New to Ebay, is this as good as it seems?

shanni

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280038022037

My daughter plays this instrument, we have been renting 1 for 238.00 a year, the cheapest one we've been able to find was over 2,000.00.

How can this one on ebay be so cheap? Am I missing something? Thanks for you help:D

There are still 3 days remaining on the auction so it does still have plenty of time for the price to increase. Most bidding on Ebay items happens within the last minute or two of the auction. Also be sure to keep in mind if you are new to ebay to make sure you know the shipping charges before you bid on something. That particular auction was like $45.00 shipping. Not sure what kind of market there is on something like that though so you may get a good deal on it.

The seller has pretty good feedback, so you should be safe there. As mentioned, the item will probably sell for much higher than the current bid. If this is truly a $2,000 item, don't expect this one to be of very high quality if the seller is willing to sell it for $100 or $200. That may be perfect, though, for your daughter. Check out the return policy to make sure you're comfortable with it.

I played that in school and I think we paid around $2000 for mine. I have seen good deals on them on eBay. If you want a good financing, you could get it from www.musiciansfriend.com and apply for their 0% for 12 months credit card.

Shes 10 years old, this is her 2nd year of playing the baritone. I've already spent 476.00 renting one (which is in terrible condition). I will be able to get a refund for the rest of the year if I return it.

Since she is only 10, I don't want to spend that kind of money on an instrument. I dont want her to feel like she can't switch insturments if she wants to try something new. And if we paid 2K for a baritone, I wouldn't be very happy if she wanted to change instruments!

I'm a little confused (not surprising) about the description.

At the top it's at something like a $3.xx bid, no reserve.

But down in the picture and the description, it shows:

Manufacturer: Titan

Suggested Retail: $999.99

SKU #: BHP-500

Starting Bid: $199.99

Item Condition: New

Buy it Now Price: $209.99

Year Made/Model: 2006

Warranty: 5 Years

Teacher approved: Yes

Insured Shipping and Handling: $44.90

I'm a little confused (not surprising) about the description.

At the top it's at something like a $3.xx bid, no reserve.

But down in the picture and the description, it shows:

Manufacturer: Titan

Suggested Retail: $999.99

SKU #: BHP-500

Starting Bid: $199.99

Item Condition: New

Buy it Now Price: $209.99

Year Made/Model: 2006

Warranty: 5 Years

Teacher approved: Yes

Insured Shipping and Handling: $44.90

Yeah I don't get that either......

It looks like you can buy one new or used (depending on quality) for less than $250 on eBay. Here's a BIN option for a beginner quality horn: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VICTORY-ELITE-BARITONE-HORN-OUTFIT-LIFE-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ280038776677QQihZ018QQcategoryZ16213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How do I know if a beginner quality horn is right for her? I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one for her.

Maybe I can try to help you understand a little.

Basic principle is like this. Someone posts an item they want to sell. They can set a starting price of whatever they like. In this case it looks like it was $2.00. People place bids (5 so far) of what is the top dollar they want to pay. The computer automatically increases your bid to your top dollar each time someone bids against you.

A NR or No Reserve auction means that it can sell for as little as $2.00 (the starting price). If there is a reserve set this means they don't want to sell the item unless it sells for more than the reserve price. This is not relevant to you since it is NR.

Buy It Now - This price is what you can pay TODAY if you want to buy it at that price. You keep it out of an auction venue then. So you could definitely purchase this for that Buy it Now price. In a Buy it Now auction you will see a button to press to do just that at a set price.

Here is where the confusion comes in. The listing doesn't offer a Buy it now option although the text states a Buy It now price. Also, the text doesn't match the starting price. So Before you do anything I would suggest emailing the seller and confirming or questioning this listing. It seems there is a mistake in the listing or in the description that they should confirm before you commit to tracking this item and then become disappointed when they don't sell it because they didn't list it right.

How do I know if a beginner quality horn is right for her? I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one for her.

I used a beginner horn until I was a sophomore in HS. Then I sold that one and got an entry level professional baritone. Really, any beginner or student baritone will be fine to learn on and if she decides that she's going to stick with it and pursue it in college or compete, then maybe it's time to buy her something that's a bit better quality. I found that judges automatically were more on my side when I got the Yamaha professional baritone.

