Watch that $50 free with Wachovia offer

I created an account with them to get the $50 free. I looked at everything before I went through with it and never saw anything about a fee for ordering checks. I got hit with a $20 check order fee today along with a $22 overdraft fee since my google merchant deposit didnt go through until this am. Thats $42 out of the $50 free! I didnt even want checks, I only needed the debit card with it! I am trying to at least get the overdraft fee taken off! If I bring the checks into a branch (yeah, the closest one is 45min) they will refund me the $20. Steph

They did just take the $22 overdraft fee off but she said that when she folllowed the screen to open a new account, if you click order checks, it says you will be charged but no price is ever given for how much. She wont take the price of the checks off. I think if you are going to charge someone, you should have a price listed dont you? OUr checks from our bank are only $9.95! So either I keep them and eat the $20 or I drive 1 1/2 to get my $20 back

Wait, you said "My main complaint was that there was price for the checks on the site" I never saw a price anywhere! The customer service rep said the same thing, just that you will be charged for it. Maybe I will send them a certified letter as well! $20 for checks out of a $50 bonus... geesh!

I've been with Wachovia for years and will never go back. The amount they charge for over drafts and checks is crazy. Not to mention the extra that it costs to use a 3rd party ATM. Their customer service is awful. I went out to eat one night and the place double charged my card. They told me since I didn't have the receipt that I would need to go through my bank to take care of it. Between being on hold for hours, only being able to call during business hours, and having to answer the EXACT same questions 700 times to 20 different people, I was fedup. We use WaMu now. No over draft charges (unless you do it a lot) and no fees for ATM's (Only the one's that actual ATM charges you, so you usually only get hit with like $2 instead of the $4 that a lot of places will charge).

After reading this I decided to contact Customer Service via email.

I asked them why I was charged $20 for checks when it did not state what the check printing fee was.

Well I checked my account online today and guess what is showing up.... a $20 credit for the checking printing.

Thanks OP for bringing this to my attention. I probably would have just let it go being that I intend to keep the account open and need the checks anyway.

And as far as customer service goes I would say that it has been good to me.

Also, for anyone is going to keep their account open, if you enroll for the Visa Rewards by March 31, 2007 you will receive 5000 bonus points. [Points will be posted to your Visa Rewards account by May 31.]

HTH

Wachovia = "one of the 10 worst in America" (like #3 or 4 IIRC)

I currently have a complaint in with the BBB and Dept of Treasury, Office of the Comptroller of Currency (http://www.occ.treas.gov/) regardling thier disregard for the Expedited Funds Availability Act. They tried to claim a bank check is subject to a hold and "bank policy" somehow overrides federal law. Since Wachovia is a "national bank" that is the oversight agency... BTW, I have a neighbor who works for them, and she won't bank with them.

Wachovia = "one of the 10 worst in America" (like #3 or 4 IIRC)

I currently have a complaint in with the BBB and Dept of Treasury, Office of the Comptroller of Currency (http://www.occ.treas.gov/) regardling thier disregard for the Expedited Funds Availability Act. They tried to claim a bank check is subject to a hold and "bank policy" somehow overrides federal law. Since Wachovia is a "national bank" that is the oversight agency... BTW, I have a neighbor who works for them, and she won't bank with them.

We had an issue as well, where they were holding deposits and not processing them until they processed any outstanding charges ( yes, ones made AFTER the deposit was made). At on epoint they said we were negative $200, so we closed it, and disputed it. They eventually closed the account with a zero balance and no negative affect to us. I absolutely despise that bank.