Washer/Dryer Set

I am in the same boat. I am looking also. Our house will be ready in about 11 weeks and we need all appliances. I have been looking at the Whirlpool Duet set. The washer is 3.8 and the 2 people who I know have the set love it. I also want the stands for them. I was told to go on Lowes website ant register that I am moving and they will send me a 10% off coupon. I am waiting to do it until I am ready to go purchase it and have it delivered to the house. Right now I have no where to store it until the house is ready. I also need one of those deals where they have no interest/no payments for at least 1 year. They have that going on right now until 2/19.

Good Luck to you in your search. Let me know if you find anything.

My Whirlpool is about 10 years old and had its first problem this week. It wouldn't agitate or spin. Service guy came yesterday (local guy, with his own repair business) and replaced a coupler that connected the transmission and motor (it has teeth that had broken/worn off). He told my hubby that he hardly ever has to work on these but that he does a LOT of work on Kenmore appliances. Hubby said he didn't come right out and say don't buy Kenmore but it sounded like it was implied. HTH. I've never had Kenmore so I can't compare from personal experience.

We purchased last year- check consumer reports....

Decided to purchase Kenmore from Sears.

:gd_dollar Cost was ~$800.00 for both washer and dryer plus $100 for delivery and taxes.

Washer (Sears item #02626862000 / Mfr. model #26862)

Kenmore 3.2 cu. ft. Super Capacity Plus Top Load Washer

Dryer (Sears item #02676642000 / Mfr. model #76642)

Kenmore 6.5 cu. ft. Super Capacity Gas Dryer

So you may benefit from my research (I don't have the sources) -

Here is some of the info I collected and used to make the best decision for us:

:g_think:

20 lbs of laundry = large load

15 lbs of laundry = medium

10 lbs of laundry = small

5 lbs of laundry = xtra small

The average wash load in current agitator washers and high-efficiency washers is about the same — approximately 12 pounds.

12 pound capacity = A full set of king sized sheets, ~4-5 large bath towels or even ~4 pair of jeans

Super capacity tubs will hold 3 to 3 1/2 cubic feet or 22 to 24 pounds of laundry

An average spin speed is 1000-1200 RPM and is usually more than sufficient.

Front loaders are more efficient but require special detergent

The best front-loader on the market is the Kenmore HE 3t and its near clone, the Whirlpool Duet (both made by Whirlpool). Experts are impressed with the water efficiency and capacity of these models. They use half the water of conventional washers.

A general rule is to have about twice as much capacity in the dryer than in the washer.

If you buy a 3.3 or 3.5 cu. ft. washer, you will need a 7 cu. ft. dryer.

Dryers costing below $350 don’t perform quite as well

Two reviewers list GE Profile models among their top picks, citing superior drying ability and numerous extra cycles.

Reviewers say nearly all mid-priced Kenmore models do a good job with the basics.

goodluck!

I have the whirlpool duet set and LOOOOVE it!!!! I have 6 kids and when this one someday dies I will be buying another. You will not regret buying this set.

How much is it and where can I find it???

Kdymott, thanks so much for your invaluable info! I will be using it a LOT in my search for a DEAL!

I bought mine at Sears, just ask an associate when they are going to have the next appliance sale. They are a bit more than some but VERY worth it. My water bill went down 23.00 a month and I can wash much larger loads so I am spending less time swapping out laundery. I buy the Tide(he) soap at Walmart and it works great!!

IF have a Sears outlet or live within driving distance that will be your best deal. I bought a Kenmore Elite HE4 front loader washer and dryer with the pedestals for about $1100 together. That was a savings of around $1,000 or maybe more. They also have cheaper models too. It's worth looking into. Hope that helps

How much is it and where can I find it???

Kdymott, thanks so much for your invaluable info! I will be using it a LOT in my search for a DEAL!

you are quite welcome!

Comparing washer/dryers was very aggravating to me.... like vacuum cleaners :banghead:

I just wanted something reliable to get the job done well the first time!

That little list took a lot of digging to put it together as I recall so I am thrilled it can serve beyond my own need.

Just a little FYI....I posted a thread here a couple weeks ago when I was looking for a fridge. I ended up searching high and low for the best deal and stumbled upon a Maytag Clearance Center. It was only 2 miles from my house and I didn't even know it exsisted. Anyway, we found our refrigerator for $400 less than it was at Sears, Best Buy or Lowes. Plus, we still got the warranty and a rebate on the delivery and installation.

