Toys R Us is still having their Big Toy Book sale on games; many are $15. Use rechargable batteries or see if you can get the docking station on clearance. It definately helps, esp on trips. Check the Target toy clearance in Jan for more games and stock up for her birthday. :) I bought some for under $5 last year.

I have both. Got the Leapster for DD6 (5 at the time). Already had the v.smile console, so bought the pocket at Target for 75% this summer for DD4. Even though they play with both. The leapster gets lots more attention from both DD's. Even DS8 likes to play Leapster. He'll trade them his GB SP and they have to beg him for the Leapster back.

I have 4 leapsters in my house and have owned 6! I am a leapster advocate and should be thier sales rep! lol

We owned the V-smile for all of 2hrs. The joystick (cross button that you use to move the "player") if VERY SMALL and it was hard for even ME and MY HUSBAND to get it to go the direction we wanted it to go! I had bought it for my 3y/o because his sister already owned all the games from the TV plug and play system.

From my expericence with my kids, my daycare kids and all their friends the Leapster games are more entertaining and not so blantantly educational, which is great because your kids do even know they are learning and playing doesn't seem like a chore (what kids wants to come home from school and sit and a LESSON?!) The graphics and movements are much better on the Leapster also. My middle daughter is 6 and she calls her Lmax her "gameboy" she doesn't know the difference. She THINKS it is a gaming system not a learning toy.

Also it seems like while Leapster keeps growing and pushing more games with more titles, Vsmile has stalled...My kids just got the Ratatoille and Cartoon Networks Imaginary Friends games for Leapster!

I would recommend ordering the rechargable battery and charger. If you cannot find one call Leapster they are THE BEST *they sent me 2 rechargable batteries FREE because I called saying I owned 6 and already owned 2 chargers (one for the old style and one for the new style) and ony needed BATTERIES not charging systems and they sent them FREE! Now I am NOT saying they'll send YOU one free but it is nice to know you can get parts and service from the company directly!

HTH you some!

I have both. Got the Leapster for DD6 (5 at the time). Already had the v.smile console, so bought the pocket at Target for 75% this summer for DD4. Even though they play with both. The leapster gets lots more attention from both DD's. Even DS8 likes to play Leapster. He'll trade them his GB SP and they have to beg him for the Leapster back.

lol My DS is 9 and does they same thing, he trades his 4 year old brother even his DS for his Leapster!! Toooooo funny!

I am so glad I saw this thread. I just found out my DGD is having trouble with her reading in school and I would like to get her an educational toy for christmas but still wanted her to feel like it was a nice christmas gift. She got the vtech a few years ago the one that plugs into the tv and all she wants is a computer, she's only 6. If I get her the leapster can anyone suggest an educational cartridge geared toward helping in reading or can anyone recommend a toy laptop for a 6 year old?

TIA

Leapster rocks. I recommend NOT getting the LMax Leapster because it's quite a bit more money, and after the thrill of seeing what they do on TV wears off, it's not gonna be used much at all (at least not in my house, and my kid loves TV). We should've just gotten the plain-vanilla Leapster.

That said, we love it. Educational reading game that's perfect for your daughter, Rennakay, is "Letters on the Loose" -- excellent one. (Numbers on the Run is also great, but not reading-centered). And Mr. Pencil is pretty good also.

Heck, they're all great!

Leapster games come in different "Categories" I'd guess you'd say ANY game that focuses on Phonics is going to be great for reading. They have ones that focus on Match, Science, Art. They also do certain GRADE levels. My kids have the Kindergarten as well as the 1st grade editions.

Each game tells you right on the box what things your child will be learning while playing. I actually just picked up an older geared one in Math for my DS that is struggleing a bit with learning his multiplication facts!

Oh, and I don't know about the V-Smile, but our Leapster has taken a MAJOR battering from the 2YO who constantly grabs it from his sister. He's dropped it, spilled water on it, dragged it along by the stylus cord, scribbled with Crayon on it... and it still works fine.

Tip on the cartridges -- Every now and then one will seem to not work and you just get a ? on the screen. Take out the cartridge, lick the little circuit board inside (run your tongue along the edge of the opening -- not too gross, really!) -- and pop it back in. Works every time!

