Tires on sale for BF?

nick_jenni_jocelyn

I was looking over the Sears BF ad and it dawned on me at the end of the ad that tires might be on sale that day. I didnt see the size i needed (265/75/15) but it got me thinking..... does anyone else have tired on sale that day? we were thinking of going to WM, but with the size of tired that we need, i was hoping that we could come across a b3g1free deal.

• 2 weeks later...
for what its worth u will find new car dealers are usaully cheaper on tires than even tire rack is or is real close installed right now at ford dealers current employees and retirees get 15% off of list :eyepoppin also buy real tires ie michilin,uniroyal,bf goodrich,goodyear,general,continental all other tires are just cheap knock offs and wont last long spend the extra money and buy quality tires

also buy real tires ie michilin,uniroyal,bf goodrich,goodyear,general,continental all other tires are just cheap knock offs and wont last long spend the extra money and buy quality tires

Dang....I just ran out to one of my vehicles and told her her Falken tires were just cheap knockoffs and not real tires. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you need to broaden your horizons about tires. While you have a few of the name brands out there, you most certainly forgot a few other "real" tire brands that are very much "real" tires.......Yokohama, Avon, Toyo, Sumitomo, Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzler, Vredestein, Cooper, Firestone (mfg'd by Bridgestone).....even Hankook and Kuhmo are considered "real" tires by those who actually know. True, Hankook are manufactured, like a lot of tires now, overseas, and are sometimes old tech compared to some of the advanced designs from Bridgestone, Michelin, etc., but their reputation is pretty darned good for their price.

Now, if you are referring to what is known as "house brands" of tires, like Mastercraft, Dean, etc., there may be an argument to be made......possibly. But you have to consider who actually makes these "knockoffs" and "house brands". They certainly just don't appear out of thin air. Instead, they come from factories with names on them like.......Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental, etc.

Here are some "off-brands" and who really makes them:

Michelin: Cavalier, Medalist, Riken, Uniroyal

Bridgestone/Firestone: BFGoodrich, Caliente, Dayton, Fuzion, Gillette, Grenadier, LeMans, Peerless, Road King, Seiberling, Triumph, Winterforce

Continental: General, Semperit

Goodyear: Dunlop, Goodyear, Hallmark, Kelly-Springfield, Lee, Monarch, Pacemark, Republic, Star, Steelmark

Cooper: Avon, Cooper, Dean, Dick Cepek, Dominator, Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson, Starfire

Interesting list and not complete by any means. Now, there are some brands out there I wouldn't buy with your money, much less mine.....esp. any house brand sold by Pep Boys. On the other hand, the house brands from Sears are typically much more dependable.

So, there are more to consider than just that short list of yours. Lots of good tires out there.....and many made by someone other than the name listed on the sidewall. :)

So, there are more to consider than just that short list of yours. Lots of good tires out there.....and many made by someone other than the name listed on the sidewall. :)

The same can be said for grocery-store brand sodas, salad dressings, bread, etc. And blank DVDs at office supply stores... And drug-store brand batteries... etc., etc., etc.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Yes/highfive.gif

So those of you in the know...

Where does Falken fit in the "real" vs. "not real" tire debate?

We are in desperate need of 2 front tires and they are backordered until at least 11/19. Maybe I should just buy 4 of a different brand that would be in stock and get er done now. Shouldn't really wait until BF, but if 11/19 is the best I can do, what's a couple of days, huh?

So those of you in the know...

Where does Falken fit in the "real" vs. "not real" tire debate?

We are in desperate need of 2 front tires and they are backordered until at least 11/19. Maybe I should just buy 4 of a different brand that would be in stock and get er done now. Shouldn't really wait until BF, but if 11/19 is the best I can do, what's a couple of days, huh?

I would say that Falken is a second-tier tire company. Not as widely known as Goodyear or Michelin, but on par with Yokohama. And certainly ahead of "in-house" brands.

I bought Falken tires for the Nissan I had two cars ago -- they seemed to wear well -- no rollovers or blowouts! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/LOL/laughing.gif Did OK in the rain and snow too, which is a good thing for a performance tread.

Falken is probably best known for performance tires. They have a nice website: http://www.falkentire.com/main.htm.

I would say that Falken is a second-tier tire company. Not as widely known as Goodyear or Michelin, but on par with Yokohama. And certainly ahead of "in-house" brands.

I bought Falken tires for the Nissan I had two cars ago -- they seemed to wear well -- no rollovers or blowouts! Did OK in the rain and snow too, which is a good thing for a performance tread.

Falken is probably best known for performance tires.

Thanks. They were OEM on my conversion van, which ONLY has 18K miles in 3.5 years. Hate to buy 4 of a different brand when I can get away with 2 of the original, but waiting 2 weeks and only driving up to 35 mph until they come in is a PIA. Also weather getting ugly so have to only drive when necessary until they are replaced...did I say desparate??? Yep.

I'm not a "tire" kinda girl but learning a lot now. Really wish we had a more "mainstream" brand to improve chances of someone having them in stock in my size. Only 3 retailers in my area carry the brand according to the Falken website- Discount Tire, Sears, NTB. One of them could only get them for passenger cars.

If you find your size and print off tirerack's price with shipping, Sears will match it. I got V rated Michelin's for my Accord earlier this year but an H rated tire will be fine for a car/van and Bridgestone would have been my first choice if they had made my tire in a V rating.

So...if the steel is showing on my two front tires (it's AWD small SUV) and I drive 120 miles round-trip per day to work and there's a chance of snow on Friday, would y'all say I should buy tires tomorrow or wait until BF?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Here's what CR recommneded for performance All season tires:

Best for all weather conditions:

H-rated:

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred

I have a set of these on a Taurus...they are the best tires I have ever owned, great all around, especially in the snow.

Some of these manufacturers are the importer of record but not the builder EX:Goodyear-Steelmark but they are still knockoffs built in China. In my warehouse we carry Bridgestone, Firestone, Gillette, Fuzion, Dayton and Peerless all from Bridgestone. Continental and General from Continental. Carlisle has tires built in the same factories as cheaper imports but their quality is better, I carry both. Some import tires are quality products and come at a premium price. The best advice I can give is find a dealer you can trust and let them tell you the difference in several brands. The highest price is not always the best quality and the cheapest not the best value. Just to keep it on topic, I don't know many dealers that are even open on BF because everyone is shopping for TV's, WIIs, Elmo and stuff.

P.S. some tires are still made in the USA, just ask.