Help with prescription discounts at CVS/RiteAid/Target etc.

I'm trying to take advantage of the discount coupons offered for 'new' prescriptions at these stores but have a few questions. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. What is the definition of 'new' ? If I'm an existing customer at, say, RiteAid, but have a different medicine to pick up, is that considered a 'new' prescription? Also, I've never seen coupons for Target or Walmart, but have heard that they also offered $25 gc. Is that true?

Thanks for any tips!

I don't know about target or Walmart, but I am notorious for doing this with CVS and Riteaid. A new prescription is just that, a brand new one. I've never had them give me a problem brining in my coupon for the giftcard with a new Rx in hand (even though I've bought other meds from them). I will also frequently transfer prescriptions when they offer giftcards for that.

I try to take advantage of those specials too. We had a 25.00 CVS giftcard coupon a few Sundays ago but this one was different than I had ever seen. It was only good for a transfer prescription and even then, if the med had ever been filled at CVS before (new or not) it did not qualify. I think I have one of the coupons around here, but it states in big letters, good in Florida only. Keep your eye out for others. I have never seen one for Walmart, but Target,Kmart and CVS seem to have them every couple of months.

I had one in Michigan that said for transfered prescriptions but the pharmacist let me use it this week on a new script. I figured if they didn't I would just go to rite-aid

What's a 'transferred' prescription? Is that where you're doing the refill at a different pharmacy?

What's a 'transferred' prescription? Is that where you're doing the refill at a different pharmacy?

Transferred means you transfer it from another pharmacy, the whole prescription. For example,if you have a RX at Walgreens and get a coupon for CVS, just tell CVS to transfer it to them and you will be able to redeem your coupon when it is filled. You can always transfer it back to the other pharmacy.

Sorry to butt in, I just want to give a general warning. Please, Please be careful when transferring Rx's between pharmacies. If you fill your prescriptions at several different pharmacies, you run the risk of a pharmacist not being able to warn you about drug interactions, etc. I work pt as a pharmacy tech and have seen this happen. I work at a small one owner store, but I have seen things get transferred back and forth and people getting sick due to the pharmacist looking at your record not having all your medication info. I don't want to discourage a great bargain, BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

Sorry to butt in, I just want to give a general warning. Please, Please be careful when transferring Rx's between pharmacies. If you fill your prescriptions at several different pharmacies, you run the risk of a pharmacist not being able to warn you about drug interactions, etc. I work pt as a pharmacy tech and have seen this happen. I work at a small one owner store, but I have seen things get transferred back and forth and people getting sick due to the pharmacist looking at your record not having all your medication info. I don't want to discourage a great bargain, BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

Very good point. I guess since I am a nurse I shouldn't be encouraging people to potentially put their health at risk for a few bucks. Please pay attention to the post above, she's absolutely right.

I filled my son's prescription at Target and got a $25 GC for new prescription/being a new customer. I didn't have a coupon but I asked if they had that promotion before filling it there. Not sure if it was because they just opened the pharmacy or if it is an ongoing thing. They told me I can get a $25 GC for each family member.

I filled my son's prescription at Target and got a $25 GC for new prescription/being a new customer. I didn't have a coupon but I asked if they had that promotion before filling it there. Not sure if it was because they just opened the pharmacy or if it is an ongoing thing. They told me I can get a $25 GC for each family member.

I asked them if they accept competitor coupons and they said yes. So I'll be trying this soon with the $30 RiteAid offer. :D