A question on gameboy micro?

casbug10

Is the price Walmart is showing for BF a good price. I don't know much about the product.

I was thinking on getting it for my son. Any info would be appreciated and welcomed.

It actually is. How old is your son? The micro is a very small gaming system. If he is a younger child, he might need the SP or DS, which is bigger.

Yes is is a good price, but it is sooo small for a 6 year old. CC will have the SP for $49.99 and it is the perfect size for a smaller child, plus WM will price match. And I just noticed that the SP will be avilable on CC.com. But if he takes good care if his toys, then it might be o.k. for him.

My 8 yo wanted the DS but I think I am gonna just get the micro too and gice the SP we already ha e to my 5 yo, then maybe next year the DS will be less.

It not fair....I have a SP but I want a DS lite!! But I also want a laptop! Too much to choose from!! I looked a the micro, but it to small for my eyes. I am not ready to get my son portable gaming systems juuuust yet. But I get them all the time!:D

I would suggest you get a GBA SP or the Nintendo DS Lite.

The GBA Micro's screen is very small and will be very hard on a child's eyes, even though the screen is as bright as the older DS's. The Micro was mainly intended for those who wanted an extremely portable gameboy and one that was customizable (has interchangeable faceplates). Both the SP and DS allow for screen protection via their clamshell designs, whereas the Micro's screen is always open and prone for scratches.

If you can afford it, I would just spring for the Nintendo DS, as it plays gameboy advance games as well as DS games. You get the best of both worlds: young kids can start off with GBA games if the DS games are too complicated for them and later on, when they get better they can easily upgrade to DS games.

I work in the videogame department at TRU and know the trend of what kids want these days. The DS is extremely popular and TRU usually offers bundled packages for it. My guess is that the Micro is selling for so cheap because stores need to get rid of their stock of it since it isn't selling. About a month ago, TRU offered a big bundle with the Micro where one could of saved a lot of money on it. Even with the sale, I failed to sell even 1 package.

If he's 6 years-old and takes good care of his belongings, you shouldn't have any reservations with getting a DS. But if price is the issue, go with the SP and it should last him till next year when Nintendo will undoubtibly come out with a new handheld.

my kids are 5 7 and 8 and have had micros for a year now. The screen is remarkably easy to see I think and they LOVE them. They have no trouble playing on them at all....now keeping that tiny thing out of the couch cushions is a whole other issue :)

I would suggest you get a GBA SP or the Nintendo DS Lite.

The GBA Micro's screen is very small and will be very hard on a child's eyes, even though the screen is as bright as the older DS's. The Micro was mainly intended for those who wanted an extremely portable gameboy and one that was customizable (has interchangeable faceplates). Both the SP and DS allow for screen protection via their clamshell designs, whereas the Micro's screen is always open and prone for scratches.

If you can afford it, I would just spring for the Nintendo DS, as it plays gameboy advance games as well as DS games. You get the best of both worlds: young kids can start off with GBA games if the DS games are too complicated for them and later on, when they get better they can easily upgrade to DS games.

I work in the videogame department at TRU and know the trend of what kids want these days. The DS is extremely popular and TRU usually offers bundled packages for it. My guess is that the Micro is selling for so cheap because stores need to get rid of their stock of it since it isn't selling. About a month ago, TRU offered a big bundle with the Micro where one could of saved a lot of money on it. Even with the sale, I failed to sell even 1 package.

If he's 6 years-old and takes good care of his belongings, you shouldn't have any reservations with getting a DS. But if price is the issue, go with the SP and it should last him till next year when Nintendo will undoubtibly come out with a new handheld.

:gdyeahthat: I love my SP...I just want a DS for the Animal Crossing.

I have 3 kids with the ds and my 3 year old got one of their sp's since they dont play with it anymore and the ds is great even i want one even my mom wants one and shes never liked video games with the ds they can touch the screen and kind a interact more with the game besides just pushing buttons and if you have more than one they can communicate with each other through the ds they have to be 20 feet apart and they send instant messages to each other and on those long rides in our van they all talk through the ds which is nice and peacefull for me and the sp is also good and if in the future you decide to upgrade to a ds well the games from the sp will work with the ds

[future you decide to upgrade to a ds well the games from the sp will work with the ds

I'm glad to hear that, maybe we will go with the SP after all! Went to WM this morning to see if we could see how small the micro is but they didn't have any.

Lots of good advice here. Thanks so much!

Hi,

I have another question. Toys R US is selling the Micro for $34.99 and Walmart is selling it for $39.99 on BF. Last year when I bought by daughter the SP I had to wait in line for the cashier to give me the Sp and then pay for it right away. They had more on the shelves but she said they didn't have the same barcodes. So will Walmart or Best Buy price match the Micro that they just have on the shelves with the Toys R US flyer? We don't have a TRU anywhere near us. Thanks!

Hi,

I have another question. Toys R US is selling the Micro for $34.99 and Walmart is selling it for $39.99 on BF. Last year when I bought by daughter the SP I had to wait in line for the cashier to give me the Sp and then pay for it right away. They had more on the shelves but she said they didn't have the same barcodes. So will Walmart or Best Buy price match the Micro that they just have on the shelves with the Toys R US flyer? We don't have a TRU anywhere near us. Thanks!

Those SPs that were on the shelves with the different bar codes last were the newer models that had just been released (they had improved backlit screens). The BF models were the older version.

I can't get mine away from my daughter long enough to play it, but the wife and I are considering getting a GB Micro for her despite the smaller screen (2" vs 2.9").

Hi,

I called the Best Buy that I'll be standing in line on BF and asked them if they will price match the Micro and the manager said yes they will do it! He said they price match everything. Yaa, now I really don't have to go to Wal Mart!:cheesy:

I have a question for you experts too... how do the links cables work? do both people have to have a game cartridge, or does just one of you?

On the back of a game box in the top-right corner, there'll be an picture of a GBA connected to another one via a cable to show that supports a multi-link cable. There will be text usually next to this icon indicating if the game reqires multiple cartridges for multiplayer. To my knowlegde, there are only a few games that support multiplayer with one game cartridge.

I was thinking of buying this for my father who is 50ish. I have heard that it is not for large hands is this true?

It may be for large teenage/young adult hands, but I don't know about 50ish. It may be more annoying than fun. Heck it bothered me and I am not even 30!! Plus the screen is terribly small, so it kind of makes it hard too see sometimes. All in all I would not reccommend it for him, but hey you know him better than me.:gdclown:

Here are the specs:

Features:

Lithium Ion rechargeable battery

Charge lasts 6 to 10 hours; recharging takes approximately 2-1/2 hours

2-inch diagonal screen

Resolution: 240 x 160 pixels

512 out of a maximum 32,000 colors

TFT with adjustable backlight

Interchangeable faceplates

32 KB RAM, 256 KB external

32-bit RISC-CPU (16.78 MHz)

Measures 4 by 0.7 by 2 inches

Weighs approximately 2.8 ounces

Here a picture to get an idea of what size it is:

I recently purchased the ds lite for myself and it is awesome. Mostly wanted the brainage game. But I dont' want to spend that much on my stepdad. What is next best choice above micro that is reasonable price?

I think that would be the SP. Somewhere has it for 49.99 on bf. Check the ads. :)