Anyway, you may want to find out if there are any clearance stores near you, they had tons of washer and dryers at this place with major clearance. There is a Sears clearance center here too.

Ours did have a scratch on it, but we had to search for 15 minutes to find it and I'm just gonna color it in with a Sharpie! Anyway, just a thought for you. :smart:

msluchie,

Bought a frididaire front loading W&D set about six months ago after a great deal of research including Consumer Reports review. Quite a bit cheaper than some other brands and has performed well with no problems and a large amount of water savings.

I just got a Bosch Front loading Nexxt 500 washer and dryer. They are sooooo nice. I did a TON of research between consumer reports and other stuff. I stumbled upon a foreum that was all about washers and dryers. I read all the things people said and went with these. They won JD power for best customer service and they have a long standing history of reliablity. I think what got me is I was tossed between these and the Duet when I read a wealthy woman who has a beach house and a reg house with the Bosch in one and the Duet in the other. She was getting ready to replace the Duet even though it was a year old with a Bosch set because she liked them so much better. I know Bosch has some MIR for $100 right now

I'm in the market for a front-load washer & new dryer as well. I cannot remember if I read it on GD or some other forum, so if anyone knows the answer, please do post.

I read that front-load washers are not recommended for 1st floor installations...basement is best for these washers due to the vibration from high speed rinse/spin cycles. Unfortunately, I don't have a basement, so I'm not sure if first floor installation is a safe bet. Anyone know? I called Sears installation today and they could not answer the question one way or another. :confused:

I figured I'd come back and share the good news......you all helped so much!!!

I found a Whirlppol 5300 series pair for 699.98. Here are the specs:

Product Name: Washer/Dryer Pair

Product ID: WTW5500SQ/WED5500SQ Thanks sooooooooo much EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciated it and it helped me make a BETTER DECISION!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm still looking for a new front load washer/dryer set...can't seem to make up my mind :cheesy: and I'm looking for more reviews.

Besides Epinions, Consumer Reports and ths.gardenweb, can anyone recommend other sites where consumers post reviews of products?

Okay, I'm still looking for a new front load washer/dryer set...can't seem to make up my mind :cheesy: and I'm looking for more reviews.

Besides Epinions, Consumer Reports and ths.gardenweb, can anyone recommend other sites where consumers post reviews of products?

Sears.com allows people to post reviews of their appliances, but it's a matter of whether or not someone reviews the appliance you are interested in (and whether Sears carries it to begin with).

In October 2006 I got the Whirlpool Cabrio set. I love it. I was thinking about the Duet but decided against it since it was the front load. Several people that I knew that did a lot of laundry weren't impressed with them because if you have a problem, they lock up, water, laundry and all. You can not open them without a service technician. So for one of my friends her sons singlet was in there and he had a meet that night. Bad, bad situation for her. So I went with the Cabrio, it's high efficiency, can do a ton of laundry, no agitator, high spin speed, tons of options and best of all...saves me $25 a month on water. I have 4 kids so we do a lot of laundry here. I have cut it down to only 6 loads per week, not including sheets. I love it!

In October 2006 I got the Whirlpool Cabrio set. I love it. I was thinking about the Duet but decided against it since it was the front load. Several people that I knew that did a lot of laundry weren't impressed with them because if you have a problem, they lock up, water, laundry and all. You can not open them without a service technician. So for one of my friends her sons singlet was in there and he had a meet that night. Bad, bad situation for her. So I went with the Cabrio, it's high efficiency, can do a ton of laundry, no agitator, high spin speed, tons of options and best of all...saves me $25 a month on water. I have 4 kids so we do a lot of laundry here. I have cut it down to only 6 loads per week, not including sheets. I love it!

Can I ask where you bought the Cabrio set (i.e. Sears, Lowes, mom & pop shop)? Honestly I'm sick & tired of reading reviews, but feel that I really need to consider all of the problems that others are having with the newer washers/dryers before I sink any money into a new set. We have a 10 yr old Admiral set and they work fine overall, but are very inefficient as far as water/electric use and I've had to have the thermal fuse repaired on the dryer once a year for the last 3 years. :rolleyes:

We bought ours at the appliance store in our little small town. Pretty much a mom and pop store. We have bought every appliance there so they always work a deal with us. I think we ended up paying $1299 for the set and then received $75 from whirlpool for a rebate and another $50 rebate from our electric company. It was a big investment for us but really is already paying us back in the water savings every month. $25 per month savings for the last 5 months is already $125. Make sure you check around for rebates from Whirlpool and give your electric company a call. Many offer rebates on the high efficiency models.