Help: Ideas For My Hard To Buy Father

Every year my father ALWAYS ask for the same thing for Christmas, cologne. I AM TIRED of buying cologne for him. If he wants something he just buys it so there really isn't anything he needs or wants. He doesn't have any hobbies and he doesn't collect anything. I thought of gift cards for places he eats, but I don't like to show an actual value, even though that may be my last resort. Any help from anyone, PLEASE.:confused:

My dad is hard to buy for too. In fact, I can say that about my husband, father in law and brother in law too! AARRGGH!!! Anyway.....what about a gift basket of some of his favorite snacks or some different foods that he may like? Then maybe you could stick a gift card in with that and he wouldn't really know the entire value.

Every year my father ALWAYS ask for the same thing for Christmas, cologne. I AM TIRED of buying cologne for him. If he wants something he just buys it so there really isn't anything he needs or wants. He doesn't have any hobbies and he doesn't collect anything. I thought of gift cards for places he eats, but I don't like to show an actual value, even though that may be my last resort. Any help from anyone, PLEASE.:confused:

Well, if he watches alot of TV maybe upgrade his satellite service or NetFlix/something similar, food of the month club, basket of goodies that he likes to eat, coupons for help around the house or taking him out to dinner, giftcards are very nice but if he is like my brother, they put it in a drawer and its never used. Personalized gifts like calendars, mugs, etc that have pictures he would enjoy(ie his family, you, kids, grandkids, pets etc). Just some thoughts,

How old is he?

My father is annoying in that he goes out and buys what he wants when he wants it, so you can't buy something he needs...he already has it! For the last few years I've given him Amazon GCs.

My dad is 59....this year, I'm giving him a box set of 7 Marx Brothers DVDs from J&R. He loves The Marx Brothers, and he doesn't have them yet. So I scored big time. You might want to try old tv shows or movies.

Guys love gadgets. Our little gadget makes a wonderful gift for just about everyone, especially Dads! He can use these all year to find his keys, wallet and remote controls.

Take a look. FindOneFindAll.com $24.95 for a Set of 2.

(Promise not a cheap plug - but reading the pleas for help from loving kids and wives won me over) - DavidM

About Melbourne Designs, LLC

We are a small family run business in Arlington Texas. We have been producing our key finders for 5 years now. We answer our own phone with old fashioned customer service.

I was gonna suggest the scratch off lottery tickets too .. lol

or a warm throw to watch TV with.

M*A*S*H on DVD - doesn't every guy love M*A*S*H?

If he has a favorite cologne .. maybe get him the matching shower gel or shampoo to go with it .. that would freak him out .. lol

What about some food, maybe make him a gift basket. put snacks, a movie or sports dvd, a book or magazine and a small thing of colgone. put some slippers and a tv guide in it.

I did something similar to this for my brother's birthday one year. He's a truck driver, so he doesn't have a lot of "free" time for hobbies and stuff. But what I did was bought him a nice collapsible cooler, a 12 pk of his favorite soda, lots of snacks (chips, crackers, jerky, etc), and some of those disposable/reusable plastic bowls that he can use to take leftovers with him. I dumped all the snacks and the bowls into the cooler (he would never have used a basket! LOL) and brought in the 12 pk as he was opening the rest of the gift-- he had lots of fun digging thru it all to see what kind of "goodies" he got, plus once all the snacks and sodas were gone, he still had a nice cooler that he could tuck away and use when he needs it!:D

Also, one year for Christmas I got my teenaged nephew a gas gift card, but it seemed too impersonal by itself... so I went to Blockbuster, got one of those cardboard popcorn buckets with the unpopped corn stored in the bottom, a giftcard with enough on it to get a couple movies, and went to Wal-Mart and got some "movie-type" candies (M&M's, Reese's Pieces, Whoppers, etc.). I think I might have gotten him a funny t-shirt too... and I stuffed all of the candy, cards, etc. into the popcorn bucket and put it in a gift bag! Although in hindsight, I should have put it in a box, because guys seem to pull out one item at a time from a gift bag, then lay it down wherever...:rolleyes: But anyway, I still got that cheesy :D and a big thank you!! :yup::g_thumble

HTH!!

I second the suggestion for lottery scratch-offs. Those are always a big hit with my dad and he's difficult to buy for as well. Also, my dad loves car magazines but is too cheap to subscribe, so sometimes I'll buy a subscription to one that I've seen laying around the house more than once. Good luck!

I got my dad a cookie bouquet one year and he loved it. Also, you could go online and look up a candy web site and order him some "retro" candy just like he grew up with and might not have had in a while to put it in a gift basket.

Did he go to college? What we did for my father this year was get him a new letter jacket from Notre Dame (he's an alum)

What about a digital picture frame, with pics of kids/grandkids pre-loaded (Getting this for my mom)