New Years?

ms_mckenna

We do not do that much for Christmas as far as food wise. We go to my brother in laws, it has always been his holiday that he did at his house. Now this coming weekend we will have a big New Years Eve party at our house. Kids and adults, mostly family. When you walk in the door you hand over your keys and stay New Years Eve until New Years day eve.

So we will have all kinds of drinks for both adults and kids for new years eve. Food will be lots of appetizers. Chips and salsa, queso, taquitos, cheese sticks, veggie platter, hot wings, & cheese squares. There will be other things that is all I have thought of at the moment.

New Years day we will get up and cook a big breakfast. Sausage, bacon, pankcakes, biscuits and gravy.

Then have our tradtional meal that afternoon. Cabbage, black eyed peas, ham, mashed taters, greens, cornbread, fried chicken, and other veggies.

Anyone make a big production out of New Years besides us? Any ideas on great appetizers or veggies that I could add to what we are already having? I know it probably sounds like a ton of food but it will be at the very least DH and our two kids and they each bring a friend. Plus 12 more people and that is being extremely conservative. It will probably be closer to double that when it is said and done. My nieces and nephews all bring thier boyfriend or girlfriend and those that do not usually bring at least one buddy with them. It would be more but we are very strict about the keys being dropped in the bowl on the way in the door. Some people will never learn I guess. :(

No idea's on the appetizers. Sounds like you definitely have that covered. Also sounds like a great plan. I like the dropping keys idea. What a great hostess! Keep em safe and off the streets.

We normally don't do much on New Years. It's pretty much low key for us. My hubby has to get up at 3 am for work that day this year so I will probably not even be up for the ball drop. Hope you have a great party! Sounds like fun.

It's my sons b-day so we have a party for him. It's just the 4 of us as a family. We go to Chuck E Cheese in the morning, then come home and play all day. Do the cake and presents thing. At night we all stay up until midnight then crash. I make little snack foods to eat all day long. Never make a huge meal. Some snacks we do are pigs in a blanket, flavored popcorn, mini pizzas, puppy chow or chex mix. Can't think what else we make.

We also do a huge New years Party w/ all our friends, we have three kids so everyone brings their kids too (it's nice noone has to find a sitter). I have everyone bring an appetizer, instead of doing an actual meal. This year I'm making meatballs & weinies ( I use cocktail sauce & grape jelly & throw it all in the crock pot) it's always real yummy!!We also do chips & dips, spinach dip & hawian bread. meat rollups..... & whatever else people bring. I love the idea of taking everyones keys, luckily almost all our friends live in the same neighborhood so if they drink their walking home :D

Ya we have one of those big glass goblets that looks like an oversized conac glass that is the place to drop keys. :) I like the idea of everyone bringing something, wish I could implement that but don't see it happening lol. Everyone is really good about bringing us drink stuff though ... usually end up with enough liquor to last the whole year lol.

I thought of another one we do that I will be adding is the cream cheese and sausage stuffed peppers wrapped in bacon. They call for jalapeno peppers but last time we made them we used small sweet peppers and they were really good.

We go out dancing every year on NY's Eve and have a few drinks. They always have a buffet set up for everyone to eat at midnight and serve champagne. We usually stay with friends overnight but this year we got a motel room so we can be alone.

Christmas is all about our children and NY's is all about me and my husband. NY's night when we get home we have tons of fireworks to set off for us and friends to enjoy.

Beorn usually crashes out at 9:00 pm, and we didn't want to pay holiday price for a sitter, so for the past 13 years Paul and I have stayed home and watched New Year's Rockin' Eve. At 13, Beorn could probably stay home alone that late ito the morning for us to go out, but this year we'll be renting a 14' u-Haul to move some stuff on the 31st. I doubt we'll even feel like staying up to midnight this year...

I always have each child invite a friend to come and spend the night we have pizza, chips and other junk food. We play video games until 11:30 then change to TV to watch the ball drop after that I send the little ones to bed and let the older ones stay up an other hour or so. I have fun with it every year. OK so maybe I am just a little crazy???

Nah you are not crazy ;). That was how ours was for a long time. We just finally added some of our friends too :P. Everyone that comes to our house is very kid orientented. The adults play card games and chit chat and the kids play video games and watch movies and play board games. Their favorite thing is it is one of the few nights of the year I let them out after dark (because there are so many adults to be eyes). They usually play tag or something else in the yard while there are adults outside :)

We don't do much. We stay home. I make a few snack items and we all stay up until midnight. We're not much of the party type, and our babysitters grew up, so we haven't had a babysitter in a couple years now. I wouldn't mind just going to a movie if we could get a sitter.

We go to my parents house every year. There is quite a bunch of us and we eat, shrimp, clams, cocktail weiners, appetizers, cakes, etc (ALL JUNK FOOD) We play games, have a drink or two, watch the kids run amuck around the house and just have fun. We usually crash there and have a tradition lancaster county new years meal of pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes.mmmmmmmmmmmmm

We're usually stuck at home with the kids, but I just got back from taking the boys to my parents' house. We have tickets to the Ravens game on Sunday! Then, we are going to hang out with some friends, but we won't be out way too late. I have to go back and get the boys on Monday because ds has school Tuesday, and dh has to work at 9 on NY.

But, now I have today and tomorrow to just hang out and get the house back in order and enjoy the peace and quiet! I almost don't know what I am going to do with myself!

Has anyone ever made those pinwheel things out of tortillas? I know they have cream cheese in them and you put it on the tortilla and roll it up then cut it into smaller pieces that are basically circles. But when I google it I come up with a bunch of different ones! Anyone have one you have used before that you would recommend?

A good friend of mine has a party every year (and the 28th is his birthday). We'll go to that this year (last year I was sick as a dog with the flu).

We're bringing ring bologna and two 2-liters of soda, so they'll be that for sure. A one of the fellow party goers has made hot wings from scratch, those were awesome! I don't know if he'll be there this time.

We usually play Texas Hold 'Em till the ball drops.

New Year's Day we'll go to my in-laws for pork & 'kraut (and parades).

Well we are getting ready for the big day :D DH ended up having to go out on a job so he called his brother to come over and put the ham on (no clue on the ham he insisted we make it lol). He also made the hotwings up and put them in the fridge so we just put them on the grill. I did the cheese platter already (montery jack, colby, cheddar, and jalapeno jack). Veggie platter broccoli, celery, carrots and cherry tomatos with ranch dip. Rotell and velvetta cheese dip is cooking in the crock pot now. Dh will stop on the way home and get a few bags of chips and salsa from Chilis ... we love them and at 2.49 a bag including salsa you cannot beat that! I will cook taquitos and pizza rolls for the kids later this evening. We are doing two kinds of peppers jalapeno and sweet peppers they are stuffed with cream cheese and sausage and wrapped in bacon. I also ended up making these tortilla roll ups http://southernfood.about.com/od/appetizersandsnacks/r/bl30429g.htm they are in the fridge now ready to cut. I made more chex mix last night. And all I can say is we better have enough food lol.

We are making virgin strawberry margaritas for the kids ... along with chocolate milk that is already mixed in the fridge lol. We have stuff for bloody marys, magaritas, some spumante for a toast late tonight, and lots of cold drinks and bottled water.

Tomorrow night we decided on simple ... fried chicken (DH cooks it with cinn and sugar it is so good), mashed potatos, cabbage, black eyed peas, and cornbread.

Hoping everyone is getting geared up for thier festivities and that you stay safe :).