What is your favorite Christmas tradition?

berry1014

I love to bake christmas cookies with my daughter. Later in the evening we will turn on all the Christmas lights and turn off the regular lights, sit down together to watch Christmas movies/shows like Ruldolf, Frosty and Santa Claus the movie and munch on the freshly baked cookies. It's so nice and relaxing.

Before my grandma grew too frail she would make peppercookies every holiday season. And every season they would end up hard as a rock after two hours... but they were good. I was smart enough, as a teen, to have her translate the recipe so I could make them myself. Now that she's gone I make the cookies every year, and while they are slightly labor intensive it's worth it - especially since only I know how to get them to be soft and chewy :9

I love everyone of our traditions so I can't pick a favorite. We have quite a long list that starts pretty soon!LOL The tree and the outside decorations will go up the first of November, then we will go to the Christmas parade, Winter Wonderland, looking at Christmas lights, watch Christmas movies and lissten to music, band concerts, living nativity, then we have DD(12)'s birthday party Christmas Eve morning, snack on finger foods, dips, and such. Then we open gifts from each other and my parents. After my parents leave, we will go and exchange gifts with hubby's Mom. Then Santa will come for the kids and the dogs. When everyone wakes up, they will tear my living room apart and play while I cook breakfast, then dinner with my parents. Whew, I am tired just thinking about all of that!LOL And that's not even including Thanksgiving and BF!

We have a weird tradition in my family that I just love. About 2 weeks before Christmas we put small things in the stockings. A piece of candy, a yo-yo, things like that, but every year I put my own spin on it by writing a letter from Santa on the computer and putting it their stockings. My youngest son really loves it. He feels special Santa wrote him a personal letter saying he was working on the specific toy he wants. What kid doesn't want to hear "Jordan I have three of my very best elves working on your Star Wars Millinium Falcon. If you are still on the my nice list at Christmas, I'm sure it will be ready for you under the tree.;)

It's just my hubby and I and I had to really think before could find our "tradition". We watch a sequence of movies while putting up the tree. Chralie Brown, the grinch, Mickeys' christmas carol, the night before christmas ( which usually takes us to the end of the tree decorating) and top it off with Christmas vacation.

Making Christmas cookies with Mom and sisters around Thanksgiving. The recipies are about 150+ years old and handed down from generation to generation. We've been sworn to secrecy, with penalty of being kicked out of the will, if we give out the recipies to anyone outside the immediate family.

Also, Checking out the huge displays of lights on other houses, Watching Christmas movies, and just beign with the family.

There's a Christmas Cake recipe that my grandmother learned with her mom. My mom never wanted to learn it, so grandma taught me. Grandma died a couple of years ago, so now I'm the only one in the family that knows how to make it. It's pretty easy, but I've got the official Christmas Cake Maker position!!!!