Need gift ideas for up to $150: What do *I* want for Christmas (34 y.o. guy)

Marcster

My in-laws asked my wife what I'd want for Christmas, which she turned over to me.

Although I love computer stuff, I can write off most of that for my business... I'm not much of a "gamer" beyond www.miniclip.com and www.shockwave.com... Clothes are tough, I prefer to try stuff on and pick the right colors. I still have cologne from 3 Christmas' ago (my wife can't smell, so I hardly ever wear it). And we already have a subscription to Netflix (I prefer to rent movies rather than own them -- I like watching movies once every few years).

So what do you guys think I should ask for?

I'm thinking I'd really enjoy the new $79.99 iPod Shuffle:

http://images.apple.com/ipodshuffle/images/indexsleeveguy20060912.jpg

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

I love the clip action of the new Shuffle, just clip it on and "go"...

Any other ideas? :confused: I know my in-laws prefer to get me several gifts, rather than one $150 gift. They'll also have a Christmas stocking for me with small stuff like candy, desk doo-dads, funny post-it notes, a $10 gift certificate for Panera Bread, that sort of thing.

Do you watch any shows that are on DVD?

I saw the entire series of M*A*S*H at Best Buy in the paper over the weekend. I don't remember the price though.

I saw that too. It's $179.99 for all 11 seasons (36 DVDs). That is the one show I can watch over and over.

In addition to watching it on Hallmark Channel, I've rented the first 10 seasons from Netflix (the 11th season only just released this past Tuesday).

The complete set is a heck of a deal since all of the seasons purchased individually would be $406.89!!!

I happen to be babysitting a 3 years old and I asked her what Santa should bring you and she said candy. I must have given a bad look, because she quickly said oh alright apples.

LOL she is not allowed much candy and I think she dreams of eating candy.

Each year it gets harder and harder to buy a Christmas gift for my DH. My mother has given up asking and gets him a GC to Best Buy and a GC to a food place so he can use for lunches.

Oh I like M*A*S*H good idea especially if you like watching it over and over. Frees up you NetFlix for other rentals.

:holiday08

:holiday02

Hmmmmm.... Amazon.com has the whole box set for $139.99 w/free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Martinis-Medicine-Complete-Collection/dp/B000HT3P5Q/sr=8-2/qid=1163174392/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-2135086-9180822?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It includes the movie "Mash", all 255 episodes, and some behind-the-scenes stuff. That's probably less than $1/hour of entertainment!

- A nice pair of leather gloves

- Gameboy Micro

- Pocket knife

- Magazine Subscription

- Books (your choices here :))

A nice pair of leather gloves is a possibility. I already have two different sized pocket knives (very handy though!) Too many magazines, no time for books.

However, that Gameboy looks really cool -- I would've never thought of that! Are all the games in the $25-$30 price range? (That's what I saw on Amazon). I know NOTHING about the Gameboys... http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/ththinking.gif

Oh, for anyone reading this looking for a gift for someone in my age-group, a gift subscription to Your Music would be a great gift:

http://www.yourmusic.com/gift_subscriptions/

Every month they'll get a new CD of their choosing! Costs: 3 months ($17.97), 6 months ($35.94), 9 months ($53.91) or 12 months ($71.88) increments.

The service is run by BMG music so the catalog of selections if pretty extensive! My wife and I both have subscriptions already.

Hobbies? I know I would kill that $150 at my favorite bicycle shop in a heartbeat. Paintball, hiking, are you a car guy, what do you do to unwind other then TV and computers? :) But then again owning your own buisness might not lead you to have enough hobby time... Then I think it's time to get one :D

I say go for the TIVO...it has been the best gift ever from our in-laws!

Yeah, if you don't have a Tivo yet, then go for that if there are some shows you like watching regularly. The monthly charge is probably cheaper with your cable provider though if you get one of their DVR's rather than the Tivo unit. I have DirecTV, and pay $5.99/month for the Tivo charge rather than the $13 or so that it would cost if I had one of the actual Tivo units. Of course, if you have DirecTV, try to find one of the DVR's that has the Tivo software on it. They're only 40gig drives (approx. 35 hours of time), but I've heard terrible things about the new units that use a different software. :)

Hobbies? I know I would kill that $150 at my favorite bicycle shop in a heartbeat. Paintball, hiking, are you a car guy, what do you do to unwind other then TV and computers? :) But then again owning your own buisness might not lead you to have enough hobby time... Then I think it's time to get one :D

No real time for hobbies, except photography, simple video games like www.miniclip.com, and posting on Web forums. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Happy/becky.gif

I say go for the TIVO...it has been the best gift ever from our in-laws!

