geotrax or thomas

My 4 year old son has both geotrax and the take along thomas sets. He hasn't touched the Geotrax since he got his Thomas sets. Of course,he has a lot of the Thomas DVDs and loves to play with the characters he sees in his movies.

I have to report that my sons, age 3 and 5, love all 3 types of Thomas trains/tracks WAY better than the Geotrax, which is now gathering dust in a box in my basement. But maybe the problem is that we have no room to set it up properly, whereas the Thomas stuff (esp the wooden sets) all fit onto the table we have...

we all (ds8,ds5,dd4,and dh) love geotrax. have been building our set for almost 3 years now, and still going. we love that they are easy to snap together, and stay connected even during heavy use. at this point we can build a track that circles the entire family room and play chicken with each other

I have both Geo Trax and Thomas sets. And my vote would be for Geo trax, they go together much easier and stay together, the Thomas motorized sets do not. Thomas is cute characters but in overall play time Geo Trax wins hands down. It is the one toy all three of my kids enjoy playing with everyday, they are 8, 4 almost, 3 almost. This summer the entire neighborhood would play in our yard building huge Geo Trax setups. The older kids making the structure and the younger ones playing trains and cars on it.

I would definitely vote for the wooden Thomas trains. Our Geotrax sets were used about 3 or 4 times and I never regretted getting rid of it, the Thomas has been used for years. I really prefer it to the plastic looking stuff and we just keep it out on a train table. You can easily just keep adding as much as you want.

We were trying to decide the same thing. We decided to go with a wooden train table with trundles and train set from Costco (way cheaper than the "Thomas" set). But I am using my 40% coupons from the paper from Michaels to pick up the real Thomas stuff cheaper there to add to the table so that my ds can play with all of the characters. So I literally go in and buy one Thomas thing at a time when I have a coupon.

My ds does like to play with Geotrax at the neighbors house, but really likes Thomas better.

If you go with Tomas...even though it is more money go with the wooden track. They change their plastic stuff almost every year! They don't connect, but other than that we have played with our Thomas for 3 years now & I've only thrown away 2 pieces of wooden track, but have thrown away whole sets of geo trax & other train sets.

I think that they have fun pushing the train on their knees! Also size, depending on how much room you have!

One of my friends husbands still have his wooden train tracks from when he was 3 yrs & he is now 32!

I was going to add...we have ds geotrax set up on a train table as well. We scored one off ebay for $50 and then dh made a trundle to fit underneath. All of his extras go in there! He can switch out pieces, layouts, etc...any time he wants. He also carries them down and builds in the living room.

I think I almost love it as much as he does!!

One good thing I love about the wooden Thomas stuff is the lifetime warrenty they have on them, no questions asked. I picked up a store display playset when KB Toys was going out of buisness. I paid $10 for it and It had tons of track and buildings but I had to pull them off the board it was on. I broke a bunch of track because of the glue and nails they used and the buildings where missing pieces. I boxed up all the bad/broken stuff and sent it back to the company. They sent me a box with all brand new buildings and track in it and I didn't pay a dime other than the small shipping charge to send it to them.

My 2 boys (5.5 & 3.5) have the Take Along Thomas, Generic wooden Train set w/thomas trains, and the Geo Trax. They love all of them but play with the Take Along Thomas the most. I've also heard the motorized Thomas trains aren't very durable. There is a newer Thomas set out that is like the GeoTrax. Not sure what it is like. If we didn't have the GeoTrax we would probably get this set. Someone posted about Thomas lifetime warranty. When Learning Curve made them they offered a lifetime warranty. But now RC2 Corp. purchased Learning Curve and the warranty is only good for 90 days. Just a heads up.

I don't know if the still do, but last year TRU had some very nice wooden train set. The were store brand, but they ran really good sales on them. We were able to get 2 sets for what we would have paid for Thomas or Geotrax. The are good quality aand my son loves them. Just another idea!!!;)

One good thing I love about the wooden Thomas stuff is the lifetime warrenty they have on them, no questions asked. I picked up a store display playset when KB Toys was going out of buisness. I paid $10 for it and It had tons of track and buildings but I had to pull them off the board it was on. I broke a bunch of track because of the glue and nails they used and the buildings where missing pieces. I boxed up all the bad/broken stuff and sent it back to the company. They sent me a box with all brand new buildings and track in it and I didn't pay a dime other than the small shipping charge to send it to them.

Not sure they do this anymore....I read last year that a different company had taken over the Thomas line, and no longer has a lifetime warranty. I have a water tower I'd LOVE to send back, but from what I read, they wouldn't take it back.

HOWEVER, hubby really wants a Geotrax set for the kids (and himself I imagine!). We currently have a train table and tons of Thomas trains for it (along with some other trains), and some of the take-along sets. The take-along Thomas train tracks are difficult for kids to put together. I have to build their tracks all the time b/c they get so frustrated with them. Our wooden track gets more use than the take-alongs do. It's not a thomas brand table, I think it's Imagianarium, but it's wonderful! (and it was cheaper!)

But after reading all of this, we'll be on the lookout for great geotrax deals!

I don't know if the still do, but last year TRU had some very nice wooden train set. The were store brand, but they ran really good sales on them. We were able to get 2 sets for what we would have paid for Thomas or Geotrax. The are good quality aand my son loves them. Just another idea!!!;)

We went with the Imaginarium (TRU store brand) and got way more than we would have with Thomas...we added some Thomas trains. Of course, now we have GeoTrax too...it just depends on if your kids want to run the trains themselves or build a track and watch them run...mine are into crashing the trains now so they play with the GeoTrax more.

Just my thoughts.;)