Homemade Holiday Gifts merged

DramaQueenLucy

This is the thread from last year. I would copy and paste it all but well I am lazy lmao. So just if anyone has questions about the things in the other thread post it here not there because noone is going to see it there since it is in the old forum.

http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60161&page=2&highlight=painted+plate

Jodi (rabx5) is the OP I believe on the angel ornaments and then Paula actually did some and posted the pictures for us to see.

Thanks for the link I think I have found this years teachers gifts this was originally posted by hbooper

Snowman Soup

The Soup:

1 package hot chocolate mix

3 Hershey Kisses

15 (or so) marshmallows

1 candy cane

Put the above items in colored plastic wrap

The Poem:

Put on paper

(click here to see label with printable poem tag)

and give with items in a mug

Was told you've been real good this year

Always glad to hear it

With freezing weather drawing near

You'll need to warm the spirit

So here's a little Snowman Soup

Complete with stirring stick

Add hot water, sip it slow

It's sure to do the trick!

Maybe put the hot chocolate in one of those cone shaped baggies then put it all in a mug.

Here are a few recipes for the dip mixes that we make. We use red and green card stock or paper to print the gift tags and add our own little note to it.

Onion Cheese Dip Mix

2 T. minced onion

1 tsp. beef bouillon granules

2 T. Parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Combine the above ingredients and stir until well blended. Place in a 3" x 4" ziplock bag and seal.

Attach a gift tag with the directions on how to prepare the dip.

(Gift Tag)

Onion Cheese Dip

1 pkg. Onion Cheese Dip Mix

2 C. sour cream

Combine the Onion Cheese Dip Mix with the sour cream. Stir until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with chips, crackers or fresh vegetables.

Bacon Dip Mix

4 T. bacon bits

2 tsp. beef bouillon granules

2 T. minced onion

1/4 tsp. minced garlic

Combine the above ingredients and stir until well blended. Place in a 3" x 4" ziplock bag and seal.

(Gift Tag)

Bacon Dip Mix

1 pkg. Bacon Dip Mix

2 C. sour cream

Combine the Bacon Dip Mix with the sour cream. Stir until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with chips, crackers or fresh vegetables.

Mexican Fiesta Dip Mix

1 T. chili powder

2 tsp. dried parsley

1 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. onion powder

1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. dried cilantro

1/8 heaping tsp. cayenne pepper

1/8 heaping tsp. pepper

1/8 heaping tsp. salt

(Gift Tag)

Mexican Fiesta Dip Mix

1 pkg. Mexican Fiesta Dip Mix

1 C. mayonnaise or salad dressing

1 C. Sour Cream

Combine the Mexican Fiesta Dip Mix with the mayonnaise and sour cream. Stir until well blended. Cover and refrigerate. Dip is better if made 8 hours before serving. Serve with chips, crackers or fresh vegetables.

this is one my friends really liked.

I picked up a basket and threw in- coffee mug, 2 packets hot chocolate, book they may like,

pop, popcorn to pop, a gift card to rent a movie at the gas station, and some small sample size lotion, and bubble bath.

You can also make cold packs with rice.:)

COLD PACK:Just fill a large freezer bag about half way with uncooked rice and freeze. The rice will retain the cold and make an efective ice pack when you need one to cool an injury.

HOT PACK:Just fill the bottom of a cotton sock (old tube sock will do) with uncooked rice and tie off the top. Microwave until hot. It may only take 30 seconds to 1 minute to reach your desired temperature so keep a close eye om it the first time you heat it up. It can burn you if you leave it in too long.

You can also add fillings like coarsely broken cinnamon sticks, lavender buds, whole cloves or whole allspice to the heat packs for a nice aroma.

These rice bags can be made in different sizes depending on their intended use. Make a longer shape to lay over the shoulders and neck, or a square one to be laid on arms or legs, or applied to the lower back.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hotpads.htm

You can also make cold packs with rice.:)

COLD PACK:Just fill a large freezer bag about half way with uncooked rice and freeze. The rice will retain the cold and make an efective ice pack when you need one to cool an injury.

HOT PACK:Just fill the bottom of a cotton sock (old tube sock will do) with uncooked rice and tie off the top. Microwave until hot. It may only take 30 seconds to 1 minute to reach your desired temperature so keep a close eye om it the first time you heat it up. It can burn you if you leave it in too long.

