Macy*s to close some stores!!!

Here in central ohio:

Westland Mall (Columbus) and the in River Valley Mall (Lexington?) will start having liquidations next month!

May want to check other stores...i have been trying to look on there websites and havent found a list of stores...

WHAT????? I am getting annoyed with Macy's with all their closings and relocations. Both of those stores are near me. The River Valley Mall is in Lancaster, Ohio - about 30 minutes southeast of Columbus on Rt. 33. I'd agree with the Westland Mall closing as that mall is dead, but River Valley Mall is usually busy as it is the only mall for people in that area unless they drive to Columbus or further.

yes...Lancaster...i knew it started with an L...i was watching the news...and overheard it...

yes Westland Mall is dead! After this closing only Sears is left (and i would be surprised if they stayed any longer...)...and maybe a few small shops inside...plus across the street Toysus, Kids r us, and Media Play all left too...that part is virtually dead...its sad to see...

I guess its a consequence that comes with buying up all the competiton (Federated Co.). Since the company bought out and closed Kaufmann's, they are leaving big empty stores all around different malls. I went to Tuttle Mall in Columbus a couple of days ago and did not realize that they had TWO Macy's stores(one had been a Kaufman's). Thay has got to be dumb AND expensive!

I guess its a consequence that comes with buying up all the competiton (Federated Co.). Since the company bought out and closed Kaufmann's, they are leaving big empty stores all around different malls. I went to Tuttle Mall in Columbus a couple of days ago and did not realize that they had TWO Macy's stores(one had been a Kaufman's). Thay has got to be dumb AND expensive!

Yeah I have yet to understand that...I think the one just has men's stuff in it, not really sure, but that is all I seen from walking by it so I didn't go in.

Here in central ohio:

Westland Mall (Columbus) and the in River Valley Mall (Lancaster) will start having liquidations next month!

May want to check other stores...i have been trying to look on there websites and havent found a list of stores...

I'll be checking around down here. If they are closing...I am so there! :D

What did everyone think would happen when they bought out thousands of stores nationwide?

An upscale department store, suddenly in every shopping mall and outlet center in teh country?

Yes it is understandable that some stores will be closing, but the way they have gone about it is completely ridiculous. Perhaps only central Ohio is seeing the ridiculousness of their actions... Macy's purchased Lazarus and Kauffman's in this area and is causing quite a problem now.

Sure hate to hear this. They bought out Marshall Fields in Chicago and vicinity and it created quite an uproar when they tore down the historic old building signs and replaced them with the Macy's logo. Now they are closing stores? What a shame they don't have better management to meet the needs of the area shoppers.

Do you suppose they will clearance their perfumes or just send them off to other stores?

I'm really not all that surprised they are going out. I really loved Lazarus, but once it turned to Macy's I think it got more expensive and I could never find anything I liked in there anymore. We used to buy jewelry at Lazarus all the time, but haven't bought a thing since it went to Macy's.

usually cologne/perfume in these huge department stores are their own company from the maker's of the stuff..so when a store closes they take them back to them for refund or credit...unless the company no longer wants it..the store would clearance them out...but 99% of that stuff gets sent back

usually cologne/perfume in these huge department stores are their own company from the maker's of the stuff..so when a store closes they take them back to them for refund or credit...unless the company no longer wants it..the store would clearance them out...but 99% of that stuff gets sent back

Bummer :( I guess that's why those things are never included in the sales or coupons. Oh well. Thanks for the info though. It will keep me from getting my hopes up! :)

They also bought Filenes here in New England...their sales are not as good and I agree

the prices are higher now...

Years ago here we had KMart,Caldor,Ames,Zayres and a few other smaller department

store chains...now all that we have is Walmart and Target...they kill the competition

I guess as all these stores went out of business around here

They bought out Marshal Fields and LS Ayers here at the same mall and turned one into a Macy's and closed the other. Just stupid to lbuy these stores and then have all this dead space. I think they are trying to get rid of the regular indoor mall setup and move to the "strip mall" that's what they are doing here. But I don't like it, I don't go to a mall and just go to one store, but if I have to go outside everytime I want to go to a different store I won't be going to as many. And if the weather is bad where would you rather go?

I used to never shop at Kaufmann's when I lived in Ohio. I practically live in Macy's now.

A problem may be that even though it is one big company now, the ads are still regional. My parents live 300 miles away, I'll call them to buy a paper for a 10 off 25 coupon. They'll call back and say it isn't going on here.

Macys recently purchased the Kauffmans in Elyria Ohio. I also agree, it is now more expensive than it used to be. I haven't bought as much there since it became a Macy's.

I grew up in Kaufmanns, my mom worked there for 13 years. I like Macy's clothing much better than Kaufmanns- I don't mind paying a little more b/c I think their store brands INC & Charter Club (I think that's it) are worlds above the dated Karen Scott stuff that Kaufmanns offered. INC is modern, has nice styles & prints. Kaufmanns offered Just Friends in the little kids dept and again, I prefer Macy's Green Dog brand for the same reasons.

They bought out Famous Barr in Missouri too... straight down the toilet they went. Well.. as far as I know, they are still flushing around.

Macy's turned the May Co into Macy's Midwest, and is turning things around for the better, especially at the former Famous Barr locations.. Macy's brought in atleast a minimal level of sophisticated and upscale looking clothing.. Famous used to carry the cheapest collections from the designers, and sold them at extremely high prices, because in the St. Louis area, thats pretty much the only place people could find anything that even resembled designer. (Plaza Frontenac is the exception, but its nothing like major cities, with upscale shopping centers)

I'm quite thankful that Macy's has improved everything so much.. But then again, I'm moving to Miami in a couple months, so I don't have much time to enjoy it.