Walmart to discontinue some stores Fabric Departments

kjunea

There was a story on our local news last night that said WalMart was going to discontinue the Fabric department in some of the stores. It won't be in all stores, but they haven't said which stores will be affected yet. They will instead increase the "Celebration" department in those stores with their party goods/wedding supplies, etc.\

This is very sad for me, since I use the fabric department for my school room! I cover my bulletin boards and ceiling tiles with fabric and it wears a lot better than paper!

Just thought I would give people a heads up. I'm sure they will have "closeout" prices when they start to eliminate them around!

I'm sure the smaller the department is, the more likely it will be converted. One Walmart over here has a huge inventory, while the newer one has two small aisles for the fabric department. They have really nice fabric too, especially when it goes down to $2 a yard.

I heard this awhile back and I've noticed that the fabric dept in one of our walmarts is slowly getting smaller and smaller and there's never anyone working there. The last time I got ribbon it took almost 10 minutes to get someone over there. I was just fixin to grab those scissors cut it myself but I would've had trouble with the little label maker thingy, lol.

Someone I know just spoke to an employ who told them: "they just had a meeting and were told that by the end of 2008 all of the Walmart stores will no longer carry fabric". My mother in law is very upset...... Go online to the company website and complain, or speak to managers at the stores --- that's the only way there is a chance to keep the department.

I'm not sure Walmart is doing away with them altogether. My wife works for one in the area, and they are openning up a new Supercenter. In that store they are not having a "service" fabric department; all the fabric will be pre-cut and pre-packaged. Kind of like they do with the meat on the grocery side...it comes in all packaged, so don't need onsite butchers anymore.

Our Walmart closed the fabric department few weeks ago, all Walmart's will no longer have the fabric department in 3 years is what I was told by the management of Walmart, and there was nothing we can do about it............if your Walmart is remodeling this year they will probably do away with it at that time, from what I heard from employees at my Walmart they were as shock as customers were and didnt have much notice of it, they came back on tuesday from Christmas and fabric was mark down 50% orders from head quarters is what I was told.

Our local Wal-Mart has now finished closing out the fabric department. 75% off the last week. Now the Wal-Mart in the next county was told their is closing too. So the only place left is Hobby Lobby to purchase fabric. When the notice went up that the local was closing out, there was a line at the Customer Service desk to call Wal-Mart home office to complain but fell on deaf ears. Where is Sam? Rolling over in his grave I'm sure.

I have been good and haven't gone to Walmart in weeks well I went in today WOW the entire store is a disaster and being shuffled all around and completely remodeled. I found some craft stuff, lace/ribbons moved to where the Lawn and Garden section is...but, the fabric is gone.:eek:

This sucks! I have to go 45 minutes to get to a JoAnns.

We got the report that our Wal-Mart fabric department is closing. I do know we are due a complete overall - and have been a SuperCenter for several years. The fabric rows have gotten smaller and smaller but still you could find a lot of useful items. Really sad part is we do have a sewing machine center here in town that carries fabric but it is VERY EXPENSIVE and sure doesn't have the notions that Wal Mart has had in stock. That's it for fabrics unless you go 70 miles away.

I agree, poor Sam must be spinning in his grave to see what has gone on with "his" stores over the past few years.