Christmas at Kids School / Classroom Parties

jarerice

When my DD was in Kindergarten they didn't really have a gift exchange but I decided to do something cute but cheap anyway. (It was either that or bring in more cookies & cake - something they had plenty of already.) I bought a couple of packages of small silver colored plastic ornaments and wrote each child's name on them plus what grade and the year. That way they all had a small souvenir they could keep for years. I had my DD hand out each ornament along with a Christmas card that she had wrote out herself. I was a big hit with the parents there because the ornament was one less sugar-filled piece of food their kids would be eating before supper. LOL They were also impressed that she could read every name on the cards and ornaments without help. I took a disposable camera with me and got pics of everyone I could, all the kids were competing to see who had the cheesiest grin whenever they saw me turn their direction. :D

DD4 is in a small class and they do exchange names for gifts with an 5-8 dollar limit. We also sign up to bring in some type of food for the party. I think I sent juice boxes in last year. I also made small gift bags for the rest with things I had gotten from the Target Dollar Spot when it was 75% off. The teacher got BBW and a gift card to TAPS to pick out material she wanted.

Last year in DK (PreK or whatever else you want to call it... too many names these days) my son's class had a small gift ($5) exchange and a party. Everyone chose a name (boys got boys and girls got girls) and certain people were designated to bring certain items. Since there are three class parties each year (Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's) everyone had a turn to bring something to a party. But now that his class consists of 20 students instead of 14 I wonder how that's going to work. Anyway, I like doing the gift bags too and am already planning for them.

I am actually the room mom for my ds7's 2nd grade class this year. I have to help coordinate the parties - we have 3 - fall harvest (Halloween), Holiday, and Valentines. Parents sign up to bring treats, juice boxes, napkins, plates. I get a check from the PTO to help offset the cost of the craft project and any prizes for the games.

Usually I provide a goodie bag. I always spend more than what the PTO gives me (I did this last year for my other ds's kindergarten classroom). I baked, planned, and provided tons of prizes and goodies. The best part is the big thank you my son gave me after I did all that work. I thought he wouldn't notice but he did and it was great!!

Our kids have a gift exchange where children who wish to participate bring a gift at 5.00 or less. Boys bring boy gifts and Girls bring girl gifts. Then they randomly get to pick a gift as long as it's not the one they brought in. Some years my kids have felt "cheated" because they think they took in something nicer than everyone else. Which may be true thanks to the good values we find on here..... but now that they are older (10 & 11) they know that it's the thought that counts and that they are lucky to give out "the" gift at the party because everyone fights over the one they bring... lol....

Usually we sign up at conferences to bring in plates, napkins, snacks, drinks, etc for the holiday parties so that is pretty much first come first serve. I am sure they will allow those that don't sign up to send something in if they want to though.

I have had kids in the past that have brought in the ornaments with the names on them for all the kids and I think it's cool but my boys won't let me, they say it's too "girly" to take them in. BOYS! lol

• 4 weeks later...
Our schools aren't really allowed to do too much. The kindergarten class last year had a holiday party. I made ornaments for each of the kids & teacher. I bought the fake apple ornaments, and wrote each childs name on it w/ the year. My mom made ornaments for each of our classes when we were little, and those are still my favorite ones to hang on the tree every year. :) We also like to take in gift bags- filled with the usual stickers, bubbles, pencils, and candy. Not sure what I'm going to do this year as all 4 kids are in school - 2 in preschool, 1 in first & 1 in 8th.

I am in charge of my dd's "Winter Party" this year. I usually go to Oriental Trading in the clearance dept and get crafts. Very cheap! We do a $5 gift exchange as well, but with this age group I do the picking a little different. I place numbers on index cards and attach ribbons to them. Then I put corresponding numbers on the gifts (boy buys boy etc). The kids pick a ribbon and see which number gift they get. This eliminates the friends telling each other what they brought so they can't cheat. lol We do a game and have snacks and that pretty much uses up the time. Her teacher this year is really open to whatever we want to do. YIPPEE!!:cheesy:

We do a gift exchange no more than $5. I usually start looking at the end of summer in the Walmart toy clearance section. I got my ds5 a rescue hero for his exchange. Ds8 is starting to get to the weird age so I will probably pick up some Pro Team item closer to Christmas or on BF.

They will take a class treat in too, Toys R Us will run a BOGO on the 4 pack of playdoh, I'll get a bunch and put a jar in a treat bag. I like the full size playdoh much better than the treatsize -they are too small to do anything with.

In the past for PTO we have given student gifts like knapsacks, umbrellas, winter caps with school mascot. Last year we paid for each student to see a movie. Not sure what we are doing this year, we are just collecting fundraiser money this week.

• 3 weeks later...

I am the head room grandma for my granddaughter's 2nd grade class. The school said they can have a Halloween and Valentine's party but no Christmas/Holiday party. So I contacted the teacher that has children with different learning abilities and offered to give a Winter party. She was thrilled. The students are normally in their "regular" classroom for parties so she doesn't get to see them have party fun.

Last year was the first year and we had a great time. We played games, had cookies & milk for snacks and made a snowflake picture frame & reindeer antlers. We didn't have a gift exchange they just took home their game prizes and picture frames.

Can't wait unitl this Dec 21st to do it again.

For our Brownie's Christmas party we are asking each of them to bring a book. Then we are going to make cards and send them with the books to the local Children's hospital.

Teaching the girls to give to others and remember there are those who will not be spending Christmas at home.

Last year, my oldest's class did a week of Christmas. They each picked a name, and it was secret. M-Thu, they brought one tiny gift, like candy, or something from the dollar store. On Fri, they brought in a $5 or so gift, and revealed their "secret". They had a blast. My middle dd just exchanged on one day, and my ds's kindergarten class didn't do gifts.

we live in an area where alot of the children cant affor even $5 gifts so we dotn normally have gift exchanges. The parents usually send in juice or snacks and teh school buys pizza from the PTO fund,..last year though the teacher had us bring in a gift for my daughters 2nd grade room and which ever child didnt bring one in the teacher had extras and did it quietly so no one know who didnt bring in a gift..i thought that was nice fo her..but usually we dont do gift exchanges.

As of a couple years ago, we no longer have christmas parties due to religion, etc. I think its stupid, but all well.

We have fall parties (not allowed to call it halloween parties anymore)

Valentines party.

Thats it

Our kids don't have Christmas parties either. I contacted the teacher a few years ago and started giving them a Winter Wonderland party. I use snowmen, reindeer, snowflakes, etc. We have a great time and no one is offended.

We call it a winter party. We don't have a gift exchange in the classroom. We have a small party, which normally includes a craft, (winter theme, nothing Christmas allowed) sometimes a game, food which is supposted to be healthy, and we have a small treat bag for the kids to take home.

My school has a Christmas Party, we have caroling in the gym in the morning and then around 2:00 we have the classroom parties. Parents usually bring in treats, drinks and goodie bags. I have had parents do a small gift exchange, presents for the classroom (games, puzzles, coloring books) which is great!! Parents have done crafts and games.