Anyway, I've never heard of that brand, so I can't attest to the quality, but you may want to take a look at this one, too, since Selman is a decent brand. http://cgi.ebay.com/90-OFF-Selman-New-2006-Brass-Bb-School-Baritone_W0QQitemZ230039663993QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16213QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I just sent him a message through ebay, hopefully he replies:tongue1:

I changed the original link. I noticed I had linked to an alto baritone, not a Bb baritone. If you daughter prefers silver, he sells both the brass and silver/nickel colored horns for the same price.

I used a beginner horn until I was a sophomore in HS. Then I sold that one and got an entry level professional baritone. Really, any beginner or student baritone will be fine to learn on and if she decides that she's going to stick with it and pursue it in college or compete, then maybe it's time to buy her something that's a bit better quality. I found that judges automatically were more on my side when I got the Yamaha professional baritone.

Anyway, I've never heard of that brand, so I can't attest to the quality, but you may want to take a look at this one, too, since Selman is a decent brand. http://cgi.ebay.com/90-OFF-Selman-New-2006-Brass-Bb-School-Baritone_W0QQitemZ230039663993QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16213QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Well aren't you the helpful little baritone player! She plays very well, you can actually tell what songs she is playing now. If she sticks with this instrument into high school, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy her a good one.

She wants me to talk to the band teacher, she wants to take 2 instruments, I don't know if that is even possible, unless she takes a string and plays in the orchestra and the band.

You are the only person I have EVER come across that played the baritone.:cheesy:

I changed the original link. I noticed I had linked to an alto baritone, not a Bb baritone. If you daughter prefers silver, he sells both the brass and silver/nickel colored horns for the same price.

Doh, I didn't even realize there was more than one type. What is the difference between them?

Doh, I didn't even realize there was more than one type. What is the difference between them?

Alto horn is in the key of Eb, baritone is in Bb. The Bb baritone is going to be the one that she's learning, since most music for schools won't even have an alto horn part written for it.

The thing that I would worry about is about the warranty. Yes it says it comes with a warranty, but can you get it repaired locally? If you have to ship the item to another state for repair that will become quite costly. How long will the repairs normally take and what would she use while the instrument is being repaired?

Renting the instrument normally gives you free repairs plus a loaner instrument while yours is being fixed.

We rent my youngests trumpet and we get free repairs. In the 1 1/2 years since we've had it, it's had to be repaired twice.

I just bought a baritone sax for my oldest daughter locally because of the repair issue. I bought a separate warranty for extended repairs and since June, the instrument has been taken in 3 times ..

Just something else practical to think about.

And when she gets to high school, she'll probably want to change instruments again - mine did - lol

My daughter plays this instrument, we have been renting 1 for 238.00 a year, the cheapest one we've been able to find was over 2,000.00.

How can this one on ebay be so cheap? Am I missing something? Thanks for you help:D

Renting an instrument is a scam... buy one asap.

I have a child playing the flute, bought from ebay last year, nice condition, plays wonderfully and this year my son joined with a Trumpet and bought from eBay and its beautiful. Both were new, came with cases and cleaning products and arrived in perfect condition and timely. I received both within 5 days time. Both were bought from the dealers on ebay with alot of feedback. They have many instruments and reasonable prices, yes I add shipping into the cost and I still got a brand new trumpet for less than $90 and flute less than $70, renting was $25 each per month so within 5 months the instruments are paid off. They can be repaired locally as with any other instrument or if bad just buy a new one! The band teacher is pleased with them too. At the beginning stage, a quality instrument is not as important as it will be later in years. But by that time, you know they will be devoted or interested in the instrument.

Guest Deals4Mommy

I don't think there was anything to worry about in that listing. The starting price was 99 cents with No Reserve. If it were $199.99, it would have started at $199.99 NOT 99 cents. My guess is that they relisted this auction and forgot to change the details, but lowered the starting price.

Also, his feedback looks great for the volume he does. It doesn't get any better than 99.4% when you are selling to hundreds of people. If they were selling junk, trust that their feedback would be no where near that percentage.