Gift dilemma

Serling126

I have a little gift dilemma and I would appreciate an outside point of view...

My husband's family does a secret santa drawing among the adults with a limit of $50. With all the great deals out there, I can purchase $50 worth of gifts for much less. So then I feel obligated to spend more to get up to the $50 limit. I have the same problem with my nephew's gifts... My budget is $25 but the gifts I've gotten have been half price.

So do I spend the extra money to bring it up to the limit or do I just say I have $50 worth of gifts and leave it at that (even though I didn't spend that much)? I'm pretty certain that other family members don't go out of their way to find the best prices...

My husband says that Christmas is not about the gifts and nobody cares how much I actually spend, but he's not in charge of buying the gifts!!

I agree with your husband.. It's not about the gift.

I'm sure if you bought something that was normally in that $50 range, and you got it for 1/2 price or less, it would be fine. No one will take inventory.

You should just take pride in the fact that you found an outrageous deal, and keep it your little secret. :)

I would too. It's your excellent shopping that found those deals, which in turns saves you money. No one is going to come back and say - hey this is regularly $50 but I saw them on sale for $35 so now I deserve another $15 present.

I'd say it's ok. I think the limit is set as a limit. -Just my opinion.

I have to agree with everyone else on this one. Maybe look at it this way.. you get everything say at half price so your total is $25 and retail about $50. Now if you keep buying up to the Retail of $50 some may be upset and THINK you actually spent roughly double that ..$100. If that made any sense.

Thanks for the responses!

motoXmom.... Very good point, I never thought of it that way.

I'm always afraid that somebody's going to return the gift and find out I didn't spend the full $50. I probably won't be handing out gift receipts then... if somebody wants to return their present they can try to get store credit I guess.

But I suppose not having to spend the full $50 is compensation for getting up before the crack of dawn and standing in the freezing cold to get into walmart at 5am! :)

I'm gonna be the one that disagrees. We do a gift exchange at work with a specific dollar amount & the person I get always makes out because I find such bargains & go by what I actually spent!!

But really, I agree with what your hubby said, with family it's not about the gifts!