BF 2005 CC laptop/AOL discussion

Artrageous

I was lucky enough to get a couple of the Toshiba laptops last Black friday for 199.00 w/ purchase of AOL service @ 14.95 a month for 1 year. Today I called to cancel the service and was told that there would be no early termination penalties imposed. I was asked if I'd like to continue service at 9.99 a month and I declined. The phone operator asked me what type of service I have (cable modem) and she said I could continue my current level of service with all features for free. If you haven't yet cancelled the service or are thinking of renewing at the current or even lowered rate, you may be surprised to find out it's now free...Mark

MAY want to insure yourself by contacting the method by which you PAY for AOL and tell them not to authorize anymore transactions with them. Although you may actually be ok since the year is almost up. AOL is really good about continuing to bill you after you cancel and giving you the run around. Don't say I didn't warn you lol.

I used to have AOhellfor like 6 years and trust me, cancelling your service is like trying to get out of the mob. But wow they had $199 laptops? My cousin really wants to get a laptop this year. Do you remember how much they were offering it last year without the AOL rebate?

I was lucky enough to get a couple of the Toshiba laptops last Black friday for 199.00 w/ purchase of AOL service @ 14.95 a month for 1 year. Today I called to cancel the service and was told that there would be no early termination penalties imposed. I was asked if I'd like to continue service at 9.99 a month and I declined. The phone operator asked me what type of service I have (cable modem) and she said I could continue my current level of service with all features for free. If you haven't yet cancelled the service or are thinking of renewing at the current or even lowered rate, you may be surprised to find out it's now free...Mark

Yeah I heard back in August that they were no longer charger for their high speed service so I cancelled then. No problems what so ever. No cancellation fees or anything. I had purchased 2 laptops so I figured I saved about $45 each. Total cost for my laptop= $335 Can't beat that with a stick!

The number we used was 1-888-265-8003. We received a confirmation letter from AOL, in regards to our cancelling their service...Mark

Thanks for the info! I just called the same number and cancelled mine. They did say I was under a 12 month contract, so I MIGHT see a $20 cancellation fee. But I was gonna get another $14.95 charged in a few weeks anyway, so I decided it was worth the extra $5 not to have to call back. Maybe I'l get luck and not see any charge. You get to keep your email access, not that it mattered to me. I just checked and I have 7 new messages, all from AOL. :)

Thanks for the info! I just called the same number and cancelled mine. They did say I was under a 12 month contract, so I MIGHT see a $20 cancellation fee. But I was gonna get another $14.95 charged in a few weeks anyway, so I decided it was worth the extra $5 not to have to call back. Maybe I'l get luck and not see any charge. You get to keep your email access, not that it mattered to me. I just checked and I have 7 new messages, all from AOL. :)

After hearing all the complaints of people who had hard times cancelling their AOL service, I was glad it went as smooth as it did. I too had 1 month left, but they waved it without penalty. You get to keep all the services you had under the 14.95 a month plan for free now...Mark

If you have AOL and any high speed service, Bellsouth, Comcast, etc. AOL will let you use their service for free with no haggling. One exception, if you want to remain on any kind of dial up service ( in case you DSL or cable is out) you have to pay a $4.95 month fee.

I had no problem whatsoever with doing this. They were as nice and efficient as ever.

Give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...