What do you wear while waiting in line BF? (threads merged)

jellybean051901

jeans,t-shirt,sweat shirt,coat,gloves....and froze to death by the time they let us in...lol

I think it is soo comical how people come dressed that day....some look like they just roll out of bed and out they go literally...lol....and some are all dolled up and dressed to kill....lol

Last year was the first time I stayed in line (8pm Thanksgiving night). I live in IL and didn't know what to expect. I dressed in jeans with thermal pants underneath, shirt, with flannel, wintercoat, scarf, gloves, hat, 2 pairs of socks with my shoes. I brought a goose down blanket and my bag fold up chair. I was still freezing. I will be ready this year.

jeans,t-shirt,sweat shirt,coat,gloves....and froze to death by the time they let us in...lol

I think it is soo comical how people come dressed that day....some look like they just roll out of bed and out they go literally...lol....and some are all dolled up and dressed to kill....lol

LOL I know what you mean. I look decent (or at least I try to)but not overly done. Don't want to scare anyone! Some people in line have told me they did just get out of bed and jump in the car.

Depends upon what the weather's like out, but if it's like last year......... insulated jeans with a Polar Fleece lining (LL Bean) over a set of thermal bike tights (I bicycle a lot....), insulating bike shirt (which is very breathable and thin but works great!) under a flannel shirt, and a Thinsulate-lined leather bomber's jacket. Thinsulate or such socks and boots. Pull on some decent gloves and a hat (indispensible as almost half of heat loss is through your head!) and you're warm!!!

And it's very easy to unlayer as the day progresses and warms.....takes just a minute or two to shed the bike tights and the undershirt.

I live in MA. Generally, I wear 2 layers of pants, the first is stretch pants, the second is jeans, I'm considering a third layer of oversized sweatpants for this year. I can take them of outside the car, if I put them on over my jeans.

Then, three layers on top, a turtle neck shirt, sweater and then a very heavy sweater. The top-most layer can be taken off while I'm in the checkout line.

For my feet, (which always freeze anyway), two pairs of socks, one VERY heavy and sneakers or boots. The tops of the socks are tucked under the stretch pants so no cold air will get in there. For my hands one pair of gloves and one heavy pair of mittens. I also put those little heat up packets in my socks and mittens. For my head, I wear a hat, ear muffs and a hooded scarf.

My coat is a heavy down storm coat, that reaches all the way down to my ankles. It also has a hood with a drawstring.

Since I will probaby end up outside at 10pm, I count my blankets as clothing. I have one flannel-backed vinyl blanket that I line my chair with. It keeps the wind from rushing thru the mesh of the the chair. The flannel side is towards me. Then a thermal blanket on top of me and a twin size comforter over that. I also have a light weight fleece blanket to drape over my head shoulders and face. That was a life saver last year, because the wind was very biting. I think I may try the Therma-Care idea this year. I'd never thought of that.

For those of you who said you think forget something, preparation is key. I pack the van a few days with my chair, blankets and a small bag that has reading material, water, snacks and anything else I think I will need. (Well actually, hubby packs it all up, I supervise. It's the least he can do, because he doesn't go out shopping with me.) When it comes time to leave on Thursday evening, all I have to do is get dressed and go.

Jeans, Hoddie with t-shirt under (it gets hot in those crowded stores sometimes), tennis shoes, my winter jacket, scraf & gloves (depending on how cold).

Awhile ago (the first year I did the big BF thing) it was raining and I remember standing outside of Toys R Us, thinking why am I doing this? But every year since my mom, sister and I have gone out to do the BF thing (except one year I couldn't go because I had surgery soon before, that was a sad year).

I am in MA and while I prepared ast year it was not enough! So I am taking my queue from you! Extra clothes. blankets and chairs!

I am in Eastern MA. where are you?- if I can ask?

I don't know if you were responding to me, but, I am in MA too. I usually shop in Framingham or Taunton/Raynham, where there are large concentrations of stores. Last year, I shopped in the Taunton/Raynham area.

Give the Heat Wraps a try. They're easy to take off and if you need to move them you can. I had one around my waist with the heat in back but it kept my whole upper body very warm. I think this year I'll also wear one for my butt! Plus the heat helped my lower back with having to stand for so many hours.

Layers of clothing, comfortable shoes, and face protection. It gets really cold overnight so make sure that you have extra just in case items ( blanket, a chair or something comfortable to sit on, gloves, hat, etc) in your car. I sat in line at BB last year and wind got really bad overnight. With all the layered clothing that I had on, I didn't have enough protection for my face and feet. I was about to give up. I was there from 8:00 thursday night until opening. Hopefully this year won't be as bad.

Thanks Kimberly, rub it in.... My fingers will probably be numb from the cold. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Weather/snowsuit.gif

rub rub rub

LOL. Sorry, Marc. Just another reason I love South Florida. Wouldn't trade it for anything. :D I'll be thinkin about ya though.