Homeowners Insurance?

doreen725

Hi everyone. My home was broken into and robbed back in May 2007. It was a terrible experience, but could have been a lot worse. Anyway I am absolutely shocked and disturbed by the way I have been treated by my own insurance company. They have been snotty, rude, demanding, and just plain old mean. Once the claim is settled and complete I definitely want to switch to a different company, but I have no idea how to research this type of purchase. The company I am with now is Ameriprise, which I got through Costco membership. Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

does your car insurance offer home or renter's insurance also? i'd start there, and to top it off, you'd get a discount on BOTH your policies.

i'm in southern california also, and my renter's insurance is with AAA. i never had to file a renter's claim, and when i insured my engagement ring it was a very quick and painless process. when a car ran into me when i was on my parent's AAA policy in northern california it was very easy to report (helps when you're not at fault!) with AAA you must also buy the club membership, which is an additional 47 per year minimum depending on which membership you buy.

you can also check out progressive, farmer's, allstate.

I know this does not help you at all, but you are lucky to even be able to pick an insurer, here in florida, the only choice I have is the state run Citizen's insurance because almost all other insurers have backed out of the state. Cost on my $200,000 house is $3000 yr and I am above the highest evacuation zone, "in the safe area".

Sorry, just had to keep up complaining so this does not happen to the rest of the country!

I think many insurance companies change attitudes when there is a claim filed. They really don't like paying for things...

We have Allstate. I'd really recommend reading through policies if you could. We had to file a claim once for a flood under our house from a pipe that drained our kitchen sink and dishwasher. They said you had to report any disasters before 2 weeks and they said ours had been there for a long time. I really don't think so, as my dh had been under there not too long before and it wasn't there--and it smelled from the dirty water. Regardless, if you were on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks, and you came back to it, they would deny it. Luckily, our personal agent went to bat for us and insisted we should be given another estimate/evaluation, so they allowed a plumber to come out and determine. The first guy was an Allstate adjuster who just shined a flashlight down there and said he wasn't covering it. We ended up getting reimbursed for our costs for cleanup, but it wasn't nice to be treated like someone trying to cheat our insurance company. Thank goodness for our agent.

I second the vote for USAA and Amica. I had Amica for 4 years. Great rates, AWESOME service, and then I finally decided to get the USAA through my father's military and even better rates (saved $1k per year with higher coverages) and still great service. If you can get into either of those, I would say you can't lose!

I have Shelter Insurance and they have been awesome on both car and home insurance. I have filed claims and wasn't treated like a criminal. Unfortunately they aren't everywhere since they are a regional co. but I think that is why their rates are cheaper than most.