The user reviews at tru last year were bad for the v-smile pocket. My DD7 her dad got her the v-smile pocket for christmas and it quit working the next day. now the v-smile console has worked great for several years and she finally outgrew it. i am about to toss the vsmile out since i have no use for it any longer she has moved on to the gameboy!!!

Was just looking at Kmart flyer for next Sun-Wednesday and saw this:

All Leapster and L-Max software

monday only

BUY ONE GET ONE FREE*

This offer is not yet available

Nov 18 - 21

So preview the Kmart flyer and see if this is something you might be interested in -- of course noting that Kmart doesn't always have the best reputation in stocking stuff! LOL

Thank you all so much, it will making my shopping sooo much easier and faster now that I know which leapster games to be on the look out for. I was wondering if I purchased the plain ? leapster will the lmax cartridges work with it or will I have to look for ones without the lmax on the boxes. I took a peak at the price yesterday and yikes, after all I already got my grandbabies and still have the smart cycle and cartridges to buy I'm sure I'm gearing towards the cheaper leapster.

You all are just great, thanks again.

I 100% agree with the leapster. We have the 1st edition that came out, and it still works great. It is on its 3rd kit at the moment, and all 3 play with it still. My kids LOVE the games, and like PP said...tehy can take a licking for sure. Best $100 I ever spent on a game (yes...they were that much when they came out lol).

Was just looking at Kmart flyer for next Sun-Wednesday and saw this:

All Leapster and L-Max software

monday only

BUY ONE GET ONE FREE*

This offer is not yet available

Nov 18 - 21

So preview the Kmart flyer and see if this is something you might be interested in -- of course noting that Kmart doesn't always have the best reputation in stocking stuff! LOL

oh cool thanks. Only game I see that makes me wonder if I should get the L max vs reg is letters on the loose. Any thoughts? For those with no Kmart amazon.com had $15 off wyb 2 leapster games. Be sure they are ones shipped by amazon not target or something. discount comes of at checkout and comes off after you qualify for free shipping :)

The only reason my son has the LMax and not the regular Leapster is that I found the LMax on clearance for 60% off packaged with 2 games. He HARDLY uses the cables to connect to the TV. If you can get a good deal on the LMax I'd get that just for the little extra fun LOL. Doesn't make that big of a difference.

Kohls has a good deal right now. If you go to www.kohls.com and search for leapster it says the LMAX is $79.99. but if you add it to your cart, it says $67.99. Earlier tonight it was saying it was $63.99.

If you have a Kohls card you can search gottadeal and get an extra 15% off and free shipping.

see, a deal like that is worth it to get the LMax. Earlier this evening it would have been $54 to get the LMax. When you compare that for getting the regular Leapster in store for $60, I'd buy the LMax and then wait until clearance sales to get the LMax games instead of the regular ones.

I decided to go with the leapster lmax. I found a great deal on the leapster games at kmart. In the clearance section they had lmax and regular leapster games marked $10 and $12. I know they are buy 1 get 1 tomorrow but I have to work and they will probably be gone by lunch hour. Thanks everyone for all the help, hopefully my granddaughter will get a lot of use from it. I found out she has the one that only hooks on the tv but she never seemed interested in it but my son said with it just being a handheld type system she will love it.

I 100% agree with the leapster. We have the 1st edition that came out, and it still works great. It is on its 3rd kit at the moment, and all 3 play with it still. My kids LOVE the games, and like PP said...tehy can take a licking for sure. Best $100 I ever spent on a game (yes...they were that much when they came out lol).

That is the same one we have I think we have had it at least 4 years and it is on the 3rd kiddo but my 9yo still finds new games coming out he wants for it. I will say to I bought a lmax games on clearance at walmart a few months ago and it works in the leapster, it has been dropped 100's of times and it still works great. I am definately going to take a look at Kmart this week to get a few new titles.

I bought Leapster for my son last year and he still plays with it almost daily! He's 9 years old and a lot of the games are FUN educational!

I would recommend splurging and buying the rechargable adapter...it's around $30 but totally worth it...we ran through batteries a lot until we got this, now I only have to charge it maybe once a month!

I think WM has a package deal right NOW with a leapster and a game for the regular price...

We've had both the Leapster & the V.Smile Pocket, and STRONGLY prefer the V.Smile. Our kids enjoy the games more, it plugs into the TV and can be used that way, and it is more durable. The Leapster barely got played with after the initial two or three weeks. They just didn't enjoy it as much.