What should I get for 56 deployed soldiers?

I have a friend that her husband is deployed and we sent his unit a volleyball net and ball they loved it. If they are in an area they can set up. If not we went to target last year for my daughters dad and they had small handheld magnetic games, dominoes,tic tac toe, checkers and bought one of everything and mailed it to him.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm sure they have a little time to play a game or two, at least I hope they do. Thanks.

If they're staying somewhere where they've got the equipment, DVDs, computer/video games. If they don't have that capability, some more portable (and affordable!) ideas would be playing cards and poker chips, tennis balls, footballs, frisbees, soccer balls, baseballs & mits, some current magazines, like Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated, etc., crossword puzzle books, and paperbacks.

Call your local Girl Scout Council or Boy Scout organization (sorry--I do Girl Scouts) and see if they can help "Adopt a Platoon". (You can find out the contact information for the Girl Scout Council at http://www.girlscouts.org/councilfinder/) or call your local elementary school and ask to have a Leader call you....

What a great thing to do!

Contact the local armory. I know when my hubby was there he wanted candy, gum, movies, cd's, anything from home, baby wipes, travel size things (makes for lighter back pacs). I also know alot of places will ship overseas to troops for free. (try military.com, I think they have a site)

Dollar Tree is a great place for this stuff as well. I was able to buy all hubbies guys little stockings and then filled each of them, DH said a few even cried, as they had no family to send them things!