Christmas Trees...Real or Fake? merged

jarerice

Fake, they are sooo much easier! However I love the whole looking through the tree farm for the perfect tree and cutting it down and being all bundled up....I could go on. I guess I like the romantic notion of getting a real tree, then reality sets in and we get it home and my husband starts cussing because he can't get it straight etc. So, we have had an artificial one for several years now.

We have always done real but DH and I have talked seriously about flipping to a fake. We always hate cleaning up after the real ones. If we did decide to go with the fake we would have to take the kids to the Christmas tree farm every year to get a wreath or something lol. If not they would throw a fit.

We have a fake pre-lit (read: pain in the a$$) that is on its way out the door this year...every year, except for the first year we had it (I think 2001), it has had at least one bough that we can't figure out why it won't light...last year, it was the whole bottom section, every other bough! We will buy a new fake tree, but maybe not this year, as dh has been pushing for a real one for several years, but like all living greenery, I can't keep it alive, so I've been able to keep us from having to have one...now that we have kids and are living back up north again, though, he's wanting to do the whole, "drive into the middle of nowhere, chop down the tree, drag it home" thing...I can't stand to be cold, so I'm just as happy going to Lowe's or somewhere and having them strap it to the car! MUCH faster!!

Those of you that have pre-lit trees...I'm wondering if they're better now than they were when we first bought ours, as it was probably the first or second year they had pre-lit trees...do yours come in sections (ours has three), where you have to find several cords and hook them into a main socket in each section of the tree, or are they simpler now? this will be the deciding factor as to whether or not we buy another pre-lit tree...TIA!

We used to get a real tree, the whole cut it yourself deal, until a couple of years ago DS14 and DS17 started to complain about going out in the snow and freezing temps. Now we have a fake one and everyone is happy again!

fake....I need to buy one that has th lights on it but I love alot of white lights...tons of them and I havent seen one that has enough on it for me.....I make my self sick putting so many lights on the tree....literally...lol

I'm right there with you. I need to buy a pre-lit. It takes me HOURS to get my lights on perfectly.

Real, Love the smell and walking around the farm with the family to find the "perfect tree." A real "Christmas Vacation" moment lol. When our youngest was around 3 we would point to a tree and tell her "go look at the green one" lol she would run from tree to tree saying this one?? Nooooo the green one, she finally caught on and we cried with laughter. Kids! Good memories! We don't usually have too much of a mess. Guess we have been lucky so far, although we have had one fall over once lol. We finally had to just lean it in the corner lol I also put up 2 smaller fake ones. I love the lights!

We have 2 fake 6ft that I put up really early and then we also get a real on around Dec 8th

we go to a Christmas tree farm and ride in a hay covered trailer pulled by a tractor and then we pick and cut our own tree...its a family tradition since before we had children

we also had our real tree fall over one year all 9 feet of it...needless to say I lost a lot of ornaments that year

most Christmas tree farms will give you the limps that they cut off and you can make swags and garland out of it so you can still get that smell but with less clean up

I love the smell of a real tree but I and one son have asthma and all of us have allergies so we have a fake prelit tree that I bought on clearance from Target 5 yrs ago and it still looks great (despite the "help" I've gotten from kids putting it up). I'm thinking though of trying a real one this year, or maybe just some greenery to see how we handle it. We do have a real tree in the front yard that was a twig when we planted it but is now taller than our 1 story house.

I love a real tree... there's nothing more Christmassy than that smell!

Even when you cannot put up a real tree (there are many reasons why) you can always gather a bunch of long branches (often free where they cut X-mas trees') place them in a large heavy base vase, tie a gorgeous thick festive ribbon around the middle - you could even add those mini decorations/wrap wire-ribbon to the branches for a more festive look.

Fake--we bought a real one that we could plant after, but they said we could only have it indoors for 2 weeks, and that's just not long enough, we planted it right away, then bought a fake one. Tree goes up on BF and stays up until after New Year.

I'd really love to have a white one, so every other year I could altenrate green and white. I love the white trees with pink or blue decorations--but I wouldn't want it every year.

Growing up, my family always had a real tree each year until we moved to Australia when I was 10. There, my parents got on the fake tree kick because real ones weren't as easy to find. Back in the states now since '94, they have a pre-lit fake tree they love, but when I got married my wife and I decided we'd use a real one each year that we were able. 3 out of 4 years isn't bad, I'd say. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love a real tree... there's nothing more Christmassy than that smell!

Even when you cannot put up a real tree (there are many reasons why) you can always gather a bunch of long branches (often free where they cut X-mas trees') place them in a large heavy base vase, tie a gorgeous thick festive ribbon around the middle - you could even add those mini decorations/wrap wire-ribbon to the branches for a more festive look.

What a GREAT idea! I always wanted to be like the Griswalds and drive out to the tree farm(minus the ummm accident & frost bite) and pick out a tree but I fell in love with the fake prelits-guess I will stick to the movie...but what a great way to get that fresh tree scent in your home!

Usually fake but last year our dog decided the tree branches were nice removable snacks. And our cat decided to test some of her nine lives on eating through three different light strings. So this year it'll be real until I can snag a fake prelit one after Christmas for dirt cheap.