You can also add fillings like coarsely broken cinnamon sticks, lavender buds, whole cloves or whole allspice to the heat packs for a nice aroma.

These rice bags can be made in different sizes depending on their intended use. Make a longer shape to lay over the shoulders and neck, or a square one to be laid on arms or legs, or applied to the lower back.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hotpads.htm

I was just wondering if you made this a square could it be used as a hot pad for cooking.. I just thought that would be neat when you put your hot food on it not that our cooking doesn't smell awsome anyway but when the pot or pan goes on it wouldn't that make it smell?

I was just wondering if you made this a square could it be used as a hot pad for cooking.. I just thought that would be neat when you put your hot food on it not that our cooking doesn't smell awsome anyway but when the pot or pan goes on it wouldn't that make it smell?

I don't think it would be practical. Usually if you set a hot pan on something, you want a flat, level surface so it won't tip over and spill.

does anyone know how to make the homemade bath milks and bubblebaths we have such a big family and i was going to make a basket for each of the females with bath stuff razors shampoo comditioner some makeup nail polish and stuff like that but i wanted to put my own personal touch on each of them ...

I would love to

here are some I will post the rest when I get back from picking my daughter up from school

Spice Cake In a Jar

makes 5 jars

1 tablespoon shortening melted

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground mace

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup golden raisins

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup butter. melted

1/3 cup honey

1/3 cup sour cream

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325, brush 5 (12 ounce) sterilized canning jars with melted shortening. Place jars on a baking sheet; set aside

In a large bowl, combine flour,sugar,baking soda,cinnamon,baking powder,nutmeg,mace,and salt. Stir in pecans and raisins. In a separate bowl, combine milk,butter,honey,sour cream,egg and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Combine milk mixture with flour mixture stirring to combine well. Evenly divide batter between jars, filling each jar approximately half full. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Using kitchen towels remove one jar at a time from oven and carefully place lid and ring on each; screw lids on tightly. Cool jars on counter tops. Once jars have sealed store in a cool place for up to 1 year

Gingerbread In a Jar

makes 4 jars

1 tablespoon shortening melted

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup butter melted

1/4 cup dark molasses

1 large egg beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325, brush 4 (12 ounce) sterilized canning jars with melted shortening. Place jars on a baking sheet; set aside

In a large bowl, combine flour,sugar,ginger,cinnamon,baking powder,baking powder and salt.In a separate bowl, combine milk,butter,molasses,egg and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Combine milk mixture with flour mixture stirring to combine well. Evenly divide batter between jars, filling each jar approximately half full. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Using kitchen towels remove one jar at a time from oven and carefully place lid and ring on each; screw lids on tightly. Cool jars on counter tops. Once jars have sealed store in a cool place for up to 1 year

Carrot Nut Bread

makes 6 mini loaves

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sour cream

3 cups finely grated carrot

1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Spiced Butter (see recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour 6 (6x2 1/2 inch) mini loaf pans.

In a large bowl bear butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture beating just until combined Stir in sour cream, grated carrots, crushed pineapple and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire racks..Package with Spiced Butter

Spiced butter

makes about 2 1/4 cups

2 cups unsalted butter softened

1/2 cups confectioners sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

In a medium bowl beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy Gradually beat in remaining ingredients. separate into 6 containers and refrigerate.

Bring to room temp before serving

Homemade Vanilla Extract

makes 1 (1.75 liter) bottle

6 Madagascar vanilla beans

6 Mexican vanilla beans

1 (1.75 liter) bottle vodka

Split and scrape vanilla beans. Place scraped beans and seeds in vodka bottle. Screw cap on lightly and shake bottle vigorously. Place bottle in a cool Dark place. Shake bottle vigorously once a week for at least 3 months. Store for up to 1 year(it will darken as it ages). Using a funnel pour vanilla extract straining if desired into decorative glass jars to give as gifts

Spice Tea Mix

makes 6 (1 cup) gift mixes

2 cups orange flavored drink mix

2 cups lemon flavored ice tea mix

2 cups sweetened lemonade mix

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground allspice

in a large bowl combine orange drink mix and remaining ingredients stirring to mix well spoon into 6 (1 cup) air tight canister or decorative jars

To serve spoon 2 tablespoons mix into 1 cup hot water stir well

Try a google search for "gifts in a jar". You won't believe the hours you'll spend looking at all the ideas that are out there.