Yeah, if you don't have a Tivo yet, then go for that if there are some shows you like watching regularly. The monthly charge is probably cheaper with your cable provider though if you get one of their DVR's rather than the Tivo unit. I have DirecTV, and pay $5.99/month for the Tivo charge rather than the $13 or so that it would cost if I had one of the actual Tivo units. Of course, if you have DirecTV, try to find one of the DVR's that has the Tivo software on it. They're only 40gig drives (approx. 35 hours of time), but I've heard terrible things about the new units that use a different software. :)

I'm TIVO-illiterate. Heck, we just got digital cable this Summer, and only on one TV. My cable company does offer something like that. But it'll be above the $150 spending limit, I'm sure.

Plus my in-laws would probably like something to "wrap". http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Holidays/treegifts.gif

Aww, you have very thoughtful ILs! Some great ideas. Another one I thought of is either an XM or Sirius Satellite radio.

Hey, the iPod you posted is awesome. Maybe a iTunes GC as well?

XM & Sirius are nice, I've done a couple of Sirius' online trials, but in the end, I go back to www.pandora.com or www.sky.fm. And I just don't drive enough to make it useful in the car.

Although a new in-dash CD player would be nice. The Oldsmobile's CD player is now prone to skipping and I've tried cleaning it with a lens cleaner and it didn't help.

iTunes gift cards would be a thought... I have 500+ CDs though, and two more come each month (see my post about www.yourmusic.com above). I actually just bought a 400GB hard drive to rip the CDs onto.

got have the itunes to go with the shuffle.

The games will run from $19-$39.00 for the Gameboy Micro (well that's the price for the SP & DS games)

Yeah, iTunes is my MP3 player of choice.

My wife doesn't think I'd get enough use out of a Gameboy Micro...

But keep these ideas coming! It's tough when you don't know what you need.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/N1Dunno.gif

• 3 weeks later...

:bump:

Did you ever decide on a gift?

I think I'm getting a Shuffle.

I also made a pretty strong hint to my wife that I could use a large tool chest -- I'm renovating the upstairs and right now all of my tools are in a large cardboard box (and everything finds its way to the bottom of the box). http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Angry/mmph.gif

Tools, Movies, video games, tech gadgets, etc, etc. The Ipod shuffle is a good idea. I'd get the 1Gb version.

I only want the 2nd Generation (as pictured above), and that ONLY comes as a 1GB.

And tools -- my in-laws normally get me a tool of some sort, so you're not too far off. Screwdriver set, saw horses, a stepladder, a laser level, etc.

If you're into photography, any filters you need? Lens cleaning wipes? Spare battery for your camera? Memory cards? (I picked up a SanDisk Ultra II 2gb for $19.99 at Staples on BF.) Book called Understanding Exposure? My Amazon wish list could surely find you a ton of things, lol. Unfortunately, you would have to add another "0" on the end of that to get a sweet new lens. :cheesy:

If you're tech-savvy you might like SageTV + a TV tuner card for your PC. I just bought one for myself for $139 at PCAlchemy.com (I bought the Hauppage 150 card+SageTV +remote control in a bundle). This works just like a TIVO, but you don't have to pay a subscription fee, and you can record live tv to your computer's hard drive and then output it to your television. A great use for an old computer. It is really cool, and it is wonderful to not have to watch commercials!

If you live in an urban area, you can even get a HDTV tuner card to work with Sage and an antenna to record over-the-air signals of high def broadcasts.

Jane

I hope you get it Heather! My TiVo is the best piece of entertainment equipment that we have, IMO! It's so easy to operate!

If the OP's inlaws want something to wrap, they can buy you a TiVo at Best Buy in a box.

I did not think my hubby would like the TIVO when his mom/dad gave it to us, but a year later and I don't think he could live without it! Just being able to pause and replay all his football games in slo-mo is worth it's weight in gold! And being able to set it to record any show with "Jaguars" in the title has made him a very, very happy man!

When the in-laws got it for us, it came with a hefty rebate, which she filed for. I think total it came to $99 after rebate. For us, we pay a $12.95 month service fee, as we have reg cable and not any satellite service.

I did not think my hubby would like the TIVO when his mom/dad gave it to us, but a year later and I don't think he could live without it! Just being able to pause and replay all his football games in slo-mo is worth it's weight in gold! And being able to set it to record any show with "Jaguars" in the title has made him a very, very happy man!

When the in-laws got it for us, it came with a hefty rebate, which she filed for. I think total it came to $99 after rebate. For us, we pay a $12.95 month service fee, as we have reg cable and not any satellite service.

Yes, I completely agree that it is a wise investment! It's wonderful! We pay a $4.99 fee per month for ours (satellite-Directv).

I bought my DH a Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee maker-- about $110 on sale at Kohls.

And a gps for his car but that was over $150....I am not sure what the price range is for these but you might want to check them out to see if they are in your price range.

Oh, and TiVO has changed my life. I LOVE IT!! :) I use it waaaayy more than DH. But he likes it, too.