leapster vs. v-smile

beavermom

Probably what you need to do is at the games he might like and which has more of those games. I noticed in Leapster (2 yrs ago) that I didn't find many games my son who was 5 at the time would play. But then again, he is the youngest with 2 older brothers and he wasn't into Dora or Spongebob or so much the learning games though I did buy him 1 Dora and 1 learning game. He played with the Leapster for a few DAYS and it has been waiting to be listed on Ebay ever since.

Slightly OT- Also unless you own stock in battery companies BUY RECHARGABLE or buy the recharging base (leapster had one 2 years ago). IMO one of the best things Nintendo did was come out with Game Boy that you recharge instead of swapping out batteries. I can NEVER find AA batteries in my house, yet I seem to buy them constantly.

We have both (the boys are 4 and 6). They definately prefer their V-Smile Pocket. (You must have the charger though...thing eats batteries). The games are slightly less expensive ($20 for V-Smile vs $25 for Leapster). The games are really good (with several versions and playing option on each cartridge). The cartridges are also easier to find marked down or on clearance (I have been finding them for $7 - $11 for the older titles!)

Now my daughter loves her leapster. She only has 4 games, but she plays them ALL the time. We have rechargeable batteries and they actually last about a week before having to swap them for the other set. She plays it most everynight, in bed before she goes to sleep.

I was having this same debate with myself. My boys will be 4 in March and I want to get one of these systems, but I have no idea which. I'm glad you started this thread beavermom :)

I was leaning towards the leapster only because I saw a Schoolhouse Rock game and my kids LOVE Schoolhouse Rock.

We have the Leapster too. It actually belongs to my oldest daughter who is almost 9 but her sister who just turned 4 has taken a liken to it now also. They both love to play with it and they fight over it all the time. The 4 year old has no problems trying to figure out how to play each game. Trying to decide if I should buy her one of her own or just buy her games geared for her and make them share the base since the oldest is getting older!

My youngest son preferred the Leapster. Plus Wal-mart in my area has some of the games on clearance now.

But I also have two older boys that had Game Boys. I found that my 5yo was hiding out and playing their GameBoys. The GameBoys have games for the younger kids too. It turned out to be cheaper for me to get the 5yo a GB and make all three share the games instead of having to buy GB games and Leapster games.

We have both and personally we have had problems with the v smile from the start only some of the games work in it and we never know whats going to happen and then we have a sad boy because he doesn't understand why we can't get it to work..He LOVES his leapster and even if they can't play the games that they have out there for them my son loves to play the games that are already in the leapster. But he does play the 4 games that we got him also.

If you decide on the GameBoy just make sure that you get the games that are Rated

E. You will be surprised how quickly they catch on to the games. My 6yo and 8yo love the Mario games, but they also liked the Sponge Bob, Dogs, Shrek, and other movie related games. I am clueless on the games, but they are pros at them.

My five year old girls both have the v-smile and they love it. They got the vsmile game unit 3 years ago (I think! It was several Christmases ago!) and last Christmas they each got a vsmile pocket. They take them EVERYWHERE and have about 10 games they share. We haven't tried a Leapster so we can't compare, but we are definitely more than satisfied with the vsmile product!

I have two boys (ages 5 and 6) and we have the V-Smile and Leapster both. The V-Smile wins hands down in popularity, and has since day one. Every once in a while they will play the Spiderman game on the Leapster, and they like the letter game, but that's about it. The V-Smile has a great selection of games and some of them are really educational. We were waiting in line the other day and my 5yo starts rattling off all these facts about different planets. I think it's great that he's learning but he's having fun too.

My DD has the vsmile and recently got the gameboy. she had quit playing the vsmile by the time she got the GB. Our experience with the vsmile is great she has 13 games for it and all work perfectly she loved it and played with it daily for several years. well worth the money on it and the games i would highly recommend it. i am just not sure what to do with the one i have.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have both. My sons leapster works awesome and grows greatly with the child. The vpocket worked for about 3 months and stopped working. A couple others I know have had the same problem so Leapster hands down on this one

My son's vsmile also stopped working about 4 months after he got it :(