I'm too cheap to buy a book - what can I say? lol

Pinking shears and some fabric swatches are all you need for lid covers. You can buy Mason jars by the case in the grocery store - or even put a post out on Craigs list or your local freecycle. You might be able to pick some up for free. You'd just need to buy the seals.

This is a good site .. it even gives you labels to put on the jars!

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/bath-salts.shtml

They are super easy to make. The essential oils used to scent them with can be pricey - but you only use a few drops at a time so a little goes a long way.

What a cute way to use lightbulbs..I think that I'm going to have my daycare kids make these for x mas gifts to parents. (With all my attention of course!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JustMeDiana

Such neat ideas here I go off to the store. I will just add to my collection of craft stuff to do!

gotta shop :gdcar: gotta make :idea: gotta wrap:holiday02

I make wind chimes from some weird things.

I went to tag sales and got some forks, knifes and spoons.

Took one of the forks, pulled back the tines and made

a loop. Then I took the knife as it was longer, drilled a hole

@ the bottom (the thin part) took some white fishing line

made a loop and added the knife in the middle. then i took

2 forks, 2 spoons and a butter knife, drilled holes in the

part you hold on too. Then did the same thing with the

fishing line. You are done.

Also did this last year too, with the golf clubs. (these belonged

to the X). Used a Michigan Wolverines blue golf ball that I

drilled all the way threw. Tied it about 10 times, then used

both hot glue and rubber cement glue on top and bottom

of the ends.

Cut the clubs with the copper wire cutter. Sorry do not know

the real name for it.

Then had the same fishing line, going thru 2 holes I made

with the dremel. Tied them about 5 times each used the same

glues.

Love the sounds of both of them. My neighbor, said she hates

wind chimes. But she did like the sounds of both of mine.

I think I made 26 of the golf clubs, with different golf balls.

But all golf balls were bad ones and different colors.

Only got to make 14 of the silverware ones.

But have more to make this year.

thanks for all the ideas.

JustJules

I was at Michaels over the weekend and I dont know if there is a name for these but they are wooden and they can be a santa, snowman, tree or whatever anyway what they did drilled holes around the entire thing and then you stick Chirstmas lights in it after you paint it I have seen these at craft shows and they are kind of expensive so when I saw that for 9.99 I went and got one and then my grandma and aunt gave me 2 50% off coupons so I got 2 of them for what I paid for the one. I think that $5 and the time spent on it is enough! besides its the thought that counts right!..lol. :)

those blankets that you tie together make pretty nice gifts, I can get one done in about an hour sitting in front of the tv, if you watch joannes fabrics ads for sales they aren't too expensive & some walmarts carry the plain fabrics pretty cheap for one side

make bath salts with epsom salts

I love the idea of the dishrag filled with corn and the bathmilks if you would post directions/ingredients

These blankets are awesome, I made my mom, StepM, cousins, and niece, some last year. On the kids I didn't make them so big, so what I had left over i cut in half and made pillowcases to match (i made the pillows to put in them too.) Joann's was a good place to get the fleece, I caught the sale they have ALL the time and got some from WM too.:cheesy:

Colleen,

I love making mini-scrap books out of paper bags. You can buy a huge stack of holiday paper for 9.88 at JoAnns, and paper bags are cheap. Fill them with photos, or leave them empty.

i have posted directions somewhere here, I'll have to find them. For ideas, Ebay has tons if you search for 'paper bag album'.

I am also making sets of cards this year, birthday/chrismas/thank you, etc. just a variety so recipients can always have some on hand.

I have been tryin to find a way to make my daughter (3 years) a little scrapbook and my BF's sis had one, this just reminded me of it.

Also, LOOOOVE the card set idea, we are a craft obsessed family, but me, my mom and aunt only carry the crafty gene, lol. So my sister and aunt would, LOOve to have this for x-mas. My mom had gotten into the whole card making thing (as every other craft:D ) so Ill go still all her materials (as I always do:D )