How do you put lights on your tree?

jdrd90

Just curious, how do you wrap the lights around your tree? I usually put about 700 lights on a 7 ft. tree. It doesn't seem to give the look I want. I think I am not wrapping them around the right way. Do you just go around and around, or around each limb? Share your secrets lol

HI, I've found the KEY to it all! I hope this helps you!

My Mom used to have separate blinky lights and the top, middle and bottom would all blink at different times and I thought it looked SILLY. I didn't really care when I was little, but just the fact that I noticed says something. :)

I use about 300-350 lights, and what I do it I take a 100 ct string of non-blinking lights and start at the bottom (so the plug is near the outlet) and put them IN to the tree farther-not out on the edges of the branches. I wrap all the way around clockwise and stretch it far enough up each time so that the end will be at the very top.

Then I take a string of 100 ct flashing lights and start at the bottom again, and put them on counter clockwise but a little farther out on the branches then the last string, and I put each layer in between where the solid-on lights were, and I make it stretch out so the end once again reaches all the way to the top. It should look pretty even each time you finish a layer.

Then I take another sting of 100 ct blinkies, and start at the bottom again wrap it clockwise (like the first string) and wrap it so it again reaches the top, and strategically place each layer wherever the tree needed another layer the most.

You said you use about 700 lights? Wow! That will be bright! So just keep alternating layers, filling dark spots as you work up, and keep changing back and forth between clockwise, and counter-...That way if you have running lights, you won't see different patterns in the tree, it will just make the tree sparkle all over.

(I acutally use running lights, not just blinking lights. But either one is good).

The reason I use at least one string of solid on lights is because no matter how the tree is flashing, there is ALWAYS some sort of light on ther tree. Then with the layers ALL wrapping UP to the TOP, you'll never get that "Bottom On, Top Off" look. That is my fear, and this is what I do every year, and my husband is always so impressed!!

I'll keep an eye on this forum and see what other tips people have. What a GREAT question!!

Good Luck!

I use alot of lights....dont know how many but alot....I put them on each layer...starting from the inside working my way to the ends....I am adding more lights this yr..I love white lights on the tree and I like them steady burning too.

I use about 300-400 lights 3 strands that stay lit and one strand that can either blink or run..I put on the stay lit lights in layers starting with the first layer closer to the inside and work out to the outside with each layer..then on the blinking/running strand I go from bottom to top Vertically and bury it into the tree a little so the cord isn't so obvious and it is really nice..I like that when they are off while blinking there are still lights that are on..

the 3 strands that stay lit I wrap clockwise around the tree

I can't remember how many I used last year, probably around the same number as you b/c we have a 7.5 foot tree.

I run the lights vertically instead of around and around the tree. This is about 10 times easier to put on and especially take off, and gives the exact same look as wraping around and around. I don't wrap the lights all around every branch, but I do wrap aorund some (maybe about every 3rd or 4th). And I always plug the lights in while I'l putting them on so that I know exactly how it's going to look.

Okay....I MAY be a little OCD in this department, but here goes....

I have a nine foot tree and I use about 15-20 strands of 100 lights. I wrap every branch. It takes me almost one whole day just to do the lights. Everyone in my fam makes fun of me, but I love the way it looks...so I still do it.

:holiday07 :holiday07 :holiday07 :holiday07 :holiday07 :holiday07 .:holiday07

p. s. I was "normal" before I took an interior design class about 12 years ago, and the designer who taught the "Christmas portion" showed us this technique and I've been sadly obsessed ever since.;)

Rather than use just the regular sized lights (which I wrap near the center) I also use the large globe ones (Walmart had them last year; for inside or outside). Each light is the size of an ornament so it's just beautiful shining through our plate glass window. I also use all white which I think looks classy.

p. s. I was "normal" before I took an interior design class about 12 years ago, and the designer who taught the "Christmas portion" showed us this technique and I've been sadly obsessed ever since.;)

Heh, yep, that is how you do a tree. I did retail trees for years and you take each branch and wrap each branch in lights, hiding the cord. You can easily go through 200 lights a foot or more using that technique, but it makes a BEAUTIFUL tree.

Now doing that on a live tree is really a challenge! I've done it on my live trees, but I just don't have the patience anymore. It takes a lot longer to do the lights using this method on a live tree. So I stopped and went back to my "old" way.

My "old" way:

Twinkle lights (not blinking!) running up the trunk of the tree. Then mini colored lights wrapped around every branch from the bottom til it starts to thin out. Then I wrap them around in circles, making sure there is at least two layers of lights per branch. I generally using 100-150 lights per foot using this method.

Okay, I used to love the twinkle, blinking lights but I can't use them anymore so I am jelouse of all of you. I have really terrible migraines and flashing lights sets them off and it's just not worth it. I used to work at a florist and I agree with the designer that if you are doing your lights right, it's going to take you all day. I am only about 5ft tall so my method involves setting up folding chairs around the tree to walk across so I can reach the top of the tree! My DH and dog love to watch (they don't help). The trick is to get the lights all the way inside the tree, back to the truck, and wrap and tuck them around the branch to hide the cords. And work the lights in layers coming out to the ends of the branches. That's why the pre-lit trees look soo pretty. Even lights all the way through the tree and no visible cords. Don't just set the light's "on" the branches. Now, I work top to bottom and I always work with the lights plugged in. YES this is much more difficult and I have about killed myself many years but you can really see what you are doing. And and have also completely decorated a tree and decided I wasn't happy with it a few days later and taken it all apart and re-done it-so I may be a bit crazy about the whole thing.

I use only fake trees with removable branches, and my trick is to wrap the trunk with lights before putting on the branches. I let the density of the tree be my guide as to what type of lights I use at the trunk. My white tree is moderately dense, so I use mini lights. However, my main green tree is exceptionally dense so I use C7 lights for extra internal illumination. Also, this is a good time to attach the multi-plug extension cord to the trunk. By running a 9-plug extension cord up the trunk, it allows me to limit training my lights end to end, and it cuts down on the amount of plugs at the base of the tree.

Once the branches are on, I work lights in a loose 'round the tree' method. I go around and tuck lights into the branches as I move. This stage is relatively sloppy and I try to be generous with the lights as I go. When I'm finished, I go back and straighten and tuck correctly.

How many lights do I use? My 7.5' dense tree will take 14 strands of 60-light LED C6 lights, plus 2 - 50 light C7 strands at the trunk. This works out to 840 LED and 100 C7 bulbs. My 6' moderately dense white tree takes 1 strand of 100 mini white lights at the trunk and 10 strands of 100 multicolor mini lights at the branches = 1100 lights! :cool: << need sunglasses...lol