What to buy for 10 yr old step grand daughter

I only see her for Christmas and her birthday. For her birthdays we started giving her gift certificates a couple of years ago. Want to give her gifts for Christmas. Last year it was karaoke CDs. Really don't want to ask her parents. She's been in dance for 6 years although we've never been invited to a recital.

What about clothes from a favorite store? I know my five year old is really into clothes and accessories. Is she a girly girl? What is she into? If she has a mall near her there is a thing in our mall called Club Libby Lu. I know you said no gift cards, but you could get her one to there and she could go have a "makeover". It is geared to kids, and she would come home with glittery stuff and a bag and maybe some other things. Does she like to read any certain books? Is she into music? Mine are a lot younger so I'm at a bit of a loss but I wish I could help. Movie tickets to the cinema? A movie gift basket with a gift card to a local rental place plus popcorn and goodies? I guess some more info and a price range would be helpful to offer more suggestions. Good luck

I only see her for Christmas and her birthday. For her birthdays we started giving her gift certificates a couple of years ago. Want to give her gifts for Christmas. Last year it was karaoke CDs. Really don't want to ask her parents. She's been in dance for 6 years although we've never been invited to a recital.

It is really hard to buy a gift for someone you only see twice a year and do not know what they like or what they already have. Some ideas could be a watch, jewelry with a jewelry box, an inexpensive digital camera, or some kind of magazine designed for girls her age.

How about an electonic journal, some cute PJ's, a new duffle bag with maybe some new dance tights and shoes in it. Last year I worked with alot of toys and the biggest request from little girls her age was for the password journal and music CD's. Hope this helps:)

The CD's might be hard since you might not know what she is into or what she already has. How about an MP3 player or small Ipod along with a gift certificate for some music downloads (of her choice), provided she has a computer and internet access.