which tree is better fiber optic or pre-lit?

lisamag

we need to get a new christmas tree, (thanks to our rabbit who ate the cord). we had a fiber optic for the last few years and it was nice. but after it's decorated it's hard to see the lights. so i'm thinking of getting a pre-lit tree, but not sure about it since i never had one. i'm worried that with the cats they may pull the lights out and then it won't light up. has anyone had this problem, if you loose a light do they all go out? i would be greatful for any help.

We have a pre-lit tree that has fiber optic in it also. The pre-lit part is just white and green lights. I got it from Menards last year which was just a left over from the year before. I really like our tree but (everyone gonna shot me!) I actually miss putting the lights on the tree and the multi colored lights on the tree that dance to christmas music. When we have to get another tree I will go back to just a basic tree.

I don't have either, just a plain ol' artificial that I have to cut my hands up stringing with the lights. lol ;)

I get all tedious with the lights. I wrap them around every branch starting in the back at the "trunk" and have to hide all of the wires. Pain in the but to do but it's pretty when it's all decorated. :D

I don't have either, just a plain ol' artificial that I have to cut my hands up stringing with the lights. lol ;)

I get all tedious with the lights. I wrap them around every branch starting in the back at the "trunk" and have to hide all of the wires. Pain in the but to do but it's pretty when it's all decorated. :D

Oh I can't stand the lights wrapped around the branches. LOL Just irritates me. LOL

I got a pre lit tree last year. During my move in the summer I was afraid that the tree wouldn't work. The 3 big pieces were in bags and I saw my husband dragging the bags not in a good way. I just knew with my luck that some of the lights wouldn't work, luckily ALL the lights are working. I was soooo surprised! I don't remember the name of the tree but I got it at Walmart. The tree is up and it looks great!

A good friend of mine had a fiber optic tree several different years and then went to the pre-lit about 3 years ago. She said she'd never go back to fiber optic. Personally, I much prefer the pre-lit because for some odd reason the fiber optic ones sorta put me on edge. I have no idea why.

I could be wrong but I thought a fiber optic tree is simply the type of lighting and pre-lit just meant that the lights were already assembled. :confused: From what I can tell it's all a pain in the butt. Either way you're fluffy the pre-lit tree (which is defiantly not lighter, or you're putting up lights, etc. on a tree.

...Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm but every year I have to drag my grandmother's decorations down from the attic above the garage in AZ and let me tell you it doesn't get any easier each year. Although she was looking at a 12" tree. He he he! :g_dance:

I could be wrong but I thought a fiber optic tree is simply the type of lighting and pre-lit just meant that the lights were already assembled. :confused: From what I can tell it's all a pain in the butt. Either way you're fluffy the pre-lit tree (which is defiantly not lighter, or you're putting up lights, etc. on a tree.

...Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm but every year I have to drag my grandmother's decorations down from the attic above the garage in AZ and let me tell you it doesn't get any easier each year. Although she was looking at a 12" tree. He he he! :g_dance:

the tree i had had a light in the base of the stand and the tree was over it and this colored piece rotated causing a rainbow of light through the tree. it was very pretty. do the pre-lit trees come with colored lights? i haven't heard anyone mention colored lights, it's always all white, but the one's i see in ads say white or color. i never seen color lights on a pre-lit and i i like the color over all white.

I was looking for a prelit tree, my wife wanted a fiber optic, but they are fire hazard with the old hot halogen bulb and color wheel. Some company came out with LED light fiber optic tree, which is a lot safer, but they are more expensive and I just can't find a safe realistic looking fiber optic tree, so I bought a prelit tree with remote, that will allow me to adjust how the lights blink, fade, etc...this should give the samiliar effect as a fiber optic one. I should have it in a day or 2, plus the store that I bought it from had a price mistake, it was $199, but I got it for $99. not bad for a 7 1/2 ft pre-lit tree with 850bulbs.

I have had both. Actually I even had one that had both -- it was prelit but also fiber optic. The fiber optic look pretty with the changing lights, but somehow they still look cheap to me. ?? No offense if you have one, I have had them too.

I like the pre-lit better, but I am a bit more of a traditionalist.

the tree i had had a light in the base of the stand and the tree was over it and this colored piece rotated causing a rainbow of light through the tree. it was very pretty. do the pre-lit trees come with colored lights? i haven't heard anyone mention colored lights, it's always all white, but the one's i see in ads say white or color. i never seen color lights on a pre-lit and i i like the color over all white.

I have a colored pre-lit I got it at walmart last year. I would love to have a fiberoptic but can't find one.

• 2 weeks later...
:gdthankyou: i want to thank everyone for all the info they gave. we went today and got our tree. we went for a 6ft fiber optic and when we got home we tried it out, when we opened the box and i took it out it had lights on it i said he gave us a pre lite! we turned the box over and it said fiber optic WITH 100 color lights lol guess i tortured myself for nothing trying to figure out which one to get since i ended up with one that has both lol. :D:gdcool::holiday07

I have a pre lite one, but when the lighys blew it is a pain to try and find which ones, So I cut all the pre lite ones cords off and put my own white lights one it, this one we use in the family room and is not the main tree, we have to go cut that one down, Maybe this weekend